Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This is Impressive as Hell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Given his experience and accomplishments, Calais Campbell could easily take the attitude that he knows everything at his position.

But then you could argue this degree of humility and thirst for knowledge is exactly why he's as accomplished as he is.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...teammates/
Campbell is preventing himself from being stagnant. Your never too old/seasoned to learn. His teammates now gets the knowledge from Ware and Campbell to apply on the field w/respect to getting better.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
Great to see him doing what he can to stay one step ahead of father time yet again.

Equally important is that he's arming himself with more information to pass on to guys like Bryan and Allen.
Where's The Mad Dog when we need him?  I remember him clamoring for the Jags to draft Calais with their 1st round #26 pick when he came out of The U.   Most, if not all of us, thought there were too many question marks surrounding his motivation (or lack thereof).

Calais was selected in Round 2 with the 50th pick of the draft.  For the record, the Jags ended up trading their #26 pick and two 2nd round picks to move up to #8 for Derrick Harvey and then traded up in the 2nd round to pick #54 to select Quentin Groves with the pick #54.  

Wow .... if we had just taken Calais with the #26 pick and kept both 2nd round picks life would have been a little different here in Jacksonville.
https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...9091459072

Quote:Campbell typically works out on his own before practice to do a little individual work, but with Bryan and Ankou’s lockers right next to him, he took the opportunity to invite the two young linemen.

On his reasoning for inviting them, Campbell stated, “Their lockers are next to mine, so it’s a little easier to get them to come out and work on some stuff. The whole practice I was talking to guys and working on different stuff. At the end of the day, we are professionals. We just work on different things and different mindsets, understanding why I’m doing something a little better.”
Calais is an incredible teammate and an absolute professional. Kudos as always to him.
Pretty amazing dude. The return on investment we are getting with him is tremendous !!
(06-04-2019, 09:54 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Where's The Mad Dog when we need him?  I remember him clamoring for the Jags to draft Calais with their 1st round #26 pick when he came out of The U.   Most, if not all of us, thought there were too many question marks surrounding his motivation (or lack thereof).

Calais was selected in Round 2 with the 50th pick of the draft.  For the record, the Jags ended up trading their #26 pick and two 2nd round picks to move up to #8 for Derrick Harvey and then traded up in the 2nd round to pick #54 to select Quentin Groves with the pick #54.  

Wow .... if we had just taken Calais with the #26 pick and kept both 2nd round picks life would have been a little different here in Jacksonville.

Yep.  I remember TMD being right about that one.  But I also remember him saying Mike Kafka (or was it Tony Pike?) would be our franchise QB.

What's kind of mind boggling to me, is the 2008 draft was obviously a disaster that cost Shack Harris his job, but the guy had put together a solid team up to that point.  He knew how to build talent, and then he went crazy and threw it all out the window.
(06-04-2019, 11:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2019, 09:54 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Where's The Mad Dog when we need him?  I remember him clamoring for the Jags to draft Calais with their 1st round #26 pick when he came out of The U.   Most, if not all of us, thought there were too many question marks surrounding his motivation (or lack thereof).

Yep.  I remember TMD being right about that one.  But I also remember him saying Mike Kafka (or was it Tony Pike?) would be our franchise QB.

What's kind of mind boggling to me, is the 2008 draft was obviously a disaster that cost Shack Harris his job, but the guy had put together a solid team up to that point.  He knew how to build talent, and then he went crazy and threw it all out the window.

Shack did a terrible job, he busted on every first round pick of his time. The only guy even arguable as not a bust was Lewis, but even he was not even close to worth a first round pick from a stats standpoint.
(06-04-2019, 11:23 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2019, 11:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Yep.  I remember TMD being right about that one.  But I also remember him saying Mike Kafka (or was it Tony Pike?) would be our franchise QB.

Shack did a terrible job, he busted on every first round pick of his time. The only guy even arguable as not a bust was Lewis, but even he was not even close to worth a first round pick from a stats standpoint.

Lewis absolutely played up to his draft position.  He was drafted #28 overall.  Not top ten, not even close.  
Reggie Nelson just wasn't coached right in Jax.  He was eventually voted into two Pro Bowls.
I agree that the other first round selections Shack made were busts, but Shack did more than pick just one player per year.  The team's talent improved every year except the last one, even though his first three first round selections didn't perform.

This was the move that led to the downfall of the Jaguars franchise. Shack was horrible drafting in round one. The only pick he got right was Marcedes, but he was easily the pick at the spot making the pick a no brainer. At least Shack would typically redeem himself with a blockbuster pick in round two, but the trade up for Harvey was so bad he was fired the following offseason. What makes this move far more tragic is that it led to the team promoting Gene Smith to general manager, one of the single worst mistakes in NFL history. Gene Smith's drafts kept setting us more back every season. In retrospect, he destroyed the franchise.
A true TMD follower will remember him pumping the QB, Mike Reilly, from Central Washington about 10 years ago. Reilly was signed as a UDFA by the Steelers, bounced around and ended up as the CFL's Most Outstanding Player in 2017 while playing for the Edmonton Eskimos. He also was named MVP of the 2015 Grey Cup, won by Edmonton.

Get this: his contract expired after last year and according to Wiki:
"Set to become a free agent in February 2019, Reilly had a workout with the Jacksonville Jaguars in mid-December 2018."

Well, that didn't work out apparently and Reilly has now signed a 4 year contract to stay in the CFL with the BC Lions.
Not a bad call by TMD.
Dan LeFevour.
(06-04-2019, 06:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]Dan LeFevour.

Yes.  That's the one I remember now.
It sucks we needed a QB so bad that we were all discussing those guys.
(06-04-2019, 04:04 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]A true TMD follower will remember him pumping the QB, Mike Reilly, from Central Washington about 10 years ago. Reilly was signed as a UDFA by the Steelers, bounced around and ended up as the CFL's Most Outstanding Player in 2017 while playing for the Edmonton Eskimos. He also was named MVP of the 2015 Grey Cup, won by Edmonton.

Get this: his contract expired after last year and according to Wiki:
"Set to become a free agent in February 2019, Reilly had a workout with the Jacksonville Jaguars in mid-December 2018."

Well, that didn't work out apparently and Reilly has now signed a 4 year contract to stay in the CFL with the BC Lions.
Not a bad call by TMD.

Hmm.  I don't remember that one.  That was the 2009 draft and the other three mentioned were 2010.  I guess I didn't follow the board in spring 2009? Or I just wasn't forming permanent memories?
(06-04-2019, 06:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]Dan LeFevour.

...and Matt Barkley. 

Bryce Brown over Lagarette Blount was a “fun” debate he and I had too.
Who are you guys talking about?
(06-05-2019, 04:33 PM)Deacon Wrote: [ -> ]Who are you guys talking about?

TMD = The Mad Dog.

His signature said "Any guy with a [bleep] can make a baby, but it takes a true man to raise his kids!"

Rapid fire poster.  Usually insightful.  Loved college football.  Was always accused of preferring the Jets and Giants to the Jaguars, always denied it.  Got into fights.  Got banned for some reason, I wasn't following the board when he finally got banned.
[Image: ImaginaryCornyJohndory-size_restricted.gif]
(06-05-2019, 04:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Rapid fire poster.  Usually insightful.  Loved college football.  Was always accused of preferring the Jets and Giants to the Jaguars, always denied it.  Got into fights.  Got banned for some reason, I wasn't following the board when he finally got banned.

A decent synopsis of his traits, but you're missing a few important details of his personality.  Some would say, perhaps, the most important.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.
Pages: 1 2