Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Campbell: Jaguars' season 'comes down to Nick Foles'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Campbell: Jaguars' season 'comes down to Nick Foles'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...nick-foles

Jacksonville finally let go of inconsistent signal-caller Blake Bortles and replaced him with Nick Foles. According to one of Duval's most senior members, that one transaction could make all the difference
I agree to disagree. Yes NF7 can be that piece of the puzzle that catapults us to stardom, but if our defense falters especially w/new starters at the safety and LB positions, we'll be in the same boat while pointing fingers at the defense instead of the offense.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
So basically, a shot at blake, and normal football knowledge for success. If the team gels we should win some games with the talent we have; if we have another injury riddled season, then maybe we can overcome unlike last year. Foles just needs to manage the offense, and i pray to the heavens, the playcalling is finally NFL level.
(06-05-2019, 10:09 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: [ -> ]So basically, a shot at blake, and normal football knowledge for success.   If the team gels we should win some games with the talent we have; if we have another injury riddled season, then maybe we can overcome unlike last year.  Foles just needs to manage the offense, and i pray to the heavens, the playcalling is finally NFL level.

It should be.  Foles has a very high football IQ and excels at reading defenses.  You combine that and the fact that he's not greedy (he will regularly audible out of pass plays if he thinks running would be a better play, etc) is usually a recipe for success.
Seems like a fairly obvious observation. Your average QB is touching the football 600+ times a season between pass attempts and hand-offs, etc.
(06-05-2019, 10:09 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: [ -> ]So basically, a shot at blake, and normal football knowledge for success.   If the team gels we should win some games with the talent we have; if we have another injury riddled season, then maybe we can overcome unlike last year.  Foles just needs to manage the offense, and i pray to the heavens, the playcalling is finally NFL level.

The Vikings and Rams just need a guy to manage the offense. The Jaguars need a bit more than that from the QB position, but I'm confident Foles will deliver. What tape on him... not hightlights, but actual games. He's very consistent throwing strikes. 
Our other problem is we don’t have a bonafide WR that can make a play when we need it most. We’re gonna have to do the crossing stuff and motion to loosen up the defenses.

Man I really hope Fournette brings it this year.
(06-10-2019, 11:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Our other problem is we don’t have a bonafide WR that can make a play when we need it most. We’re gonna have to do the crossing stuff and motion to loosen up the defenses.

Man I really hope Fournette brings it this year.

I think we may be in for a pleasant surprise at the WR position this year. Foles is a lot more accurate and gutsy with the football. Especially when there's a 50/50 opportunity presenting itself downfield. Wouldn't be shocked at all if Westbrook or Chark put up respectable numbers in 2019.
(06-10-2019, 11:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Our other problem is we don’t have a bonafide WR that can make a play when we need it most. We’re gonna have to do the crossing stuff and motion to loosen up the defenses.

I doubt that will be Flip's strategy.  

They'll be throwing out of run sets to keep the box unstacked so they can run the ball - with a fair amount of intermediate shots downfield when they get the matchup they are looking for.
Hey 93 + 7 = 100!
Championship, baby!
I think the defense will be okay. Sputtered last year but the offense was completely inept. Josh Allen solidified our pass rush. The LB's were inconsistent anyway but Jack should be more experienced and able to take on the leadership role of the defense. Still have a top CB duo with Ramsey/Bouye. The safety play was awful and with Ronnie Harrison in the starting role I think he meshes better with the DB's. Telvin didn't have that great a year last year we have a lot of bodies to compete for his spot. Josh Allen could also stand up in nickel situations. With a recommitted offense and with a solid OL as long as the OL stays healthy we should be good, that is our biggest issue. As soon as we start playing musical chairs along the OL the offense will drastically suffer. Lee was always our most consistent WR even during the ARob days. I think we will have a good offense as long as we don't get screwed by the injury bug. That takes a lot of pressure off the defense and can play more loose.
(06-11-2019, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

I doubt that will be Flip's strategy.  

They'll be throwing out of run sets to keep the box unstacked so they can run the ball - with a fair amount of intermediate shots downfield when they get the matchup they are looking for.

In other words, we don’t have a go-to WR when we need a big play.
(06-11-2019, 10:19 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2019, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt that will be Flip's strategy.  

In other words, we don’t have a go-to WR when we need a big play.

That's not at all what I said. 

I think Westbrook will be the first guy they look to in that situation, and I think another receiver will emerge as we get into August and preseason games.  Another guy that Foles trusts who shows consistent hands. 

I'd not be the least bit surprised if play action passes to Chark and Cole become an element that "loosens up" defenses -  in addition to TE mismatch plays plus the RB screens and swing passes Flip and Foles like to run. 

DeFilippo has referenced all of these elements of the offense in his media availability (PA, TE mismatch, RB receptions) and they are all things that will keep an offense from loading the box against the run.