Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Takeaways and turnover differential in the first quarter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was curious how the Jaguars have looked in the first 4 games of Gus Bradley's tenure, so I cranked out the number of takeaways and giveaways through the first 4 games of each year.

2013: 4 takeaways(2 fumble recoveries, 2 interceptions),   8 giveaways,     -4 turnover differential

2014: 3 takeaways(2 fumble recoveries, 1 interception),     8 giveaways,     -5 turnover differential

2015: 3 takeaways(3 fumble recoveries, 0 interceptions),   4 giveaways,     -1 turnover differential

2016: 5 takeaways(2 fumble recoveries, 3 interceptions),   7 giveaways,     -2 turnover differential

So far this season, we have our highest number of interceptions and total takeaways, but Bortles' 6 interceptions are preventing us from having our first positive turnover differential.

Losing the TO battle usually means losing the game most of the time, especially for a young team.

How did penalties on the Jags look for the same time frame since this year it really seems high?

Here's how penalties stack up:

2013: 28 penalties for 210 yards

2014: 18 penalties for 156 yards

2015: 22 penalties for 224 yards

2016: 41 penalties for 392 yards

Quote:Here's how penalties stack up:

That's god awful

Thats perfect. Perfect in a sense that it should be fixable. The same for those busted coverages where DL or MLB is covering receivers. With experience thlse should go away later this year.

Wow!!!!! That is almost a full football field average per game.

That has got to change, the Jags just aren't good enough to overcome that kind of penalty yardage.

They can be the difference in close games and the Jags have already lost to close games.

And this is why we are 1-3 instead of 3-1.

I would venture to say that these penalties giving opponents opportoonies to score has directly led to Jags offense forcing the ball and causing turnovers.
MD for MJD, good research mate. Scary penalty #s. Can't be ignored. There go your 3 losses.
Exactly Skeet
Quote:I was curious how the Jaguars have looked in the first 4 games of Gus Bradley's tenure, so I cranked out the number of takeaways and giveaways through the first 4 games of each year.

2013: 4 takeaways(2 fumble recoveries, 2 interceptions),   8 giveaways,     -4 turnover differential

2014: 3 takeaways(2 fumble recoveries, 1 interception),     8 giveaways,     -5 turnover differential

2015: 3 takeaways(3 fumble recoveries, 0 interceptions),   4 giveaways,     -1 turnover differential

2016: 5 takeaways(2 fumble recoveries, 3 interceptions),   7 giveaways,     -2 turnover differential

So far this season, we have our highest number of interceptions and total takeaways, but Bortles' 6 interceptions are preventing us from having our first positive turnover differential.
I guess lets trade Bortles since he's the only reason why this team is bad and let's get back a 6 rd pick like we did for our boy Blaine Gabbert. 

Sup Leopold?
Quote:Sup Leopold?
Hello
Quote:And this is why we are 1-3 instead of 3-1.

I would venture to say that these penalties giving opponents opportoonies to score has directly led to Jags offense forcing the ball and causing turnovers.

It's also largely responsible for us having a top 10 defense in terms of yard per game while simultaneously a bottom defense still when it comes to scoring (along with turnovers). Opposing offenses are getting a ton of free yards which is directly translating into easy points.

I would be inclined to agree with your venture with the added caveat the two things feed into, and off of, each other.
Quote:It's also largely responsible for us having a top 10 defense in terms of yard per game while simultaneously a bottom defense still when it comes to scoring (along with turnovers). Opposing offenses are getting a ton of free yards which is directly translating into easy points.

I would be inclined to agree with your venture with the added caveat the two things feed into, and off of, each other.

Spot on my friend.