Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: When Would Telvin's Salary No Longer Count?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Telvin is taking up about $9 million in cap space this year.   But even though he hasn't shown up, and even though he has stated he will not play this year, he is still under contract.  

Does anyone know, at what point could that $9 million come off our salary cap?  What is the earliest date we can take that off our cap and still keep him under contract?
I really don't know, but I'd guess it's not until much closer to the season since the player could still technically return and play quite easily (in theory.) Probably the date of final camp cuts.

The CBA accounts for more fines durng training camp:

Unexcused late reporting for or absence from preseason training camp
by a player under contract except those signed as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to
Article 9—fine of $30,000 per day. For this Subsection and Subsection (vii) below, preseason training camp shall be defined as the period beginning with the first day of a
Club’s training camp through the final preseason roster reduction date.

I'm currently perusing the CBA and not seeing anything yet on this failure to report issue.

The fact that he's not communicating with the club is making this strange and it also sort-of forces their hand to fine him.
I’m beginning to think Telvin Smith took one too many shots to the noggin.
Well, I'm just wondering when the 9 million would become available for use in signing a new deal the Ngakoue.

There has to be a point where we get the 9 million back, but Telvin remains under contract. I know we can get the 9 million off this year's cap by cutting him, but I am sure we don't want to do that.

(06-17-2019, 10:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I’m beginning to think Telvin Smith took one too many shots to the noggin.

Agree.  From what I have seen, he doesn't seem very rational right now.
(06-17-2019, 10:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I'm just wondering when the 9 million would become available for use in signing a new deal the Ngakoue.  

There has to be a point where we get the 9 million back, but Telvin remains under contract.   I know we can get the 9 million off this year's cap by cutting him, but I am sure we don't want to do that.

(06-17-2019, 10:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I’m beginning to think Telvin Smith took one too many shots to the noggin.

Agree.  From what I have seen, he doesn't seem very rational right now.

We won't get that money back. Telvin is under contract, and though they don't have to pay him, the money has to be there if and when he decides to come back.
(06-17-2019, 10:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I'm just wondering when the 9 million would become available for use in signing a new deal the Ngakoue.  

Probably doesn't clear the books until preseason games start. But I didn't find anything definitive on the topic by skimming through the relevant CBA sections. 

I'd imagine the team will need to file something with the league to officially get the money freed up - and they aren't going to do that this early when there's still a chance Telvin gets his head together and returns.
(06-17-2019, 10:59 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

Probably doesn't clear the books until preseason games start. But I didn't find anything definitive on the topic by skimming through the relevant CBA sections. 

I'd imagine the team will need to file something with the league to officially get the money freed up - and they aren't going to do that this early when there's still a chance Telvin gets his head together and returns.

If they use that money and he comes back in October then they are in trouble. They won't be using it for anyone else.
(06-17-2019, 09:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't know, but I'd guess it's not until much closer to the season since the player could still technically return and play quite easily (in theory.) Probably the date of final camp cuts.

by a player under contract except those signed as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to
Article 9—fine of $30,000 per day. For this Subsection and Subsection (vii) below, preseason training camp shall be defined as the period beginning with the first day of a

I'm currently perusing the CBA and not seeing anything yet on this failure to report issue.

The fact that he's not communicating with the club is making this strange and it also sort-of forces their hand to fine him.

I’m guessing it’ll happen as soon as the team moves him to the Reserve/did not report list:

Quote: Reserve/Left Squad 

Reserve/Did Not Report: These players have either quit their teams or quit playing in the NFL and have not yet filed their retirement papers. The player’s salary doesn’t count against the cap, nor does the player count against the 90- or 53-man roster.
(06-17-2019, 11:02 AM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2019, 09:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't know, but I'd guess it's not until much closer to the season since the player could still technically return and play quite easily (in theory.) Probably the date of final camp cuts.

I’m guessing it’ll happen as soon as the team moves him to the Reserve/did not report list:

Quote: Reserve/Left Squad 

Reserve/Did Not Report: These players have either quit their teams or quit playing in the NFL and have not yet filed their retirement papers. The player’s salary doesn’t count against the cap, nor does the player count against the 90- or 53-man roster.

Thanks.  I missed that ^ 
What section of the CBA was it listed under?
(06-17-2019, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2019, 11:02 AM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]I’m guessing it’ll happen as soon as the team moves him to the Reserve/did not report list:

Thanks.  I missed that ^ 
What section of the CBA was it listed under?

Not sure.

I pulled that from one of the salary cap websites.
I heard a local sports radio show comment on the question a couple weeks ago. They speculated that the Jags would likely get the cap back in the form of additional cap rollover next season. Additionally, assuming he does remain out for the season, his contract would be extended a year as he would not receive an accrued (played) season. Again, this thought was speculation on their part, not anything definitive, but it seemed to make sense.

Here' s an article about the rule...

Quote:Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, a player can be fined up to $14,775 for skipping the first day of minicamp. If a player decides he also wants to skip the second day of camp, he can be hit with a second fine of $29,550. If that same player decides to skip the third day of minicamp, he can be fined $44,325, and keep in mind, those fines are all separate, which means a player who skips all three days could potentially be fined $88,650.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres...-minicamp/
The CBA spells it in two parts...

Quote:Article 42, Section 1 "Maximum Discipline" (a): 2011 League Year. For the 2011 League Year, the following maximum discipline schedule will be applicable:

Subsection (ix): Unexcused failure to report to or unexcused departure from mandatory offseason minicamp—maximum fine of $10,000 for the first missed day, which amount shall increase by $10,000 per day for each day of the player’s absence or departure (e.g., a player who misses all three days of minicamp may be fined up to $60,000).

That was for the 2011 league year, but this is 2019 requiring us to scroll down to...

Quote:EXHIBIT A:  MAXIMUM FINE AMOUNTS FOR 2012–2020 LEAGUE YEARS

In Exhibit A, scroll down to...

Quote:Unexcused failure to report to or unexcused departure from mandatory off-season minicamp –maximum fine per day for each day thereafter of player's absence

The fine the 2019 league year column and read down to find...

Quote:Day 1: $14,775
Day 2: $29,550
Day 3: $44,325