Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Playing dodgeball is considered "assault" now. Welcome to 2019.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Playing dodgeball is considered "assault" now. Welcome to 2019.

A 10-year-old Michigan boy has been charged with aggravated assault after he threw a ball at a classmate's head -- while playing a game of dodgeball.

https://us1035.iheart.com/featured/sarah...7l7i9sMaZ8
[Image: tumblr_m4kpy2jrB91r6rc3ao5_r2_400.gif]
The wussification of America continues.
Why the heck was the other kid even playing dodgeball when he has a medical condition that leaves him prone to head injuries?
The charges have been dropped.
(07-30-2019, 08:20 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Why the heck was the other kid even playing dodgeball when he has a medical condition that leaves him prone to head injuries?

[Laurent Robinson joke goes here]

Everyone must be able to participate.

If the alleged intentionally aimed at this kid's head, knowing his condition, that's one heckuva karmic offset looming.
I used to peg kids in the face back in 5th grade. Was glorious. It got so bad at one point they started putting bowling pins out there for us to target instead to win but I still kept aiming high. LOL.

No mercy. Seek and destroy!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Pffffft! Damn sissies. When I was young we played dodge ball with porcupines and golf balls. Every now and again we would mix in some 6 ounce pyramid sinkers.
[Image: giphy.gif]
My brother broke a kid's arm with a dodgeball back in the 80s. Neither he nor the kid ever played the game again.

As far as the now dropped lawsuit is concerned, it may have had some merit, depending on what each kid knew about the other. There were kids in my school that we knew to "take it easy" with, not because we were wimps, but because we were civilized human beings.
(07-31-2019, 02:02 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Pffffft! Damn sissies. When I was young we played dodge ball with porcupines and golf balls. Every now and again we would mix in some 6 ounce pyramid sinkers.

I would change the "sissies" thing to another word, but it would get bleeped out by the board censor software.  What the heck, they are [BLEEP].  In my youth we used to play a football related game called "smear the queer".  How would that go over in today's politically correct society?
(07-31-2019, 03:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 02:02 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Pffffft! Damn sissies. When I was young we played dodge ball with porcupines and golf balls. Every now and again we would mix in some 6 ounce pyramid sinkers.

I would change the "sissies" thing to another word, but it would get bleeped out by the board censor software.  What the heck, they are [BLEEP].  In my youth we used to play a football related game called "smear the queer".  How would that go over in today's politically correct society?

We used to play that as well. I vividly remember being smeared by four tacklers who landed on me with the football under my chest. Every last oxygen molecule in my lungs whooshed out. It was agony.
(07-31-2019, 03:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 03:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I would change the "sissies" thing to another word, but it would get bleeped out by the board censor software.  What the heck, they are [BLEEP].  In my youth we used to play a football related game called "smear the queer".  How would that go over in today's politically correct society?

We used to play that as well. I vividly remember being smeared by four tacklers who landed on me with the football under my chest. Every last oxygen molecule in my lungs whooshed out. It was agony.

I remember when that happened to Steve McNair when either (or both) Henderson and/or Stroud landed on him during a scramble. He spent at least a night in the hospital, if I remember correctly.
(07-31-2019, 01:38 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-30-2019, 08:20 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Why the heck was the other kid even playing dodgeball when he has a medical condition that leaves him prone to head injuries?

[Laurent Robinson joke goes here]

If the alleged intentionally aimed at this kid's head, knowing his condition, that's one heckuva karmic offset looming.

That's BS. If a kid has a medical condition that does not allow for a safe playing environment then the kid needs to sit it out or find something else to do.
(07-31-2019, 04:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 01:38 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ][Laurent Robinson joke goes here]

That's BS. If a kid has a medical condition that does not allow for a safe playing environment then the kid needs to sit it out or find something else to do.

I think that's what he was saying, actually. Not that every one should be forced to participate.
(07-31-2019, 05:00 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 04:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]That's BS. If a kid has a medical condition that does not allow for a safe playing environment then the kid needs to sit it out or find something else to do.

I think that's what he was saying, actually. Not that every one should be forced to participate.

Probably so. Just wanted to be clear.
(07-31-2019, 03:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 03:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I would change the "sissies" thing to another word, but it would get bleeped out by the board censor software.  What the heck, they are [BLEEP].  In my youth we used to play a football related game called "smear the queer".  How would that go over in today's politically correct society?

Queer.   Wink   

I remember as kids maybe first or second grade playing a game called “suicide” played with a tennis ball and at times a poor kid had to stand against a wall as someone pegged him with the ball.  Also tackle football.  We played dodgeball as well in PE.  But in later years it developed into “Scuds vs Cruise” insert small road cone as new target.  

I do remember one time at the end of pe when playing basketball the bell rang and we all walked to lockers and a basketball hit me in the head.  I’m pretty sure it was accidental but I opted for detention time when I beat the kid.  I mean, that freaking hurt!
(07-31-2019, 06:03 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 03:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]We used to play that as well. I vividly remember being smeared by four tacklers who landed on me with the football under my chest. Every last oxygen molecule in my lungs whooshed out. It was agony.

Queer.   Wink   

I remember as kids maybe first or second grade playing a game called “suicide” played with a tennis ball and at times a poor kid had to stand against a wall as someone pegged him with the ball.  Also tackle football.  We played dodgeball as well in PE.  But in later years it developed into “Scuds vs Cruise” insert small road cone as new target.  

I do remember one time at the end of pe when playing basketball the bell rang and we all walked to lockers and a basketball hit me in the head.  I’m pretty sure it was accidental but I opted for detention time when I beat the kid.  I mean, that freaking hurt!

I used to play most of these as well. I was kind of a big kid though so... You know haha.
(08-01-2019, 06:01 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 06:03 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Queer.   Wink   

I used to play most of these as well. I was kind of a big kid though so... You know haha.

Oddly enough, I was a small kid (still small in stature).  I used to purposely "target" and challenge the bigger guys either in football or wrestling.  I "lost" many times but there were also times that I got the better of them, especially after some "off-season" training in "free style wrestling".  It was basically judo.  Once I learned about leverage and momentum I put many big guys on their butts.
(08-01-2019, 06:01 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 06:03 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Queer.   Wink   

I was he opposite.  Being always a slender ‘scrawny” kid I felt I had something to prove.  Looking back,  think I held my own alright.  I did have the advantage of my friends on the block were all older than me.  So I had to learn to play hard and be tougher.
(08-01-2019, 06:35 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-01-2019, 06:01 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I used to play most of these as well. I was kind of a big kid though so... You know haha.

I was he opposite.  Being always a slender ‘scrawny” kid I felt I had something to prove.  Looking back,  think I held my own alright.  I did have the advantage of my friends on the block were all older than me.  So I had to learn to play hard and be tougher.

That is/was pretty much me.  We got bruises and broke bones and I would say that many of us turned out alright.
Pages: 1 2