Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Fed cuts interest rates for the first time since the financial recession
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Fed cuts interest rates for the first time since the financial recession

The Federal Reserve Opens a New Window. cut interest rates on Wednesday for the first time since the start of the financial recession more than a decade ago, hoping to preserve the 11-year economic Opens a New Window. expansion from growing global uncertainties.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/fede...-XCXoeUnHQ
(07-31-2019, 02:34 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]The Fed cuts interest rates for the first time since the financial recession

The Federal Reserve Opens a New Window. cut interest rates on Wednesday for the first time since the start of the financial recession more than a decade ago, hoping to preserve the 11-year economic Opens a New Window. expansion from growing global uncertainties.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/fede...-XCXoeUnHQ

Looks like all of that positive momentum from the Obama administration is finally starting to run out.  
Mods, please move to the Donald Trump Keeps WINNING thread!
There is no real surprise about this.  At least a month ago it was expected that The Fed was going to make a cut.  First speculation was a half point, but now it's only a quarter point (as expected).  It doesn't have as much to do about our economy as it does regarding the global economy.  Uncertainty about trade talks with China as well as the European market is what it is really all about.

With that being said, I'm not so sure about this rate cut.  I think rates should have held steady since our economy is doing well and the rate of inflation is being held in check.  However, I am no financial professional so what do I know?

(07-31-2019, 02:49 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Mods, please move to the Donald Trump Keeps WINNING thread!

The President has nothing to do with this other than the above uncertainty regarding trade with China.  Lowering interest rates is not always a good thing long term.
(07-31-2019, 02:49 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Mods, please move to the Donald Trump Keeps WINNING thread!

Dude, the Dow is down 300 points as investors are speculating on the economic slowdown -- how in the heck is this "winning" ?
(07-31-2019, 03:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

Dude, the Dow is down 300 points as investors are speculating on the economic slowdown -- how in the heck is this "winning" ?
We are trying to win the Super Bowl here, not a regular season game. Hang in there.
Think you need an economics 101 class Stroud.
(07-31-2019, 04:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 03:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Dude, the Dow is down 300 points as investors are speculating on the economic slowdown -- how in the heck is this "winning" ?
We are trying to win the Super Bowl here, not a regular season game. Hang in there.

There is no super bowl.
The clock never goes to zero.
Some people die, but their kids take over.
A lower interest rate means less returns for people who earn money off interest.
Now the Fed only controls one of the many interest rates that are out there. But the one that the fed controls can influence the others, so a lot of really wealthy folks and institutions are going to see lower returns. It's the kind of thing that should be right up Elizabeth Warren's and Bernie Sanders' alley.
The rates are supposed to be changed in response to something going wrong in the economy. But nothing appears to be going wrong right now. Jerome Powell says he is doing this proactively because he sees a high risk of something going wrong soon. I don't think that's how it's worked in the past. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be reactive, rather than proactive.
I think that a lot of what's gone right in this country since the early '70s is Fed policy. They've had the freedom to go against what the people want and they have won the confidence of the rest of the world that we will have the most stable currency. I feel like if the world starts to perceive that we change our interest rates based on how voters feel, they will have less confidence in our currency.
(07-31-2019, 04:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 03:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Dude, the Dow is down 300 points as investors are speculating on the economic slowdown -- how in the heck is this "winning" ?

Famous words of G.W. Bush
(08-01-2019, 07:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2019, 04:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]We are trying to win the Super Bowl here, not a regular season game. Hang in there.

Famous words of G.W. Bush

Your happiness seems to fluctuate with the market.

Not a good way to live.
(08-01-2019, 09:15 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-01-2019, 07:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Famous words of G.W. Bush

Your happiness seems to fluctuate with the market.

Not a good way to live.

That's not true.  Holy crap, the market is booming today !!  I'm lovin' life

PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE TRUMP IS WINNING THREAD

Trump just sent out a tweet and killed the rally.