Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Giving credit to Marqise Lee
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to admit I was wrong and give credit to Marqise Lee. I always figured he would never come back on a week to week basis and always be injury prone. But let's give credit where credit is due...he has been staying healthy these past few weeks and I give him props for that. 

Yes he has been a real help with Robinson and Hurns getting more attention

I am liking him more as an open-space receiver but he still struggles in tight coverage. His biggest problem is fighting for the ball when a DB is ready to take it away from him. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

Compared to previous seasons, Lee has definitely improved enough to earn more playing time. I like seeing him get better this year.

I haven't seen something from Lee as yet that supports his selection before Robinson or Hurns.  He'll break out in one of these games to come, but just hasn't yet. 

Quote:I haven't seen something from Lee as yet that supports his selection before Robinson or Hurns.  He'll break out in one of these games to come, but just hasn't yet. 

I always wondered why Hurns was not drafted. During his rookie season I read he should have been a third round pick.

Marqise Lee was projected as a first rounder and dropped out of it because of injuries. At the time he was a steal. He has been a big disappointment.
I agree that in terms of talent he has been disappointing. I just made this thread to say I want to give him credit for not pulling out each week due to injury. I never thought he would.

To me, he is looking to be a good #3
Good talent, good speed, has dropped some passes.  For that matter, so has ARob.  The only bummer is that he seems to be taking some targets away from Hurns who other than 2 really noticeable plays has been kind of quiet this year.

I like how into the game he seems. He looks really excited to contribute. And we've clearly tried to call plays to get him involved.

His best asset in terms of diversifying our attack is his ability to take the top off a defense and I'd like to see him make a team pay soon so that defenses have to adjust to account for that. Until that happens he's not bringing his full potential contribution to the O in the sense of giving D coordinators headaches.

But again, I really dig his enthusiasm and attitude considering how his career has started, I'm sure it's been a frustrating couple years for him.

I also agree that I'd like to see more designed targets for Hurns. He's just such an intelligent football player in his awareness and execution. But I totally understand the desire to establish ARob. I guess we kinda expected to have this (good) issue of a wealth of weapons. Big uglies just gotta make time for the distribution to happen. And Bortles has to clean up 3-5 throws a game in terms of accuracy.

EDIT: After rewatching the game, props to Yeldon in the passing game, big time conversions and consistency. And a nod to Sterling as well.
I don't understand why coaches are taking plays away from Hurns.

Marqise's bar is really so low that simply staying healthy for 4 straight games is worthy of a topic praising him? Yikes.

Quote:I don't understand why coaches are taking plays away from Hurns.

It's more about getting Lee involved than taking away from Hurns. Once you get the defense to start focusing on Lee more it opens up the field for the A team.
No one is "taking plays from Hurns."

Except Bortles when he's keyed on one receiver the whole play.

(To be completely fair - Lee did have a high number of targets in one game that suggested he was indeed a focus for Olson, but Hurns has been open plenty and Blake hasn't thrown his way.)

LOL. I'm mystified as to why people have to invent something bad out of a good situation like Lee finally contributing on offense.

Lee has actually had two easy TD opportunities where Blake threw an un-catchable pass.

There isn't a downside to Lee being healthy and producing, people. Sheeesh.
Quote:No one is "taking plays from Hurns."

(To be completely fair - Lee did have a high number of targets in one game that suggested he was indeed a focus for Olson, but Hurns has been open plenty and Blake hasn't thrown his way.)

LOL. I'm mystified as to why people have to invent something bad out of a good situation like Lee finally contributing on offense.

Lee has actually had two easy TD opportunities where Blake threw an un-catchable pass.

Well see, my problem with that is that I can't be having people having a good time. People should feel bad. And good =/= bad. Bad = bad. So you need to feel bad and not feel good.
I was feeling REALLY REALLY good on Sunday...Monday morning, not so much.

Quote:There isn't a downside to Lee being healthy and producing, people. Sheeesh.

No one has Marqise on their fantasy team(s)... Confusedweat:
Quote:I always wondered why Hurns was not drafted. During his rookie season I read he should have been a third round pick.

Marqise Lee was projected as a first rounder and dropped out of it because of injuries. At the time he was a steal. He has been a big disappointment.

It does seem silly, looking back at it now... My understanding at the time was that Hurns was a guy who was "good at everything" but not "Great at anything"... Turns out, being "good at everything" makes you a pretty Great player... especially when everyone's proven wrong and you happen to be a GREAT Route Runner.

Basically.. 31 Teams missed on him, and we got him for cheap.

Quote:I don't understand why coaches are taking plays away from Hurns.

He doesn't really take many snaps from Hurns.  Usually he comes in as the 3rd WR, but Hurns moves inside.

That, and WRs take snaps/series off during the game.  Can only sprint down the field so many times before you need a break.
Quote:No one is "taking plays from Hurns."

Lee has actually had two easy TD opportunities where Blake threw an uncatchable pass.

For two years Allen Hurns was the #2 WR on this team. Marqise Lee had spotty appearances between injuries. Now we are seeing a lot of 11 and little of 88. This is on Greg Olson, not Blake Bortles. Olson takes Hurns out and puts Lee in. There is nothing wrong with getting Lee more involved, but Hurns clearly is a better pass catcher and being underused.
Speaking of Hurns coming out of games what happened when he was forced to miss a play in the second half?

Quote:For two years Allen Hurns was the #2 WR on this team. Marqise Lee had spotty appearances between injuries. Now we are seeing a lot of 11 and little of 88. This is on Greg Olson, not Blake Bortles. Olson takes Hurns out and puts Lee in. There is nothing wrong with getting Lee more involved, but Hurns clearly is a better pass catcher and being underused.
Wrong.

Most of the time that Lee is on the field, Hurns is too.

The number of snaps with Lee playing and not Hurns is very low. (about 16 plays in 4 games)

Plus - Hurns has literally been on the field MORE than Lee.

243 snaps to Lee's whopping 171.

That's not Olson stealing anything from Allen Hurns.

Pages: 1 2