Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: First Quarter Jag Awards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With a quarter of the season behind us and the bye week before us, I thought it would be a good idea to reflect on the superlative and not so superlative performers on the Jaguars' season thus far:

Offensive MVP:  Allen Robinson.  I think the first four games have shown that as Robinson has gone, so has the offense.  Against Green Bay he was productive and had many big plays, and the Jaguars battled until the last seconds.  Penaties NOT called in muggings of Robinson were the difference in the game.  Robinson was a non factor against San Diego, ad the Jaguars were out of it.  He was a little more productive against the Ravens, and the Jaguars were competitive until the last seconds.  He scored a TD and had several catches against the Colts, and we won.

Defensive MVP-A very tough call here.  You can make the case for any number of people.  Poz has played well.  Ramsey has taken the secondary to another level overall.  But I think I will give the nod to Ngakoue.  3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and an INT?  Hard to argue against that in a four game stretch from a rookie.

Special Teams MVP-Let me say how refreshing it is for special teams to not have been a complete liability thus far.  Myers has looked like a legitimate kicker thus far this year.  There are still times when I cringe when he is on the field, but that was based upon last year.  This year he has been consistent.  I hope he keeps it up.  Nortman has been great, and kept us in the Green bay game with his punts downed inside the 5.  Greene gave us a great punt return that should have heled us beat the Ravens, and even Denard Robinson contributed with the recovered muff of a Ravens punt that should have also contributed to a win.  I'll give the edge to Nortman for now, but overall special teams have performed well.

Offensive newcomer of the quarter-Not much to choose from, but I'll give it to Beachum.  

Defensive Newcomer of the quarter-So many to choose from.  I will give it to Ngakoue.

Best rookie-Ngakoue.

Comeback player-Linder

Biggest Disappointment offense-Tie between Blake Bortles and Chris Ivory.  After last season and with a year in the same system, the expectations for Bortles were pretty high coming into this year.  Thus far, the defenses have taken away the deep stuff, and he has not been patient and has pressed, though the Indy game he showed signs of finally adjusting.  But he can rebound.  Ivory has been hurt, and Im not sure Olson has figured out how to utilize him effectively.

Biggest Disappointment-Defense:  Tie between Davon House and Myles Jack.  House played well last year, but has fallen off dramatically this year.  WTH happened?  Jack is not to blame for his spot here.  The coaches are by not getting him on the field sooner. 

Biggest disappointment on offense is Ivory and it's not even close.
House has been very disappointing.  

I really expected better. The mistakes we all saw last year I thought he'd clean up, but it's more of the same. He just gives receivers way too much cushion.

He did get a pretty lame PI call yesterday that I didn't feel he deserved, but I now wonder if we'll see Ramsey and Amukamara outside with Colvin in the slot after the bye. 

I agree on the list of superlatives Bullseye, but I think Nortman and Benn get some credit for all those downed punts inside the 20 also. 
Quote:Biggest disappointment on offense is Ivory and it's not even close.

Agreed, the run game in general has highly disappointed.
<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Defensive MVP  ...Poz.  35 combined tackles and 1.5 sacks.  

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Offensive MVP  ...Allen Robinson. 21 catches and 3 TDs. He has been BB5's go to guy. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Special Teams MVP ...Brad Nortman.  The guy has made me forget about Anger completely.  

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Offensive Best Addition ...Kelvin Beachum.  

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Defensive Best Addition ...Malik Jackson is playing well and collapsing the pocket inside.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Best rookie ...Ngakoue has outperformed expectations more than others thus far.  Close second with Ramsey, who appears to be a real shutdown corner.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Comeback player ...Brandon Linder has come back and learned a new position.  A close second is Joeckel, who could have completely turtled, but his versatility and pride has been appreciated. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Biggest Offensive Disappointment ...Julius Thomas. I had much higher productivity and impact expectations for him. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Biggest Defensive Disappointment ...It is a tie for me between House and Cyprien.  Both look the part, but have been liabilities. 

Offense: overall pretty anemic, but my vote would go to Allen Hurns. He had been open nearly every play. He has also made good use of passes that were thrown his way with an average of over 15 yards per reception.

Defensive: this can't be anyone other than Poz. He is quickly pointing out age don't mean a thing to him. He has been the most consistent and a tackling machine. 1.5 sacks as well? Come on. You could also mention Telvin and Malik.

Special Teams: Nortman his straight beast mode in punts. Field position can be such a big advantage. Robinson and Greene should be mentioned as well.

Offensive Newcomer: Not what is considered a newcomer. If I had to give this out it would be Omameh. He has been asked to cover LT and LG in a pinch and played excellent! The dude was bustin huge holes in the run game versus the colts.

Defensive Newcomer: Give it to Ramsey. While he has made some mistakes, he is what they thought he was. Teams will start to avoid throwing his way. He will only get better and is a huge boost to the secondary.

Rookie: Ngakoue. No explanation needed. Doing what he was brought in to do and living up to the hype.

Comeback: Big Sen! With the new toys on D, he isn't getting the attention he should. He is absorbing double teams and penetrating when ask to do so. He and Malik have causing issues with who the offense wants to double. Complement each other.

Biggest Offensive dissapointment: Chris Ivory. Dude is straight garbage and runs like he doesn't understand the playbook. I don't believe he has hit the right hole yet. I was hoping what he did with the Jets would migrate over to the Jags.

Biggest Defensive dissapointment: Got to go with House. Not sure what the deal is here. No confidence, plays soft, and looks slow. I'll give Gipson an honorable here. I don't think he has lived up to the hype and he may be hesitant to go for big plays because of what is in front of him. Either way, not much of an impact as of yet.
I dont think Ivory is healthy. He was running different in the preseason than he is now.
Wow, is that really Ngakoue's stat line? I hadn't realized.......that is awesome.

(Modesty doesn't allow me to remind the board of the thread I started in the preseason entitled: "Could Yannick be the jewel of this draft class?") :teehee:

Is ST disappointment not a category because special teams don't count, or because it's a foregone conclusion? Tongue
Quote:I dont think Ivory is healthy. He was running different in the preseason than he is now.

We thought the same thing with Toby Gerhart. I say give Ivory some time. Our run blocking has been terrible up until yesterday.
Quote:Is ST disappointment not a category because special teams don't count, or because it's a foregone conclusion? Tongue
If it eas a category Jags02 would delete it any way
<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Defensive MVP  Poz - He has been great leading the defense

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Offensive MVP  Allen Robinson - Still making the big plays and should have more if he didnt get mugged a lot

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Special Teams MVP Brad Nortman - booming punter

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Offensive Best Addition Kelvin Beachum - Havent missed a beat when he plays

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Defensive Best Addition Ngakoue - Making big plays for a rookie

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Best rookie Ramsey - Shutting down top WRs helping the pass rush

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Comeback player Brandon Linder and Fowler - Linder is great and Fowler has come back strong making plays

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Biggest Offensive Disappointment Ivory - Not healthy just yet 

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Biggest Defensive Disappointment House - Has been getting beat deep too much

Quote:Biggest disappointment on offense is Ivory and it's not even close.

That does not make any sense. Ivory can only go where the offensive line lets him and did not play the first two weeks.

The biggest disappointment on offense might be A.J. Cann, who looked promising last year.
Quote:I dont think Ivory is healthy. He was running different in the preseason than he is now.

I'm not sure he's 100 percent either. But I also don't understand what it is with this coaching staff and running power backs outside.
Quote:Is ST disappointment not a category because special teams don't count, or because it's a foregone conclusion? Tongue

Given what I said about ST, I'm unsure there are any disappointments there.
Quote:House has been very disappointing.  

I really expected better. The mistakes we all saw last year I thought he'd clean up, but it's more of the same. He just gives receivers way too much cushion.

He did get a pretty lame PI call yesterday that I didn't feel he deserved, but I now wonder if we'll see Ramsey and Amukamara outside with Colvin in the slot after the bye. 

I agree on the list of superlatives Bullseye, but I think Nortman and Benn get some credit for all those downed punts inside the 20 also.

I started to mention the gunners that downed those punts but I couldn't remember who they were. I was thinking Peyton Thompson.
Quote:Wow, is that really Ngakoue's stat line? I hadn't realized.......that is awesome.

(Modesty doesn't allow me to remind the board of the thread I started in the preseason entitled: "Could Yannick be the jewel of this draft class?") :teehee:

Well played sir.
Quote:I'm not sure he's 100 percent either. But I also don't understand what it is with this coaching staff and running power backs outside.

The power runners could not have any holes to run through inside until yesterday.

Offensive MVP: Arob is heart and soul of the offense. 

Defensive MVP: Poz: This guy is having a career type year this year so far. He is about to be #1 in career jags tackles, as he is 65 behind Daryl Smith. He is arguably the best linebacker the jags have had here over the course of a Jags career. Not speaking in terms of one year, because Kevin Hardy was a freak back in 1999. Through only 72 games as a Jag he has accumulated amazing stats: 472 tackles, 11.5 sacks, and 11 int. To put things in perspective his closest competition is Daryl Smith who has played 126 games with 537 tackles, 21.5 sacks, and 6 int. Great to see Poz having a career year this year! 

Special Teams MVP: Myers. No question about it. I do want to say though, Nort has played outstanding and should be a pro bowler. 

Offensive Surprise: Changing up this award to a surprise player that has exceeded expectations: I gotta go with Marqise Lee. He bounced back big after having a very poor week 1. He would have had his coming out game against the Ravens if Blake could have hit him on some throws. 

Defensive Surprise: For me, it is Ramsey. I knew he was good, but jesus this good? He is a rookie! He is shutting down opponents and making them throw away from him already.

Rookie: Ngakoue. The stats support his case, but Ramsey's play is real close to overcoming the stats of Ngakoue. 

Comeback: I go with Beachum on this one. He came back so quickly from an ACL tear, and has far exceeded how I thought he would be playing at this point. I thought it would take him about 6 games to get going, but he got off on the right foot and is gaining strength. I love that he has fire too, you can see him always talking to D line men all game. Joke would just be laughed at if he ever talked to an opponent. Even if he just said hi. 

Offensive Dud: Ivory. I am throughly confused at this point with him. Either he has to be hurt or requires 20+ carries a game to get himself into the game. You hear of running backs like this who just dont thrive in a split carries role. I also never see any emotion out this guy. It is clearly his demeanor, but I haven't even seen him smile. He just likes sad 24/7 like he is in depression or something. Ivory has to get going, and if he resembles anything from himself of the past this offensive would be deadly. If asked this last week, I would have went with Parnell but he played a decent comeback game against Colts. 

Defensive Dud: House. Needs to be the #5 CB on the depth chart at this point. Blogged all off season how he was ready to prove he is a top 5 corner in the game. Forget about the blogging Davon, prove it out on the field and then become a top 5 CB then blog all you want about how you became a top 5 CB.

Special Teams Dud: Grant. Just runs straight and has no jukes. Gimme a juke one time Grant! 

Player to watch for rest of season: Yeldon. I loved the way he played last game. He is a threat out the back field and Blake loves to throw his way. A lot of people compared him to Leveon Bell coming out, and I think Yeldon realizes this is his opportunity to seize control of the running back depth chart with Ivory playing like crap. 

Most improved player: Jason Myers

Pages: 1 2