Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: First team observations for preseason game @ Miami
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
-Josh Allen looks like the real-deal-holyfield.  The guy is jacked.  His speed and instincts you just can't coach.  Thanks for the top 6 teams in the 2019 draft for passing on this beast.

-Foles looks the part.  Yes he threw and int but truth be told it was a great play by the defender.  Quick release, accurate ball, along with quick decisions makes this the anti Bortles.  6/10(2 drops) 48yds 1td 1int was a decent showing.  The one critique is he is forcing balls into windows that are little too tight.  One throw almost got Westbrook killed by the DB.  The int also was forcing it into a tight window.   I hope this is just preseason rust.  This defense just needs a chance with a QB who does not turn the ball over.

-Fournette looks thinner and has a burst now.  He looked much quicker.  Despite the weight loss he still has the power due to him running at least 2 players over tonight.

-Westbook  looks like a player who could break out.  An accurate QB will no doubt help all of these receivers.  Fast, good hands, great route runner, athletic, tough, he is everything you want in a receiver. 

-Taylor was mauling people out there.   I think he has solidified the job at starting RT.  I noticed him moving people.

-Ramsey Island is back.  They were leaving Ramsey 1 on 1 multiple times and his island remained deserted.  I really hope this kid matures and learns some nobility.  He has Hall of Fame talent.

-Taven Bryan stinks: To be honest he shouldn't even make the roster.  I would take smoot over him all day.

-Pass rush could return to 2017 form.  This team was at it's best when it could rush the QB with only 4 rushers.  Allen, Campbell, and Yannick could all have big years.

-Team is going to use the passing game to run the ball:  Foles was throwing a lot of Quick throws to the Rb behind the Line of Scrimmage.  It's pretty much a long hand off and I for one like the wrinkle there.   On the Foles Td the reciever was wide open due to the running game threat.
Agreed - Smoot is actually a good run blocker, just lacks in the pass rush. Bryan not only gets pushed around all day, but causes boneheaded penalties, and that was an issue last year as well. He’s turned into a liability every play he’s out there.

Minshew - makes some good throws, seems to read the field well with time. It is getting concerning with no pints from him through 3 games though. It doesn’t help every big gain play seems to be negated by a penalty.

Late WR’s - At this point I’m done with Cole. Every spectacular catch he makes there’s 5 bad plays/drops from him. Seems like a last ditch effort on the team to stick him at PR and he looked bad. I’ll take Pryor on this roster over him as long as Pryor’s hamstring checks out. Pryor at least gives you that lengthy WR and has experience compared to the other WRs here.
Outside of maybe one or two plays I don't think De Filippo showed any hands.

Even like route combinations , he was essentially using day 1 install plays for the vast majority.

Come week 1 I'm pretty confident the offense will look way more dynamic , even if Foles doesn't play well.
(08-22-2019, 11:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Outside of maybe one or two plays I don't think De Filippo showed any hands.

Even like route combinations , he was essentially using day 1 install plays for the vast majority.

Come week 1 I'm pretty confident the offense will look way more dynamic , even if Foles doesn't play well.

Other teams aren't showing their hands either, so that doesn't excuse our Offense/Defense (besides the Defensive 1's) looking like complete cheeks for 3 weeks now.
(08-22-2019, 11:35 PM)Jags239 Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed - Smoot is actually a good run blocker, just lacks in the pass rush. Bryan not only gets pushed around all day, but causes boneheaded penalties, and that was an issue last year as well. He’s turned into a liability every play he’s out there.

Minshew - makes some good throws, seems to read the field well with time. It is getting concerning with no pints from him through 3 games though. It doesn’t help every big gain play seems to be negated by a penalty.

Late WR’s - At this point I’m done with Cole. Every spectacular catch he makes there’s 5 bad plays/drops from him. Seems like a last ditch effort on the team to stick him at PR and he looked bad. I’ll take Pryor on this roster over him as long as Pryor’s hamstring checks out. Pryor at least gives you that lengthy WR and has experience compared to the other WRs here.

Pryor is excellent when he's fully healthy, and when he's not,  he's still solid.  He had a solid game today, 3/4 26 yards.   And that's with a hurt hamstring.
Those tight window throws won him a ring. Receivers need to make plays. That pick wasn't on him, should have come back to the ball.
(08-22-2019, 11:14 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]-Josh Allen looks like the real-deal-holyfield.  The guy is jacked.  His speed and instincts you just can't coach.  Thanks for the top 6 teams in the 2019 draft for passing on this beast.

-Foles looks the part.  Yes he threw and int but truth be told it was a great play by the defender.  Quick release, accurate ball, along with quick decisions makes this the anti Bortles.  6/10(2 drops) 48yds 1td 1int was a decent showing.  The one critique is he is forcing balls into windows that are little too tight.  One throw almost got Westbrook killed by the DB.  The int also was forcing it into a tight window.   I hope this is just preseason rust.  This defense just needs a chance with a QB who does not turn the ball over.

-Fournette looks thinner and has a burst now.  He looked much quicker.  Despite the weight loss he still has the power due to him running at least 2 players over tonight.

-Westbook  looks like a player who could break out.  An accurate QB will no doubt help all of these receivers.  Fast, good hands, great route runner, athletic, tough, he is everything you want in a receiver. 

-Taylor was mauling people out there.   I think he has solidified the job at starting RT.  I noticed him moving people.

-Ramsey Island is back.  They were leaving Ramsey 1 on 1 multiple times and his island remained deserted.  I really hope this kid matures and learns some nobility.  He has Hall of Fame talent.

-Taven Bryan stinks: To be honest he shouldn't even make the roster.  I would take smoot over him all day.

-Pass rush could return to 2017 form.  This team was at it's best when it could rush the QB with only 4 rushers.  Allen, Campbell, and Yannick could all have big years.

-Team is going to use the passing game to run the ball:  Foles was throwing a lot of Quick throws to the Rb behind the Line of Scrimmage.  It's pretty much a long hand off and I for one like the wrinkle there.   On the Foles Td the reciever was wide open due to the running game threat.

On the Foles INT the LT was beaten instantly. You can tell he likes Westbrook as a security blanket. I wish we had a TE for that reason. Fournette as expected was effective in the passing game. Jawaan Taylor was a pleasant surprise. Would like to see Marqise back.

Anyone that has watched as much NFL as I have over the last quarter century knows Josh Allen has "it". To the likes of Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Justin Houston, Demarcus Ware, players like that.. The natural instincts and the bend on the pocket isn't something you can coach just anyone to do. On top of that he is physical and has the length to effect the pocket at a distance. He can be the next Khalil Mack. I also like our 3-4 package he allowed us to show off on one play. Between he and Yan they should get plenty of 1-on-1's. QB's beware.

Taven Bryan is just a guy in the pile. With how Smoot looked you could just plug him in at DT and he'd do the same thing for you. At this point we're just hoping Bryan can provide average depth along the DL. 

Offensively it was apparent when Cam Robinson wasn't in there. Wester was beaten like a drum and Foles almost suffered the consequences (he kind of did with the INT I guess), that being said if not for a missed long FG from Lambo the offense at least looked average which is ok for not having any live reps leading up to the game. 

All in all it was a good physical performance from the starters, and a GREAT performance from Josh Allen. We need to stay healthy, and we need to find a replacement for DJ Chark, perhaps permanently. I don't know what his purpose is on the team aside from gunner on special teams. 

I'm excited to see what this team can do, we need to try and find some sort of quality depth after cuts. Anywhere, because the second someone hobbles off with any injury it's like we're plugging in a high school player.

(08-23-2019, 05:50 AM)bignick Wrote: [ -> ]Those tight window throws won him a ring. Receivers need to make plays. That pick wasn't on him, should have come back to the ball.

Agreed it wasn't the best decision but a good coaching moment for the receivers to fight back for the football, if not to catch it then to prevent an INT.
Just like we couldn't really glean much from our backups getting destroyed by the Ravens starters, I don't think we should try to glean too much from our starters beating the Dolphins entire team of backup quality players. They have like 3 players that are NFL starter worthy, and Tunsil didn't play. Sucks we got the worst team in the NFL for our dress rehearsal. Week 1 will be enlightening, hopefully it confirms some of the bright spots from this game.
It seemed like the better Allen played, the worse Bryan played... as if he was getting frustrated by seeing what a first round pick d-lineman should look like
I think we need to chill out a bit on Taven, yea he won't live up to his draft slot but he can still be productive; we knew when he was drafted he was RAW, it's the start of his 2nd year what'd we expect an all-pro nod already? It also didn't help that we tried to make him a DE all of last year. Now i'm no apologist but we're expecting too much.

Prior to the boneheaded penalty, he was getting good push and gave the Guard he was matched with absolute fits. Now I think he should be on the bench and rotate in at 3-technique but it's way too soon to just write off a guy with physical gifts like he has. We were saying similar things about Smoot the last 2 years before tonight and he was similarly raw (more polished than Taven though) coming out of Illinois... how quick we forget. Obviously if we compare Taven to Josh Allen we're going to be dissapointed because Josh Allen is debatably a generational talent.
(08-23-2019, 09:57 AM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]I think we need to chill out a bit on Taven, yea he won't live up to his draft slot but he can still be productive; we knew when he was drafted he was RAW, it's the start of his 2nd year what'd we expect an all-pro nod already? It also didn't help that we tried to make him a DE all of last year. Now i'm no apologist but we're expecting too much.

Prior to the boneheaded penalty, he was getting good push and gave the Guard he was matched with absolute fits. Now I think he should be on the bench and rotate in at 3-technique but it's way too soon to just write off a guy with physical gifts like he has. We were saying similar things about Smoot the last 2 years before tonight and he was similarly raw (more polished than Taven though) coming out of Illinois... how quick we forget. Obviously if we compare Taven to Josh Allen we're going to be dissapointed because Josh Allen is debatably a generational talent.

I don't disagree with this. 

What I'm seeing is a guy that's good at getting some push on passing downs and possibly really good at getting penetration on run downs. The problem is, he has no nose for the football once he's in the backfield. 

Last season there was that one horrible play where he got to the ball in the backfield but ended up with his back turned to the play and missed a chance to contribute. Everyone jumped on him for it, and I explained it was one play from a raw rookie. Probably not indicative of his body of work. 

Well...  it seems "awareness" may indeed be an ongoing issue he'll need to correct. 
The physical ability is there. He needs to learn the game and learn how to predict tendencies through tape study.  He doesn't know what's coming at him when he looks at the formation before sticking his hand in the dirt. The better defenders have it narrowed down pres-nap. He's not there yet mentally.
I think Taven has the ability to be an average starter. He will never live up to being a 1st rounder. That’s okay. Most don’t. But I will say that I have been largely unimpressed by him, with last night being the only exception.