Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags carrying nearly $30 million in dead cap space entering this season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tied for 4th in the league.   Most of this was the Bortles debacle that most are still scratching our heads over.   The great news is that most if not all of it will be off the books nearing next season.   That combined with current $18  million current cap space along with the cap space increase should put us in great position to resign our core players and have some room to play with entering the 2020 season.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/08...=home-hero
Really seems to have stopped the front office from doing all the spending they wanted to do this season. I mean, how many quality vets are we cutting this weekend to get under the cap? We can only hope the league gives us some relief next off-season like they do for other critical franchises like Dallas, Denver, and Indy!
Also the 15 million from telvin we bet back next year too
(08-28-2019, 06:32 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Tied for 4th in the league.   Most of this was the Bortles debacle that most are still scratching our heads over.   The great news is that most if not all of it will be off the books nearing next season.   That combined with current $18  million current cap space along with the cap space increase should put us in great position to resign our core players and have some room to play with entering the 2020 season.

I'd expect Dareus and Campbell to be cut after the 2019 season as well. That would save an additional $32.5 million for the 2020 season. Depending on how Campbell does this season, he could be spared, but Dareus' cap number for 2020 is $22.5 million, $2.5 of which would be dead money.

(08-28-2019, 07:52 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]Also the 15 million from telvin we bet back next year too

I forgot about that one. We should easily be able to resign Ngakoue, Ramsey and Jack.
I doubt campbell goes anywhere he is just a great player and a mentor to the younger guys.
I'm not so sure Dareus will be that easy of a cut. I'm hoping for an extension with a lower cap number.
(08-29-2019, 01:04 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not so sure Dareus will be that easy of a cut. I'm hoping for an extension with a lower cap number.

Nah, just draft another hog molly in the first three rounds. It's a passing league.
(08-28-2019, 11:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2019, 06:32 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Tied for 4th in the league.   Most of this was the Bortles debacle that most are still scratching our heads over.   The great news is that most if not all of it will be off the books nearing next season.   That combined with current $18  million current cap space along with the cap space increase should put us in great position to resign our core players and have some room to play with entering the 2020 season.

I'd expect Dareus and Campbell to be cut after the 2019 season as well. That would save an additional $32.5 million for the 2020 season. Depending on how Campbell does this season, he could be spared, but Dareus' cap number for 2020 is $22.5 million, $2.5 of which would be dead money.

(08-28-2019, 07:52 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]Also the 15 million from telvin we bet back next year too

I forgot about that one. We should easily be able to resign Ngakoue, Ramsey and Jack.

I havent been worried.  I just hope we can resign Calias to a team friendly deal so he can retire.
(08-28-2019, 06:59 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Really seems to have stopped the front office from doing all the spending they wanted to do this season. I mean, how many quality vets are we cutting this weekend to get under the cap? We can only hope the league gives us some relief next off-season like they do for other critical franchises like Dallas, Denver, and Indy!

I don't see us cutting ANY veterans "to get under the cap". To the best of my knowledge, we are not OVER the cap. Some vets might get culled because of their cap hit or the preference to retain the younger guys, but not a single cut will be to get under the cap.

Frankly, I haven't seen much out of the bench to warrant cutting many of the vets, either. I also don't know that they wanted to do much more spending this offseason, other than big nick. If they did, why would they volunteer to take the full brunt of Bortles' hit this year, rather than split among the two by making him a June 1 cut? We've spent like crazy the past few seasons, now's the time to see if that spending was worthwhile. If not, a lot of those acquisitions will be changing teams next season.
(08-29-2019, 09:05 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2019, 06:59 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Really seems to have stopped the front office from doing all the spending they wanted to do this season. I mean, how many quality vets are we cutting this weekend to get under the cap? We can only hope the league gives us some relief next off-season like they do for other critical franchises like Dallas, Denver, and Indy!

I don't see us cutting ANY veterans "to get under the cap". To the best of my knowledge, we are not OVER the cap. Some vets might get culled because of their cap hit or the preference to retain the younger guys, but not a single cut will be to get under the cap.

Frankly, I haven't seen much out of the bench to warrant cutting many of the vets, either. I also don't know that they wanted to do much more spending this offseason, other than big nick. If they did, why would they volunteer to take the full brunt of Bortles' hit this year, rather than split among the two by making him a June 1 cut? We've spent like crazy the past few seasons, now's the time to see if that spending was worthwhile. If not, a lot of those acquisitions will be changing teams next season.

We are currently about $20 million over the cap for 2020. Good news is that doesn't include the roll over from 2019 or roll backs from Bortles or Telvin. Bad news is it doesn't include Ngakoue's contract. If you want to sign Yannick to a long term deal someone is going to get cut. That someone is most likely going to be Dareus as he has a $22.5 million cap hit that's never going to happen. Campbell is a $17.5 million hit that also needs fixing but I think they'll do that by restructuring his contract.
(08-29-2019, 10:51 AM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2019, 09:05 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see us cutting ANY veterans "to get under the cap". To the best of my knowledge, we are not OVER the cap. Some vets might get culled because of their cap hit or the preference to retain the younger guys, but not a single cut will be to get under the cap.

We are currently about $20 million over the cap for 2020. Good news is that doesn't include the roll over from 2019 or roll backs from Bortles or Telvin. Bad news is it doesn't include Ngakoue's contract. If you want to sign Yannick to a long term deal someone is going to get cut. That someone is most likely going to be Dareus as he has a $22.5 million cap hit that's never going to happen. Campbell is a $17.5 million hit that also needs fixing but I think they'll do that by restructuring his contract.

I get that, but we're currently working under 2019's cap right? the comment I quoted referred to "how many vets are we cutting this weekend...."

2020 will see some dudes either re-structuring to make room, or getting walking papers for sure.
(08-29-2019, 11:53 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2019, 10:51 AM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]We are currently about $20 million over the cap for 2020. Good news is that doesn't include the roll over from 2019 or roll backs from Bortles or Telvin. Bad news is it doesn't include Ngakoue's contract. If you want to sign Yannick to a long term deal someone is going to get cut. That someone is most likely going to be Dareus as he has a $22.5 million cap hit that's never going to happen. Campbell is a $17.5 million hit that also needs fixing but I think they'll do that by restructuring his contract.

I get that, but we're currently working under 2019's cap right? the comment I quoted referred to "how many vets are we cutting this weekend...."

2020 will see some dudes either re-structuring to make room, or getting walking papers for sure.

So basically this whole thread is irrelevant until 2019 is over. Whew! I was worried there for a second...
Yeah not an issue they set up contracts so they will easily come off the cap if cut and some will restructure to stay I'd bet Calais would
Campbell already said he would restructure if they needed to.
(08-28-2019, 11:54 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt campbell goes anywhere he is just a great player and a mentor to the younger guys.

Maybe so, but he’ll be next to useless on the field In a couple of years
(08-29-2019, 06:55 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-29-2019, 01:04 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not so sure Dareus will be that easy of a cut. I'm hoping for an extension with a lower cap number.

Nah, just draft another hog molly in the first three rounds. It's a passing league.

If only it was that easy.
(08-28-2019, 11:54 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt campbell goes anywhere he is just a great player and a mentor to the younger guys.

Get Campbell off my team. He's just eating cap space to pay our talented guys we drafted. Get him out and be done with it or risk losing some of them and have him be dead weight later on.
Campell had the most sacks on the team last two years how is he taking a spot on the roster? Smoot, or Bryan going to replace him.

Get real.

He has gotten better once he joined us.
(09-01-2019, 03:10 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]Campell had the most sacks on the team last two years how is he taking a spot on the roster?   Smoot, or Bryan going to replace him.

Get real.

He has gotten better once he joined us.

Exactly.  Unless he falls off a cliff this year, I woudl expect the team to find a way to keep him around.  They LOVE him in the locker room as a leader, and the guy is still playing at a very high level.  I love how message board GMs just decide they're cutting players without really putting much thought into it.  Let's see what he does this year.
FBT I don't see him taking a step back for a couple years. He has also states he would restructure to afford to give our younger guys there contracts.

Marcel has said he wouldn't so I see this has his final year.
Pages: 1 2