Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Thoughts in the Storm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While I am off of work waiting out this storm I have a few thoughts

1.  While my homeristic instincts likely overrode my better judgment in picking the Jaguars to win this week against the Chiefs, as I think about Sunday's opponent, I am impressed as hell with their offense. This is a daunting challenge for the defense.  Based on the way the Chiefs played last year and the talent they added, they are looking like one of the three best offenses in the last 20 years, along with the Greatest show on Turf Rams and the 2007 18-1 Patriots.

I'm thinking if I had to rank the three offenses, it would be Rams 1 Chiefs 2 and Pats 3.  Of course, you can make the argument the Chiefs don't deserve to be ranked with those other two teams yet because those other two offenses at least reached the Super Bowl.  But this Chiefs offense is every bit as explosive as those other two offenses.  In terms of being a pure physical talent, Mahomes is better than either Warner or Brady, though Brady and Warner rate as better QBs overall because they have both been to multiple Super Bowls.  But time is on Mahomes's side, as his career is just beginning, and has an outstanding coach to guide him.  I think that Chiefs offense is better at RB than that 2007 Patriots' team, and better at TE than that Rams team.  At WR, they have the best 1-5 explosiveness of the three, while they may not have the singular WR talent that Randy Moss represented.  I haven't totally decided where the Chiefs' offensive line fits of the three, but I'm thinking they are 3rd of the three.  But if they are healthy, I can't see why the Chiefs won't be in the Super Bowl within the next few years.

2.  As the season approaches, I can't help shake the idea that the application of the new rules of replay to not only make Pass Interference reviewable, but to use replay to create a penalty where one is not originally called has all kinds of potential for chaos.  While in theory, it has the potential to work against offenses, I think the net effect if the rule is to further entrench a pro offensive bias, punishing those teams with good defenses.  More cynically and conspiracy minded, this rule is the script to get the league office the results they want.  Not so much the right call, but the right teams reaping the benefits.  I hope I am wrong.

3.  It will be interesting to see how the Jaguars employ Josh Allen.  If they rush him primarily from the defensive left side, it will put him opposite Chiefs RT Mitchell Schwartz.  That would be quite the challenge for Allen in his first regular season action.  I wonder if they would utilize him as an OLB from that side, on Calais Campbell's outside shoulder in the hopes of having a TE or RB trying to block him, or if they think his power would make him a better matchup against Fisher.

4.  The media talking heads can amuse and mystify at the same time.  The latest instance of this is the trend of them continuing to pick the Colts to win the division even though Andrew Luck has retired.  I don't get it.  For years, we've heard about how having a superior QB outweighs having a more balanced overall team.  In order for them to pick the Colts now the national media talking heads have to conclude one or more of the following: 
  • Jacoby Brissett is a superior QB in his own right, every bit the equal of Luck as a passer, ostensibly making the the superior of every other QB in the division.
  • Brissett is NOT a superior QB to every other QB in the division, which means suddenly having a more balanced team means something.
  • that the Colts are a better overall team from 2 to 53 than all of the other teams in the division.
Keep in mind, even WITH Luck , the Colts had to rally from a 1-5 start to make the playoffs (not win the division).  Keep in mind, even WITH Luck, the Colts were shut out for 6 straight quarters by the Jaguars last year.  I agree the Colts are a better overall team than they were in 2017, the last time they had to play without Luck, and are better than they were when Manning was injured and sat out the 2011 season.  But I think the media who continue to ride this Colts train underestimate the rest of the AFC South.
This morning I watched as Florio and Simms both picked the Jags to win the South and lose the AFCCG. I dont know how I feel about this.
(09-04-2019, 12:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]This morning I watched as Florio and Simms both picked the Jags to win the South and lose the AFCCG. I dont know how I feel about this.

I didn't say all media talking heads.

But I am seeing quite a few talking heads (Peter King, NFLN people) still on the Colts bandwagon.

Besides, my problem with the Colts prediction has nothing to do with them not picking the Jaguars to win.

I've seen some talking heads picking the Texans to win the division.  I understand that prediction perfectly, and it makes way more sense than picking the Colts.  Though I haven't seen anyone pick the tacks to win the division, to me, a tacks pick is more viable than a Colts pick to a large extent.
I also Pro Football Talk this morning and saw the predictions from Simms and Florio. Both have been on the Jaguars' bandwagon this pre-season so their predictions didn't surprise me. I can't remember a season when the media "experts" have been so divided about the Jaguars. This makes sense, however, when you consider the following:

1. The past 2 seasons have had remarkably different outcomes. Which Jaguars' team will we see this season?

2. Nick Foles is obviously a major upgrade from BB5, but will he be more consistent than he has shown in the past and stay injury-free?

3. Leonard Fournette remains the key to the offense despite the addition of Foles. Despite some positive signs this pre-season, will he remain motivated the entire season and show more maturity than we have seen so far?
If he does, and the offensive line remains healthy, he is capable of being a top 3 running back this season. This would make things much easier for Foles to succeed.

We will all learn a lot about this team in 4 days. The Chiefs offense will present the defense with quite a challenge. I am expecting this to be one of the most entertaining home openers in team history with the Jaguars winning on a Josh Lambo field goal late in the 4th quarter. Unlike last year's home opener, when they handled the eventual Super Bowl winning Patriots, this Jags team will not disappoint us for the remainder of the season. They will make Florio and Simms look like geniuses compared to the majority of the national media.
We'll find out a lot on Sunday, out the gate with a heck of a challenge.

I can't wait!
A month or so ago I installed the new jump platform for Jaxon on top of the light towers at the stadium. As I was running my welding leads up the stadium stairs in the morning heat, I was wondering what it was going to be like on opening day. A quick check of Sunday’s weather is showing temps of 97 degrees. I’ll repeat that; 97 degrees. If it really is that hot this Sunday, the Chiefs are in for a serious rude awakening.
More cynically and conspiracy minded, this rule is the script to get the league office the results they want. Not so much the right call, but the right teams reaping the benefits. I hope I am wrong.

^ I 200% agree with you. Myles Jack wasn't down is another, and that game against the Browns in 2017 (Where they had ZERO penalties called against them, and overturned a few turnovers we had in their favor) come to mind, the powers that be in New York didn't want the stain of an 0-16 team and they didn't want the upstart small market winning the division and representing the NFL on a national stage; despite their best efforts to rig that game we pulled out the W. I'm so concerned you're right about the pass interference rule to be used as an equalizer.

Collin Cowherd in his division picks GUSHED about the Colts and how good their roster is for like 2 minutes of his segment, and dismissed the Jags by saying "I don't trust Nick Foles, I don't trust the organization, 6-10 there you go" ... I was floored. Our Roster > The Colts roster. I'm amazed at the polarity in how we'll do amongst pundits, there are those who think we're legit and return to 2017 form for 10 wins; and those who do no research and just say "lol jags will finish last in AFC South bc reasonz"
(09-04-2019, 01:39 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]I also Pro Football Talk this morning and saw the predictions from Simms and Florio. Both have been on the Jaguars' bandwagon this pre-season so their predictions didn't surprise me. I can't remember a season when the media "experts" have been so divided about the Jaguars. This makes sense, however, when you consider the following:

1. The past 2 seasons have had remarkably different outcomes. Which Jaguars' team will we see this season?

2. Nick Foles is obviously a major upgrade from BB5, but will he be more consistent than he has shown in the past and stay injury-free?

3. Leonard Fournette remains the key to the offense despite the addition of Foles. Despite some positive signs this pre-season, will he remain motivated the entire season and show more maturity than we have seen so far?
   If he does, and the offensive line remains healthy, he is capable of being a top 3 running back this season. This would make things much easier for Foles to succeed.

We will all learn a lot about this team in 4 days. The Chiefs offense will present the defense with quite a challenge. I am expecting this to be one of the most entertaining home openers in team history with the Jaguars winning on a Josh Lambo field goal late in the 4th quarter. Unlike last year's home opener, when they handled the eventual Super Bowl winning Patriots, this Jags team will not disappoint us for the remainder of the season. They will make Florio and Simms look like geniuses compared to the majority of the national media.

With Foles, to me it's not so much that he's better than Bortles but that he (hopefully) won't have those epic meltdowns and/or wildly inconsistent games that directly lost games. That should be good for 2 or 3 extra wins I'd guess.  And I agree about Fournette, in 2017 we led the league in rushing and that will be a key to getting back into the playoffs.
Foles already on the injury report...
(09-04-2019, 12:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]While I am off of work waiting out this storm I have a few thoughts

1.  While my homeristic instincts likely overrode my better judgment in picking the Jaguars to win this week against the Chiefs, as I think about Sunday's opponent, I am impressed as hell with their offense. This is a daunting challenge for the defense.  Based on the way the Chiefs played last year and the talent they added, they are looking like one of the three best offenses in the last 20 years, along with the Greatest show on Turf Rams and the 2007 18-1 Patriots.

I'm thinking if I had to rank the three offenses, it would be Rams 1 Chiefs 2 and Pats 3.  Of course, you can make the argument the Chiefs don't deserve to be ranked with those other two teams yet because those other two offenses at least reached the Super Bowl.  But this Chiefs offense is every bit as explosive as those other two offenses.  In terms of being a pure physical talent, Mahomes is better than either Warner or Brady, though Brady and Warner rate as better QBs overall because they have both been to multiple Super Bowls.  But time is on Mahomes's side, as his career is just beginning, and has an outstanding coach to guide him.  I think that Chiefs offense is better at RB than that 2007 Patriots' team, and better at TE than that Rams team.  At WR, they have the best 1-5 explosiveness of the three, while they may not have the singular WR talent that Randy Moss represented.  I haven't totally decided where the Chiefs' offensive line fits of the three, but I'm thinking they are 3rd of the three.  But if they are healthy, I can't see why the Chiefs won't be in the Super Bowl within the next few years.

2.  As the season approaches, I can't help shake the idea that the application of the new rules of replay to not only make Pass Interference reviewable, but to use replay to create a penalty where one is not originally called has all kinds of potential for chaos.  While in theory, it has the potential to work against offenses, I think the net effect if the rule is to further entrench a pro offensive bias, punishing those teams with good defenses.  More cynically and conspiracy minded, this rule is the script to get the league office the results they want.  Not so much the right call, but the right teams reaping the benefits.  I hope I am wrong.

3.  It will be interesting to see how the Jaguars employ Josh Allen.  If they rush him primarily from the defensive left side, it will put him opposite Chiefs RT Mitchell Schwartz.  That would be quite the challenge for Allen in his first regular season action.  I wonder if they would utilize him as an OLB from that side, on Calais Campbell's outside shoulder in the hopes of having a TE or RB trying to block him, or if they think his power would make him a better matchup against Fisher.

4.  The media talking heads can amuse and mystify at the same time.  The latest instance of this is the trend of them continuing to pick the Colts to win the division even though Andrew Luck has retired.  I don't get it.  For years, we've heard about how having a superior QB outweighs having a more balanced overall team.  In order for them to pick the Colts now the national media talking heads have to conclude one or more of the following: 
  • Jacoby Brissett is a superior QB in his own right, every bit the equal of Luck as a passer, ostensibly making the the superior of every other QB in the division.
  • Brissett is NOT a superior QB to every other QB in the division, which means suddenly having a more balanced team means something.
  • that the Colts are a better overall team from 2 to 53 than all of the other teams in the division.
Keep in mind, even WITH Luck , the Colts had to rally from a 1-5 start to make the playoffs (not win the division).  Keep in mind, even WITH Luck, the Colts were shut out for 6 straight quarters by the Jaguars last year.  I agree the Colts are a better overall team than they were in 2017, the last time they had to play without Luck, and are better than they were when Manning was injured and sat out the 2011 season.  But I think the media who continue to ride this Colts train underestimate the rest of the AFC South.

Gosh. You sure do think a lot, Mr. Bullseye.

[Image: tumblr_inline_n1ofnoVfNN1r6vjdq.jpg]

(09-04-2019, 04:00 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]Foles already on the injury report...

It's minor.
(09-04-2019, 02:19 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: [ -> ]A month or so ago I installed the new jump platform for Jaxon on top of the light towers at the stadium. As I was running my welding leads up the stadium stairs in the morning heat, I was wondering what it was going to be like on opening day. A quick check of Sunday’s weather is showing temps of 97 degrees. I’ll repeat that; 97 degrees. If it really is that hot this Sunday, the Chiefs are in for a serious rude awakening.

Geez!  So am I.  And so is everyone else at the stadium.
If it's that hot, will be the record.
Call me a pessimist, but until this team's offense demonstrates that they can not only effectively move the ball consistently, but ALSO consistently score, I am concerned that this team may wind up with an 8-8 record. Maybe 9-7 if they split the series with the Titans. I'd love to be wrong, but there's not much from the preseason that confirms anything solid.

That's more of me worrying that the Oline won't be able to protect Foles. or the receiving corps doesn't do their jobs consistently, etc. I don't think you can say the Colts are now the favorites to win, but they're not gonna be a lousy team either, I feel. Maybe mediocre but certainly not divisional winners in my mind. At this point I want to believe that Jacksonville should win it, but again, it's all gonna come down on the offense doing their jobs and keeping the defense from being on the field a lot longer than they should be.
(09-04-2019, 12:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]While I am off of work waiting out this storm I have a few thoughts

2.  As the season approaches, I can't help shake the idea that the application of the new rules of replay to not only make Pass Interference reviewable, but to use replay to create a penalty where one is not originally called has all kinds of potential for chaos. 

3.  It will be interesting to see how the Jaguars employ Josh Allen.

4.  The media talking heads can amuse and mystify at the same time.  The latest instance of this is the trend of them continuing to pick the Colts to win the division even though Andrew Luck has retired.

I too, am off work and have a couple minutes, so I'll take your main points one by one:

1.  The Chiefs are a great team, top to bottom, and are the class of the AFC.  They remind me a little more of those great Buffalo teams that kept losing the Super Bowl than the great Cowboys teams that kept winning them.  They can beat any team in the league, just will they?

2. We all know that the new PI rule is because of one play in the Saints/Rams playoff game, but man, they had to do something.  Right now, I believe it's a red flag/scoring review, not an automatic?  I think it's the best compromise.  What PI replay has shown to me is how often the zebras make the right call, and how incredibly talented the best DBs in the league are.

3. Yes.  And it will be interesting to see the attempts of Jags opponents to mark Allen out as a factor.  I can't wait.

4.  The colts have become a fairly well balanced team after sucking on defense for so long.  Of the 3 examples you provided, I think most plausible is that Brisset can manage the team's offense well enough to make it a ball control game against us and the Tacks, that the colts edge us on, and that the texans will be just inconsistent enough to have a poorer record than the colts.
My "Thoughts In The Storm" is that our defense must outshine the Chief's offense. We already know that Andy Reed has done his homework to which he'll game plan to attack an certain defensive area. I'm thinking that it'll be Williams. Surely we too have an attack plan to which our revamped offense will out perform their revamped defense. This game will surely reveal where we're at as a team.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(09-04-2019, 03:07 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2019, 01:39 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]I also Pro Football Talk this morning and saw the predictions from Simms and Florio. Both have been on the Jaguars' bandwagon this pre-season so their predictions didn't surprise me. I can't remember a season when the media "experts" have been so divided about the Jaguars. This makes sense, however, when you consider the following:

With Foles, to me it's not so much that he's better than Bortles but that he (hopefully) won't have those epic meltdowns and/or wildly inconsistent games that directly lost games. That should be good for 2 or 3 extra wins I'd guess.  And I agree about Fournette, in 2017 we led the league in rushing and that will be a key to getting back into the playoffs.
Good point about Bortles. The thing that "stood out" was whenever he started a game poorly he couldn't recover. If he started out well, the Jaguars had a good chance to win.
(09-04-2019, 02:21 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]More cynically and conspiracy minded, this rule is the script to get the league office the results they want.  Not so much the right call, but the right teams reaping the benefits.  I hope I am wrong.

^ I 200% agree with you. Myles Jack wasn't down is another, and that game against the Browns in 2017 (Where they had ZERO penalties called against them, and overturned a few turnovers we had in their favor) come to mind, the powers that be in New York didn't want the stain of an 0-16 team and they didn't want the upstart small market winning the division and representing the NFL on a national stage; despite their best efforts to rig that game we pulled out the W. I'm so concerned you're right about the pass interference rule to be used as an equalizer.

Collin Cowherd in his division picks GUSHED about the Colts and how good their roster is for like 2 minutes of his segment, and dismissed the Jags by saying "I don't trust Nick Foles, I don't trust the organization, 6-10 there you go" ... I was floored. Our Roster > The Colts roster. I'm amazed at the polarity in how we'll do amongst pundits, there are those who think we're legit and return to 2017 form for 10 wins; and those who do no research and just say "lol jags will finish last in AFC South bc reasonz"

The season opener against Green Bay back in 16 is what came to my mind.  After that game, the league announced there were SIXTEEN (16) calls that went against the Jaguars that shouldn't have gone against the Jaguars.  That disparity, as well as in that AFC Championship game against the Patriots, with something like a 10-1 penalty disparity in favor of the Patriots, is part of what motivated that point.  I had forgotten about that particular game against Cleveland.  I mean, I remembered the fumble that was blown dead that shouldn't have been, but forgot about the penalty disparity.

As for Cowherd, NEVER I mean NEVER listen to that guy expecting anything that resembles objective analysis of the Jaguars.  I hate him and Skip Bayless more than any other media hack, including Woody Paige.

(09-04-2019, 04:22 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]If it's that hot, will be the record.

Was was the temp last year vs. New England?  Wasn't that the record before?
(09-04-2019, 04:38 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]Call me a pessimist, but until this team's offense demonstrates that they can not only effectively move the ball consistently, but ALSO consistently score, I am concerned that this team may wind up with an 8-8 record. Maybe 9-7 if they split the series with the Titans. I'd love to be wrong, but there's not much from the preseason that confirms anything solid.

That's more of me worrying that the Oline won't be able to protect Foles. or the receiving corps doesn't do their jobs consistently, etc. I don't think you can say the Colts are now the favorites to win, but they're not gonna be a lousy team either, I feel. Maybe mediocre but certainly not divisional winners in my mind. At this point I want to believe that Jacksonville should win it, but again, it's all gonna come down on the offense doing their jobs and keeping the defense from being on the field a lot longer than they should be.

I think the offense is a big concern coming into the season, including the OL and WRs.

(09-04-2019, 04:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

Gosh. You sure do think a lot, Mr. Bullseye.

[Image: tumblr_inline_n1ofnoVfNN1r6vjdq.jpg]

Should I think less?

Shaddap!   Laughing
We'll all know more in a few days......Opening day at home, a high energy crowd and a revitalized team.
Last year, in their house... our D kept us in the game until BB5 imploded ....this year will be different.
I had to pick the Jaguars as well.