Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Attendance Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I’ll Hey just a question for the locals.  I’m from Iowa, so obviously I do most of my rooting from home in front of my tv.  I always notice that the stadium is never packed.  Even when we’ve a lot of hype, or are hosting a big opponent, the stadium is noticeably empty.  Just curious why this is?
(09-08-2019, 06:57 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]I’ll Hey just a question for the locals.  I’m from Iowa, so obviously I do most of my rooting from home in front of my tv.  I always notice that the stadium is never packed.  Even when we’ve a lot of hype, or are hosting a big opponent, the stadium is noticeably empty.  Just curious why this is?

Because it’s HOT. Even the locals don’t want to sit in the direct sun for hours.
Did you watch the game? Most people don't want to risk early skin cancer and dehydration to watch that.
Also, do you notice, at least 50% of attendees are wearing the opponent's apparel.
It felt like 105 degrees in the stadium today. People were seeking shade in the concourses and other covered areas of the stadium.
There were also certainly a number of season ticket holders who just stayed home due to the heat and did not sell their tickets. There were more people there than there appeared to be.

If the team is playing well and facing a notable opponent the place packs out. When those things aren't in place, you're going to have some under capacity crowds. Same can be said for several other small market teams in the NFL.
True. But on the flip side, it gets just as cold at Arrowhead or Lambeau and those stadiums are full. I’m not trying to antagonize, I was just curious if it’s fuller than it appears on tv. I feel like even later in the year when it cools down it’ll still be noticeably empty, regardless of record.
It was over 110 degrees in the stadium, it's too hot to go even if the team is amazing. 18 people were taken to the hospital and the paramedics responded to over 80 calls
(09-08-2019, 07:02 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, do you notice,  at least 50% of attendees are wearing the opponent's apparel.

It was around 25%. Chefs fans travel pretty well.
(09-08-2019, 07:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-08-2019, 07:02 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, do you notice,  at least 50% of attendees are wearing the opponent's apparel.

It was around 25%. Chefs fans travel pretty well.

They do, outstanding effort on their part.

And anyone who compares cold to heat is an idiot who likely hasn't experienced both.

No amount of sunscreen and water will protect you from ungodly heat.   It will still feel like 110 degrees.

Layers of clothing and coffee to whatever can make you feel reasonably comfortable.  

FACT

Done both, dozens of times each.  From Notre Dame to Soldier Field to Alltel etc..  You can add the baseball stadium here as well.

NO COMPARISON
During the game the camera showed a thermometer on the field which read 123 degrees. I don’t know how accurate it was, but it clearly indicated that the front door to hades was close by.
(09-08-2019, 07:03 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]True. But on the flip side, it gets just as cold at Arrowhead or Lambeau and those stadiums are full. I’m not trying to antagonize, I was just curious if it’s fuller than it appears on tv. I feel like even later in the year when it cools down it’ll still be noticeably empty, regardless of record.

Much easier to deal with cold than dangerously hot tempetures
I would never knock the home town fans. It has been years and years of trials and blistering sun. Even an 80 degree day sucks it right out of you in the stadium. The stadium yaws out and the sun just cooks you.
It's 120 degrees, and the team that went 5-11 last season is getting destroyed, so in that case, some people go under the stands seeking some relief from the heat. And a lot of people probably went home early because they were wiped out physically. It was really really HOT out there. Record heat.
(09-08-2019, 07:03 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]True.  But on the flip side, it gets just as cold at Arrowhead or Lambeau and those stadiums are full.  I’m not trying to antagonize, I was just curious if it’s fuller than it appears on tv.  I feel like even later in the year when it cools down it’ll still be noticeably empty, regardless of record.

Come on now, how long have you been a fan?  You sound like a troll.  This is nothing new.  We dont have a lot of fans.  Not enough to consistently fill the stadium.  Will take at least a decade of winning to build up the fanbase enough to consistently pack the house.

And cold weather games are easy.  You just wear more clothes and then buy a warm drink or sneak in some whiskey.  Sitting out in the heat is a significantly harder because there is no possible way to cool down.
I was there yesterday and it was HOT! I'm not apologizing for leaving early when the chiefs made the score 37-13. Enough was enough at that point and I wanted to start my two plus hour drive home. There were a lot of Red shirts in the crowd, but honestly, can you blame Jags fans for selling their tickets? I wish I had done so yesterday. The heat... $14 beer, $5 water, the same pathetic effort from the Jags defense (I sure wish they played as well as they talk) and the same results. Honestly, starting to wonder if it is time to let the season tickets go. Prices keep going up, and as hard as it is to believe, performance continues to go down.
Even on a good day the Bud Zone and other party places as well as the concourses are packed.
Especially the BZ.....people buy cheap tickets and hang out there for the view and atmosphere.
It was ridiculously hot in the stadium yesterday. I stayed the entire game, but don't blame anyone for sitting this one out or leaving early. Sweat removed the before game application of sunscreen, and made it impossible to reapply. Today, I am fried.
(09-08-2019, 07:03 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]True.  But on the flip side, it gets just as cold at Arrowhead or Lambeau and those stadiums are full.  I’m not trying to antagonize, I was just curious if it’s fuller than it appears on tv.  I feel like even later in the year when it cools down it’ll still be noticeably empty, regardless of record.

I would argue that sitting in yesterday’s heat is much harder on the body than sitting in the cold.  When it’s cold I can prepare and layer up and be relatively fine.  I’m in my mid thirties and in good shape and it was absolutely miserable out there.  Dangerously miserable.  By halftime most people were in self preservation mode and didn’t even care about what was happening on the field.

Not enough people talk about games like ours yesterday’s as “bad conditions” but IMO they should.  Sitting through yesterday is much harder than sitting through a snowy game and I’ve done both.
We need this -- Dolphins Stadium

[Image: miami_dolphins_stadium.png]
(09-08-2019, 07:21 PM)nate Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-08-2019, 07:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It was around 25%. Chefs fans travel pretty well.

They do, outstanding effort on their part.

And anyone who compares cold to heat is an idiot who likely hasn't experienced both.

No amount of sunscreen and water will protect you from ungodly heat.   It will still feel like 110 degrees.

Layers of clothing and coffee to whatever can make you feel reasonably comfortable.  

FACT

Done both, dozens of times each.  From Notre Dame to Soldier Field to Alltel etc..  You can add the baseball stadium here as well.

NO COMPARISON

Why do people consider that a good thing? 

The amount of wasted money on watching overpaid morons crash into each other astounds me.
Pages: 1 2