Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Looking Ahead-Questions to Ponder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am nauseated to begin this line of thinking in mid freaking September, but the current circumstances of this team leads to these thoughts.

Foles is out for at least eight weeks.  A rookie 6th round pick is now our QB.

The offensive line is still a huge question, with a sub par performance against Houston, which makes the questions surrounding Fournette even louder.

Now, the team's best player wants out, apparently having lost faith in the coaching staff and tiring of the losing.

With this in mind, here are some questions that have leapt to mind"

1.  Assume a best case scenario in terms of Ramsey trade consideration and we get the two first round picks for the CB.  We have signed Foles to a 4 year, $88 million contract, with some $55 million guaranteed.  In Foles' absence, Minshew has shown promise.  Do you use a first round pick on a QB?  Why or why not?
  2.  If Ramsey is somehow retained and Marrone is fired, do you hire an offensive coach or a defensive coach?  Who are your candidates at this stage?  What would be the primary consideration in the guy you would hire?
  3.   Wash has become a target of criticism for not only Ramsey but a multitude of Jaguars fans.  Again, assuming Ramsey is retained, which current or recently active defensive coordinator is the best match for the Jaguars' personnel and best reflects the philosophy you would like to see the Jaguars defense adopt?
  4. Assuming an adequate haul for Ramsey, what would be your emphasis in free agency and the draft?  Would you increase the offer to Ngakoue to keep him here, do you try to trade him too, do you franchise him, or let him walk?
  5. What if Telvin Smith returns?  What do you do?
  6. Which veterans would you jettison and why?
  7. Assuming all of the changes envisioned, how many wins would you envision next year?  I know it's WAY, WAY, WAY  too early, but if there is a complete overhaul of the coaching staff and FO, I would imagine a similar overhaul of the roster, which would mean more struggles.
1. Can't answer till the season plays out and we see what each can do with this offensive roster.

2. I like an offensive coach given the league wide climate for offense. No idea who at this stage.

3. Ramsey or not, I think we can do better than Wash. There are things I like about him, but there are enough things I don't to want to move on.

4. O-Line, CB, FS , NT, WR - the rest depend again on how this season plays out

5. Telvin is done, but I'd look to trade him if he's back.

6. Again depends on the season playing out. If Campbell continues looking a step slower than last year he's gone. Bouye too if he doesn't turn it around. Linder is a consideration. Dareus stays if he gets healthy and reworks his deal. Lee will be gone regardless.

7. If it plays out somewhere close to ideal they should compete for the division. Just a lot of "ifs" right now though.
This is all a big load of horse [BLEEP]. The team lost to a Super Bowl favorite and lost a 1 point nail biter on the road in the division with a 6th round rookie at QB. Someone needs to sit Ramsey down and tell him to shut the [BLEEP] up and play ball. If he doesn't want to then suspend him and take his paycheck, this [BLEEP] is bad for the league.
1. Yes, draft the QB if he checks all the boxes and Minshew isn't the 2nd coming which he likely isn't.
2. Offensive. No candidates. I'm tired of dull games, open it up.
3. Jim Schwartz but he isn't leaving Philadelphia.
4. Emphasis on OL and TE. On Ngakoue, I think we made him a fair offer but nobody really knows. I wouldn't increase it much and I would franchise him, listen to any offers, then let him walk. Do not cripple the team with super contracts.
5. Telvin- welcome him back with open arms and have him join the competition for his position. He excels or he's cut.
6. Tough question. Guys like Dareus need to be restructured but I wouldn't listen to the Poz-type crybabies. Better to cut a guy a year too early than a year too late. Bite the bullet on Campbell, too and show him the door if he's not cost-effective. This is a tough, cutthroat business not a rest home.
7. I can't imagine how many wins we'll have next year. Any guess is as good as any other.
(09-17-2019, 08:49 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]This is all a big load of horse [BLEEP]. The team lost to a Super Bowl favorite and lost a 1 point nail biter on the road in the division with a 6th round rookie at QB. Someone needs to sit Ramsey down and tell him to shut the [BLEEP] up and play ball. If he doesn't want to then suspend him and take his paycheck, this [BLEEP] is bad for the league.
Mad online.
(09-17-2019, 08:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I am nauseated to begin this line of thinking in mid freaking September, but the current circumstances of this team leads to these thoughts.

The offensive line is still a huge question, with a sub par performance against Houston, which makes the questions surrounding Fournette even louder.

Now, the team's best player wants out, apparently having lost faith in the coaching staff and tiring of the losing.

1.  Assume a best case scenario in terms of Ramsey trade consideration and we get the two first round picks for the CB.  We have signed Foles to a 4 year, $88 million contract, with some $55 million guaranteed.  In Foles' absence, Minshew has shown promise.  Do you use a first round pick on a QB?  Why or why not?
  2.  If Ramsey is somehow retained and Marrone is fired, do you hire an offensive coach or a defensive coach?  Who are your candidates at this stage?  What would be the primary consideration in the guy you would hire?
  3.   Wash has become a target of criticism for not only Ramsey but a multitude of Jaguars fans.  Again, assuming Ramsey is retained, which current or recently active defensive coordinator is the best match for the Jaguars' personnel and best reflects the philosophy you would like to see the Jaguars defense adopt?
  4. Assuming an adequate haul for Ramsey, what would be your emphasis in free agency and the draft?  Would you increase the offer to Ngakoue to keep him here, do you try to trade him too, do you franchise him, or let him walk?
  7. Assuming all of the changes envisioned, how many wins would you envision next year?  I know it's WAY, WAY, WAY  too early, but if there is a complete overhaul of the coaching staff and FO, I would imagine a similar overhaul of the roster, which would mean more struggles.

1. Yes. I do. This looks to be a very good QB class. You just don't pass up a chance to draft a potential franchise QB. The last two drafts where we spent a first rounder on a QB were poor QB classes. I wanna finally have a chance to get a real franchise QB. I know Foles signed a 4 year deal, but after this season there will only be 3 years left on the deal and I believe the last year would be pretty easy to get out of. He has done nothing to live down his "fragile" reputation as he got injured in the first game of the season, so I don't think he should be counted on to be our savior at QB. As for Minshew, he looks like a solid backup, but I just don't see a franchise QB. The best case scenario would be to draft a franchise QB, let him sit behind Foles and Minshew for the next two seasons and start him in 2021 when we can likely get out of Foles' contract. Minshew would still be the backup. 

2. I definitely hire an offensive minded head coach. The offense has lagged behind our defense for way too long and that must change. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like Kansas City OC Eric Bieniemy. I wouldn't be opposed to Dallas OC Kellen Moore though. 

3. I would hire Steve Belichick as the DC. He is the son of the greatest head coach ever. He is the current Secondary Coach of the Pats. He's been a coaching assistant for 4 years with the Pats and he's coached pro bowl DB's there. I would also consider Bears Safeties Coach Sean Desai. He has 10 years experience as an NFL coach and he knows how to build an elite defense as the Bears have one of the best. Like my choices for HC, these guys are young, innovative and inexperienced. I don't want any re-treads in my main coaching staff. 

4. As far as the offseason, I obviously find Ramsey's replacement if he is traded. I find a franchise QB (if we are in a position to land one.) I find a franchise TE and I look for depth on the O-Line, especially OT as well as Safety and Linebacker. That would be my focus whether Ramsey is traded or not. The only thing that would change, is whether we need to find his replacement. As far as Ngakoue, I wait and see. If he reaches double digit sacks and continues his progression, I up the offer and keep him. If not, I continue to negotiate and hope he takes the original offer. I don't trade him unless I absolutely have to and I certainly don't let him walk for nothing in return. 

5. If Telvin Smith returns, I try to trade him. He wasn't himself last season and he would be a year away from the game. If no one wants to trade for him, I release him. I'm confident we could get something for him though. 

6. I would consider moving Andrew Norwell. He is making a ton of money and he just isn't living up to that contract. I think we could find a better use for that money. I'd also consider moving Fournette for the right price as well. I try to accumulate as many picks as possible. I fix the O-Line before I focus on getting an every down runner. A good O-Line will make a solid NFL runner.I also re-structure Dareus to keep him. We see how bad the run defense is without him.

7. If these changes were made and assuming everyone stayed healthy and assuming we found a decent replacement for Ramsey, I could see us competing for a playoff spot.
It’s week 3.

What a mess.
(09-17-2019, 09:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]It’s week 3.

What a mess.

It's the Jaguars. It's never easy.
This season was over before it really started. It's almost comical. Next year we'll be looking to end it by the first preseason game.
(09-17-2019, 08:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

1.  I need more information.  It depends on Minshew's development this year.  Also, I like Foles as our starter for the next 3 years.  If I don't draft a qb in 2020, I'm definitely looking for someone to draft in 2021 as a matter of course.  But if there is an accurate gunslinger available, grab him!

2.  I think Marrone is gone regardless.  He's an average coach.  But I'm looking to hire someone from the staffs of Reid, McVay, or Shanahan.  Offense is the way we must go.

3.  I also think Wash is gone regardless.  I would look to see who is available and capable from Bellichick's staff or someone who's learned under Romeo Crennel.  Patriots always have a top 10 defense that bends but doesn't break.

4.  Sign Ngakoue, even if you overpay him a little.  Even with a clean sweep of the staff and FO, I think we should be looking at a retooling, not a rebuilding.  But O-line must be addressed high in the draft every year until we get it right.  A good O-line makes average backs good and protects the most important asset, the qb.  We need a top line TE.  And obviously the DBs have to be addressed.  It's the weakest link on the team without Ramsey back there. 

5.  Welcome him back and let him compete.  Maybe switch him to play as a box safety.  BUT, if he's of the Ramsey mindset, move him for whatever you can get for him.

6.  I'd like to see Campbell and Dareus restructured and kept if possible.  I see no reason to gut out best unit (D-line).   I like our young LBs.  Would still like to see a true MLB and move Jack outside.  Maybe Wilson at SAM.  (Not sure if his tool kit fits, but he's too good to keep off the field.)  Seriously look at moving Norwell and Bouye.  Get rid of Cann and Ogbuehi.  Cut the rest of the trash in the secondary.

Best case scenario, the retool takes 2 years.  But we can and should still be competitive during the retooling.  Heck, if the guys can pull it together mentally we should be competitive now!  Even accounting for a poor DC.

*Obviously, this all presupposes Ramsey is gone. I just don't think the genie will be put back in the bottle.
(09-17-2019, 08:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I am nauseated to begin this line of thinking in mid freaking September, but the current circumstances of this team leads to these thoughts.

1. I think two first round picks is a terrible outcome. I want a player back. We get two 1st rounders from the Chiefs, mind as well call them 2nd rounders to be fair. Two Taven Bryans for a generational Ramsey? No freaking way man. I want a player back that's an elite player. 

2. Offensive HC, but a DC who will play to our players strengths. Not hard to ask. As for candidates, haven't thought about it just yet. 

3. Same as 2. I thought Wash for once did a great job against Houston playing man to man. Maybe it's just been too much? Maybe on Monday Ramsey walked into the meeting room and saw a bunch of zone schemes being drawn up and thus came out later that day with his personal thoughts. Don't know, but we need a DC who is committed to playing to our players strengths not his own personal plan. 

4. No clue about FA and draft, way too far for that. Clearly we could use some help at RB and OL, both of which could easily be upgraded through the draft. 

5. Cut bait. We have Quincy, they both have to play WLB. Doubt he has any trade value, but try to get a pick in return? 

6. Well, with Ramsey here... veteran cuts clearly have to be made. Campbell is probably the big odd guy out. I know Norwell has a decent amount of guaranteed money left, but he is a consideration as well. If Ramsey isn't here, we probably have the space for Ngakoue and don't need big cuts. 

7. I envision 19-0. Greatest season ever put out by a team. Clean sweep of MVP, OPY, DPY, and COY.
1. Sign Yannick 
2. Sign Ramsey 
3. OL & DT in the Draft 

We can’t be known as the “Cheap” organization when it comes to resigning our own. 

I believe in Minshew we just gotta invest in an offensive line that can run block
Bench Calias and put in Smoot. The Mayor of Sackville is hiding under his desk. Smoot looks hungry.
(09-17-2019, 09:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-17-2019, 08:49 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]This is all a big load of horse [BLEEP]. The team lost to a Super Bowl favorite and lost a 1 point nail biter on the road in the division with a 6th round rookie at QB. Someone needs to sit Ramsey down and tell him to shut the [BLEEP] up and play ball. If he doesn't want to then suspend him and take his paycheck, this [BLEEP] is bad for the league.
Mad online.

Yeah, I actually am, this is absurd and we're going to see it on every team soon if the league doesn't act to put these guys in their place.
Meh, it will all shake out once we win the next couple of games. Minshew is building a fire that he kindled in the last quarter of the tinhorns game. Teams play harder for a QB they believe in. Winning solves all and we’re just adding to the unnecessary drama.

Now, if Minshew gets hurt...run for the hills.
Thanks for a thoughtful post but I don't know enough at this point. It is hard to trust the organization because it doesn't seem like there is strategy or planning. Everything is reactive and slapdash.  They have been chasing bad decisions.

I don't want to see some crazy cheap gut the roster overhaul again. The fanbase won't make it through that again.  We are looking like a long term 6 to 8 wins team. It is sad.
(09-18-2019, 06:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-17-2019, 09:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Mad online.

Yeah, I actually am, this is absurd and we're going to see it on every team soon if the league doesn't act to put these guys in their place.
Maddening. Gonna run us old fogies off.
A lot of it depends on where we're drafting. Eliminating the drama queen will diminish the overall talent on the defense but may result in additional draft picks and the defense probably actually playing better as a whole. Also people need to keep perspective. We're two games in and were in position to beat Houston at home with a backup QB. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

So:

No to a first round QB. Mostly for the reasons you state but also because the QB pool is deep enough next year to grab one in the later rounds if you really want one. For coaching candidates, I usually prefer an offensive minded coach who can get a strong coordinator on the other side of the ball. Defensively, the criticism on Wash is interesting because the strength of the Jags has been their defense even given the performance in the KC game. They also had a great game against Houston, giving up the TD only due to a short field. Regarding Ngakoue, the team has supposedly already made him a pretty good offer. To keep him here maybe you just increase the guarantees or the length of the contract. If necessary, franchise him since you wouldn't need the tag for Jalen anymore.
1. Too early. Cant make a decision on a QB without having seen either of these guys play much
2. The coaching decision should be make completely independent of which players are here. The idea we'd pick a coach based on Ramsey being here is preposterous. Inmates running the asylum is a recipe for disaster. I don't care what style the head coach is, but obviously the rules are designed to assist the passing game so we should hire a coach who wants to take advantage of that. Defensive minded head coaches can hire an offensive coordinator who wants to open it up.
3. Who cares what the players want. We should hire a defensive coach who is smart enough to take advantage of the talents of our players regardless of who the players are. How many of these defensive guys will be here 5 years from now? 3 of them? So much player turnover you need coaches who can adapt.
4. We should "overpay" for Yannick. He is everything you want in a player and unlike Jalen, is a true professional. We should use our picks from Ramsey like we would any other draft picks... find talent, fill holes, etc...
5. Trade him, we have enough Will linebackers
6. Too early. Whoever gets old or gets worse
7. Too early.
(09-18-2019, 06:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-17-2019, 09:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Mad online.

Do as you're told.
Pages: 1 2