Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Week in the AFC South-Week 5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Let's not mince words here.  The only value my "analysis" and picks serve is, maybe, to let people know who is playing, and to let people know who NOT to pick.  Any worse and the Dolphins will laugh at me.  Have we established a mercy rule for inept prognostication in this thread?

The only solace I take in the winless weeks is that I picked against the Jaguars both weeks and they won.  If I go winless every week in this thread means I am wrong when I am picking the Jaguars to lose, I will GLADLY take that EVERY week-or at least every week I pick the Jaguars to lose.  You know what I mean!

That said...on to this week's picks...

Jaguars (2-2) at Panthers (2-2)-Am I the only one who harbors lingering antipathy towards the Panthers?  For those of you too young to know the history, Carolina and Jacksonville were rivals in the 1993 expansion race.  The conventional wisdom was the NFL would expand to two cities-one established NFL city (Baltimore or St. Louis) and one new market (Charlotte, Jacksonville, Memphis, among others).  Carolina got the first franchise, but the awarding of the 30th team-which was to be named at the same time-was delayed for 30 days-presumably to allow Baltimore or St. Louis improve their packages.  However, at the end of the process, justice and righteousness prevailed and Jacksonville was awarded the 30th NFL franchise.  That sequence seemed to be a harbinger of things to come.  Carolina had the #1 overall pick in 1995 and got all of the love from the national media for two years.  Then they made it to the Super Bowl before we did-TWICE.  I DO take some solace in the fact they have yet to win the Super Bowl, so we can still beat them to that with any luck.  As it stands now, it seems the teams are mirror images of the other.  Young, inexperienced QBs who came from nowhere to replace injured starters, good running games, and good young defenses.  Perhaps this is the homer in me, but I am going with the offensive rookie of the month in Gardner Minshew.  Jaguars 20  Carolina 17.

Falcons (1-3) at Texans (2-2)-I have no idea what is wrong with the Falcons.  My thought is they are more talented than this, but if you apply Bill Parcells' logic to this situation, they are a 1-3 team period.  I have some idea what is wrong with Houston-they haven't managed to cobble together decent protection for Watson despite the trade for Tunsil.  Also, Hopkins seems to be in something of a slump.  But at this stage, I trust Hopkins to get out of his slump against the Falcons.  Texans win 27-20.

Bills (3-1) at Titans (2-2)-Titans LT Taylor Lewan returns from a four game suspension for PED violations just in time to face a Bills defense that may be the best in the league.  However, 2nd year QB Josh Allen isn't very good, and he is in the concussion protocol.  To be honest, I would thoroughly enjoy either team losing.  I Think the Tacks offer more on offense than Buffahole, and will win a low scoring game 17-13.

Colts (2-2) at Chiefs (4-0)-Even dealing with a lot of injuries, the Chiefs still managed to put up over 30 points in the win in Detroit.  The Colts are missing one, (Hooker) and possibly two players from their secondary (Ya-Sin) and possibly two from their D-Line.  In Arrowhead?  A tough spot for Indy.  Chiefs win 34-16.

Last week:  0-4
Overall:  3-10
week 4    2-2
overall     6-7

Jags make it 3 wins after taming the other cats - Win in another close game - Nope
Who's arrow will point up? Have to pick the 'horns at home by two scores - Yep
Tacks at home will get trampled by the herd....mary can't keep them on the field. close game though - Yep
clots going to Arrowhead.....ack, Nice to know you guys....they lose by 3 scores -Nope
2-2 again
8-9 overall
Last week: 1-3
Overall: 6-7

This week I'll go with
Jags
Tinhorns
Tacks
Chiefs
7-6 overall.  

this week i will take the 

titans

Texans

Jags

you heard it here firs upset of the week.    colts over chiefs and yes in kanas city too.
Jags over Panthers

Tenn over Bills

Houston over Falcons

KC over Colts

Last week 2-2
Overall 9-4
5-8

Jags
‘Horns
bills
chefs
0-0

Jags

Falcons

Thumbtacks

Chiefs
1-3 last week
7-6 overall

Jaguars over Panthers
Texans over Falcons
Bills over Titans
Chiefs over Colts
(10-03-2019, 07:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Let's not mince words here.  The only value my "analysis" and picks serve is, maybe, to let people know who is playing, and to let people know who NOT to pick.  Any worse and the Dolphins will laugh at me.  Have we established a mercy rule for inept prognostication in this thread?

The only solace I take in the winless weeks is that I picked against the Jaguars both weeks and they won.  If I go winless every week in this thread means I am wrong when I am picking the Jaguars to lose, I will GLADLY take that EVERY week-or at least every week I pick the Jaguars to lose.  You know what I mean!

Jaguars (2-2) at Panthers (2-2)-Am I the only one who harbors lingering antipathy towards the Panthers?  For those of you too young to know the history, Carolina and Jacksonville were rivals in the 1993 expansion race.  The conventional wisdom was the NFL would expand to two cities-one established NFL city (Baltimore or St. Louis) and one new market (Charlotte, Jacksonville, Memphis, among others).  Carolina got the first franchise, but the awarding of the 30th team-which was to be named at the same time-was delayed for 30 days-presumably to allow Baltimore or St. Louis improve their packages.  However, at the end of the process, justice and righteousness prevailed and Jacksonville was awarded the 30th NFL franchise.  That sequence seemed to be a harbinger of things to come.  Carolina had the #1 overall pick in 1995 and got all of the love from the national media for two years.  Then they made it to the Super Bowl before we did-TWICE.  I DO take some solace in the fact they have yet to win the Super Bowl, so we can still beat them to that with any luck.  As it stands now, it seems the teams are mirror images of the other.  Young, inexperienced QBs who came from nowhere to replace injured starters, good running games, and good young defenses.  Perhaps this is the homer in me, but I am going with the offensive rookie of the month in Gardner Minshew.  Jaguars 20  Carolina 17.

Falcons (1-3) at Texans (2-2)-I have no idea what is wrong with the Falcons.  My thought is they are more talented than this, but if you apply Bill Parcells' logic to this situation, they are a 1-3 team period.  I have some idea what is wrong with Houston-they haven't managed to cobble together decent protection for Watson despite the trade for Tunsil.  Also, Hopkins seems to be in something of a slump.  But at this stage, I trust Hopkins to get out of his slump against the Falcons.  Texans win 27-20.

Bills (3-1) at Titans (2-2)-Titans LT Taylor Lewan returns from a four game suspension for PED violations just in time to face a Bills defense that may be the best in the league.  However, 2nd year QB Josh Allen isn't very good, and he is in the concussion protocol.  To be honest, I would thoroughly enjoy either team losing.  I Think the Tacks offer more on offense than Buffahole, and will win a low scoring game 17-13.

Colts (2-2) at Chiefs (4-0)-Even dealing with a lot of injuries, the Chiefs still managed to put up over 30 points in the win in Detroit.  The Colts are missing one, (Hooker) and possibly two players from their secondary (Ya-Sin) and possibly two from their D-Line.  In Arrowhead?  A tough spot for Indy.  Chiefs win 34-16.

I always enjoy your game pick threads. You do a great job with them. Not picking this year but i still visit every week. .
The jax/car history was interesting. I remember those days, carolina was the nfl's baby there at first. I pulled for you guys more even though carolina is just over the hill. Always been an AFC guy
Last week was one of the most unlikely weeks the NFL has had for years from the perspective of bad teams winning, accordingly I only got one of four picks right. Oh well.

This week I'll take the Minshew magic to continue, Jaguars 20-13.

The texans should be able to take the falcons.

The titans seem to really get up for games against tough teams with bad QBs so I'll take them over the bills.

The colts are going to get rolled in KC, could be something like 45-20.

1-3 last week, dropping me to 7-6 in total.
7-6 going into the week. As Johnny Cash once sang, "I'm a fair-to-middlin' man".

Jags win on the road: The team showed that it can win the close games, and they'll need to keep this close to secure the win. This is the least confident of my picks this week, but the team just seems to be rallying around their new identity. They are loose, and resilient. 23-21 in a nail-biter.
Houston. There is something broken in Atlanta. Their line is talented, but young, and the tinhorns' rush should be able to get home. 30-20
Buffalo has enough to get the win on the road, defensive showdown, 10-6.
KC. The cream rises to the top, I don't see this team slowing down any time soon. Indy hangs for a while, but runs out of steam 35-27
6-7

Jags
Falcons
Bills
Cheifs
Missed last week as I was out of town touring colleges with my daughter.

5-4 overall

Jaguars over Panthers
Texans over Falcons
Titans over Bills
Chiefs over Colts
7-6 overall

Jags
Texans
Bills
Chiefs
Jags
The ATL
Bills
Chiefs
8-5 coming in

Panthers
Texans
Bills
Chiefs
5-8

Jags
Texans
Bills
Chiefs.
I think all four teams win. I think indy upset kc at home.
(10-03-2019, 07:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Let's not mince words here.  The only value my "analysis" and picks serve is, maybe, to let people know who is playing, and to let people know who NOT to pick.  Any worse and the Dolphins will laugh at me.  Have we established a mercy rule for inept prognostication in this thread?

Panther - sry jags I dont believe this week.
Atl
Bills
Chiefs
My overall is something like 5-6
4-9

Jags
Falcons
Bills
Chiefs
Pages: 1 2 3