Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Any Idea What Happened to Keelan Cole?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This has been bothering me for a while. Keelan had a very good rookie season, especially for not only a rookie wide receiver but one from such small college. Then comes his 2nd season, and he plays well the first 4 weeks if I'm remembering correctly... then he fell off the face of the earth. 

In my 30 years of watching  football I don't ever think I saw such a promising player fall off a cliff like he did. One week he looked like a legit 1st option, then the next week we play the Chiefs and the guy hasn't been the same since.

I know no one here can truly answer the question... and that makes the thread a little pointless.  But it's so strange to me, and I never hear the local media really talk about what might of happened to the guy.
Thought it was cause he kept dropping passes?
It's a mystery for sure, but it seemed to be a hands issue primarily last year. He was getting open fairly often. Just dropped so many catches. Several of the drops ended drives and therefore he began to lose snaps to other players.

He's looking pretty good this year in limited opportunity. I think the changes in OC and QB will help him if he ever gets any significant snap numbers. Gonna be hard to get on the field much when Chark, Westbrook and Conley are all looking so good and
Flip is clearly scheming Lee's blocking into the run game.
His biggest riff was that he developed cinder block hands after his breakout season and got subsequently demoted.
Chark>>>>>>>Conley>>>>>>>>>>everyone else
(10-06-2019, 11:41 PM)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]This has been bothering me for a while. Keelan had a very good rookie season, especially for not only a rookie wide receiver but one from such small college. Then comes his 2nd season, and he plays well the first 4 weeks if I'm remembering correctly... then he fell off the face of the earth. 

In my 30 years of watching  football I don't ever think I saw such a promising player fall off a cliff like he did. One week he looked like a legit 1st option, then the next week we play the Chiefs and the guy hasn't been the same since.

I know no one here can truly answer the question... and that makes the thread a little pointless.  But it's so strange to me, and I never hear the local media really talk about what might of happened to the guy.

I've got more than a decade on you, but similarly, I can't recall such a fall from promise absent injury or drug use.

Seems to me, he showed promise in his rookie training camp, started catching on mid season and had huge impact down the stretch, struggled the next year, and either the team lost confidence in him or he lost it in himself, and this year, perhaps the coaches regained some confidence in him by keeping him on the roster, but the two QBs developed confidence in the other WRs, notably Chark.

I still think he can be productive, given opportunities, but he may not get many more chances here.
Numbers game. The Jaguars haven't been a team that regularly utilizes five receivers on the field, and he just so happens to be the fifth receiver. I don't know if he's still got the dropsies, if he's catching the ball cleanly but coaches don't really trust him, or if he really is just the fifth-best receiver on this team.
Chark and Westbrook got better faster.
[Image: Screen_Shot_2019_01_10_at_1.52.22_PM.0.png]He ran away from the Chark... Big Grin
(10-06-2019, 11:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It's a mystery for sure, but it seemed to be a hands issue primarily last year. He was getting open fairly often. Just dropped so many catches. Several of the drops ended drives and therefore he began to lose snaps to other players.

He's looking pretty good this year in limited opportunity. I think the changes in OC and QB will help him if he ever gets any significant snap numbers. Gonna be hard to get on the field much when Chark, Westbrook and Conley are all looking so good and
Flip is clearly scheming Lee's blocking into the run game.

That's the answer.  He's dropped to fifth string.  If an injury happens, he'll play more.