Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Yannick dropping in coverage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went back and watched the game and saw Yannick covering Greg Olsen and few times. Olsen finished the game with 0 catches for 0 yards, so I guess he did his job in coverage but why not match the TE up with our LB or have a Safety cover.

Those draws were taking our guys right out of the play and then they followed that up with a trap. 

Yannick finished the game with 2 sacks, but him covering a TE is stupid.
Todd Wash
Nothing new.

Better OCs like Turner exploit mismatches with smart formations. We've been seeing this for years. Olsen has lost a step, so this particular version of it isn't that big of a deal.
So he had 2 sacks and allowed 0 catches and you're mad?
(10-07-2019, 02:16 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]So he had 2 sacks and allowed 0 catches and you're mad?

His logic is that had he been there they would have seen less gaps being destroyed by CMC. The only way to know that for sure is to go back on each and every play that Yannick dropped into coverage on and whether or not they ran it on that particular play. I don't mind Yannick being used that way. It worked on Olsen. 

Surprised they haven't used Josh Allen more in that role this year too. He was just as good in pass coverage coming out of Kentucky. Ultimately the two fumbles that led to 14 points for Carolina on offense and the lack of gap control on defense allowed this game to get out of hand relatively quickly. Poor discipline in that game yesterday. 

They didn't have anybody in position to keep a look out for the back door and CMC and his back up made them pay for it essentially every damn time a chasm presented itself. I don't know if that's all on Jack, Williams, Wilson and Harrison. Or if it's just a combination of all four of them failing to get it done as a unit. But they got taken to [BLEEP] school yesterday. 

Kamara is just as equally scary and tough to bring down too. Whatever they thought they had planned for CMC didn't work. They better hope this weeks defensive installment works. Need to figure out a way to contain the edges and force Kamara to bounce back inside into the arms of Dareus (if he doesn't get suspended) and Jones, Bryan, etc.
I mean if you're in man coverage and a TE lined up next to the tackle goes out on a route instead of blocking - sometimes the DE has to drop with him. It's not some crazy uncommon occurrence. At least Yan knew his assignment and didn't let him run free thinking a backer or DB was going to be there.

I'm assuming this is what happened. Will try to confirm when I re-watch.
(10-07-2019, 02:22 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2019, 02:16 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]So he had 2 sacks and allowed 0 catches and you're mad?

His logic is that had he been there they would have seen less gaps being destroyed by CMC. The only way to know that for sure is to go back on each and every play that Yannick dropped into coverage on and whether or not they ran it on that particular play. I don't mind Yannick being used that way. It worked on Olsen. 

Surprised they haven't used Josh Allen more in that role this year too. He was just as good in pass coverage coming out of Kentucky. Ultimately the two fumbles that led to 14 points for Carolina on offense and the lack of gap control on defense allowed this game to get out of hand relatively quickly. Poor discipline in that game yesterday. 

They didn't have anybody in position to keep a look out for the back door and CMC and his back up made them pay for it essentially every damn time a chasm presented itself. I don't know if that's all on Jack, Williams, Wilson and Harrison. Or if it's just a combination of all four of them failing to get it done as a unit. But they got taken to [BLEEP] school yesterday. 

Kamara is just as equally scary and tough to bring down too. Whatever they thought they had planned for CMC didn't work. They better hope this weeks defensive installment works. Need to figure out a way to contain the edges and force Kamara to bounce back inside into the arms of Dareus (if he doesn't get suspended) and Jones, Bryan, etc.

If you take away the two big runs, the run defense had a respectable day, allowing about 120 yards rushing.  

Runs for 10 yards don't happen unless the linebackers have been taken out of the play.  20 yard + runs don't happen unless the safeties have been taken out of position as well.

You could make a case that the Jags win that last game if the safeties just stay home on the two big runs.

and it's a lot easier to make this case than to try to blame it on how the scheme used yannick.
Yannick had several plays early where he collapsed too much and allowed the play to go wide and get past him.

It was a problem with the entire defense overrunning plays.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Yan was not dropping back on the 2 long runs, but on the plays where he did drop back, we got gashed.

@NYC If on certain plays the TE goes out in a route, then Yannick needs to rush the passer in my opinion, and let the TE run free so another defender can pick him up.

@Senior, not mad, just didn’t see why we need to gamble on stopping a TE with a DE, and it just throws the whole defense off.

Yan didn’t get exposed so I’m happy for him individually, but it hurt our defense as a whole.
Was Yans best game this year.