Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Offense didn’t get it done
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought the defense played well today. Bridgewater is hardly a back up. Bouye held Thomas as much as one could, but we have to make splash plays like in 2017.

Our offense really sputtered today. Minchew couldn’t find the magic, but the good news is it was a NFC team.

The Texans beat KC, but we’re still not out of it. Sitting at 2-4 with Cincy and Jets coming up should get us back to .500
They were out coached and out of sync against a better football team. New Orleans is a superior team. Payton is a better coach by far.

If the offense sputters against the Bengals, Jets & tinhorns in the next three weeks? Then panic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Jags O-Line was out-matched and the receivers were out-matched by the saints secondary.

Minshew looking very rookie-ish didn't help matters.

I actually think they could have focused around Fournette more in the second half and found some success.
(10-13-2019, 04:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags O-Line was out-matched and the receivers were out-matched by the saints secondary.

I actually think they could have focused around Fournette more in the second half and found some success.

I think it was combination not a lot of help by the rest of the offense (particularly the tackles), and new coverage disguises by the Saints he probably has not seen before.
I also feel like the offense was held too close to the best today. The quick stuff wasn’t there.

Taylor got hit for holding and negated a nice run by Fournette.

Terrible play call on 4th and 2 which I felt lost the game for us. I mean, 27 can get you 2 yards. Just came out flat
(10-13-2019, 04:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags O-Line was out-matched and the receivers were out-matched by the saints secondary.

I wouldn't even say Minshew looked as bad as the rest of the team, he just couldn't overcome it all. Trent Green commented on his int as being Chark's fault, as an example. Fournette got tackled one on one in the open field by a DB to come up short of a first down, etc.

The team as it is right now just doesn't have the horses to take on the saints, even with Bridgewater at QB.

The 2017 defense might have gotten us a win today anyway, but the 2019 Jaguars still need to do some roster turning over to get rid of some dead weight and get better at a few positions.
(10-13-2019, 04:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I also feel like the offense was held too close to the best today. The quick stuff wasn’t there.

Terrible play call on 4th and 2 which I felt lost the game for us. I mean, 27 can get you 2 yards. Just came out flat

They've converted a couple of third downs with that play this season. I don't think it's a bad call, it was just well defended.  The defender looked like he'd seen tape on it and stuck his guy. 

I personally would have run that sweep with 27 they've been running lately. He's starting to get better at finding a crease as he nears the sideline on that play.
(10-13-2019, 04:10 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the defense played well today. Bridgewater is hardly a back up. Bouye held Thomas as much as one could, but we have to make splash plays like in 2017.

Our offense really sputtered today. Minchew couldn’t find the magic, but the good news is it was a NFC team.

The Texans beat KC, but we’re still not out of it. Sitting at 2-4 with Cincy and Jets coming up should get us back to .500

I get your point. I said in the week this is probably the best all round team we will play all season.

But this wasn't the Saints playing their A game. Backup QB, RB with an injured ankle. Bridgewater missed a lot of open throws today and it was more Bridgewater missing his man than us making a stop. 

Now the Saints D is very good, but when we have a team like the Saints, at home, not playing great, you have to find a way to take advantage. They have a strong backfield so tight coverage and a D line that gets pressure but it's the NFL, you arent going to get busted D's every play. Your going to have to beat them.

This is where I want to see the team fight through adversity, I want to see them try and change the momentum of a game. I think back to the game at home against Houston in 2017. We just came out and smashed them in the mouth for 30 minutes and we were up 40 something at the half. Take control of a game.

I'm not putting this on Minshew or the O, just as a team, we dont take advantage of the parts of games that we could do.
(10-13-2019, 04:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2019, 04:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I also feel like the offense was held too close to the best today. The quick stuff wasn’t there.

They've converted a couple of third downs with that play this season. I don't think it's a bad call, it was just well defended.  The defender looked like he'd seen tape on it and stuck his guy. 

I personally would have run that sweep with 27 they've been running lately. He's starting to get better at finding a crease as he nears the sideline on that play.

The key to your message is an answer within. They have converted with that play and they probably went to the well one more time too many.

In a 4th down situation, I have to give it to my 250 pound RB and let him run a guy over and push the pile for a first down.

On that play, the Saints sat in a zone about 5 yards off the ball. They played the quick slant the whole way, which is why Minchew pumped and then heaved it. 

I would have ran the sweep with 27 also.