Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Courage to Make Tough Decisions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The season starts next Sunday. While 2-4 is unacceptable with the talent level we have, we still control our own destiny for the division championship. Bye's and or home field advantage in the playoffs have statistically never proven to much of an advantage, so the key here now is to focus on winning the division which unfortunately is not going to happen unless Mr. Khan and Tom Coughlin make some incredibly courageous mid season decisions.

First off, it is time for a head coaching change. Marrone is simply not equipped to be an NFL head coach and must be let go. It's clear at this point that Ramsey is not going to play for us, so my thoughts are that we trade him for a standing head coach. My first thought is that we trade Jalen Ramsey for current Redskins interim head coach Bill Callahan. I think having a coach who knows what it takes to get to a Super Bowl is a must. Callahan would instantly change the culture in the locker room and has the expertise to motivate, challenge, game plan etc. in such a way that would get us over the hump in these single possession games that we keep losing. 

If Callahan were to decline the trade, then my next idea would be to go hard after Maryland Coach Mike Locksley.  I understand that we cannot trade an NFL player for a college head coach, so this would free us up to trade Ramsey for a player that might be able to help us. While Locksley has maybe not been quite as successful as a college head coach as he would have probably hoped, I think it's a fair statement that Coach Locksley's personality and high level of expertise is far more suited for the pro game than the college game.  While a sitting college head coach leaving for an NFL head job hasn't happened in recent memory, this would clearly be a win-win for both sides. 

I just don't think you can go wrong with Callahan or Locksley. Time is of the essence here and I don't really want Marrone putting in the game plan for this weekend, so one of the two needs to happen quick. With the right leadership, their really isn't a game on the schedule that we can't win moving forward. 

I also think the Jags need to look hard at Alex Brooks, who we all know serves as the Manager of Public Relations. It is clear to me that the "Minshew Mania" campaign has divided the team. One players should not get all of the credit and I think many of the current Jaguars are resentful that one player is getting all of the credit for the successes the team has had. Perhaps if Brooks in his role had related to the public more of the team successes than individual successes, we would be 4-2 instead of 2-4. 

The team is plenty talented enough. I counted maybe 4-5 Saints who would start for us so the issue here is not the players.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 27bd67ff789391f3b20953ee701bf576.jpg]
I totally agree.  We need a mid-season coaching change to kick the team into gear.  Trading Ramsey for a proven coach is absolutely the right decision.
I kind of agree that Marrone just doesn't have us ready for teams like NO. I saw something that reported the Jags coaches were saying how well coached the saints were after that game etc etc etc. Just goes to show you what they basically meant was "we were totally out coached"
This is just silly. Why wouldn't you go for Josh Scobee who is currently unemployed and has years of NFL experience? Do you even football?
[Image: 3290f09aa469be58e512f45a4a215960.gif]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(10-14-2019, 06:03 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]The season starts next Sunday. While 2-4 is unacceptable with the talent level we have, we still control our own destiny for the division championship. Bye's and or home field advantage in the playoffs have statistically never proven to much of an advantage, so the key here now is to focus on winning the division which unfortunately is not going to happen unless Mr. Khan and Tom Coughlin make some incredibly courageous mid season decisions.

First off, it is time for a head coaching change. Marrone is simply not equipped to be an NFL head coach and must be let go. It's clear at this point that Ramsey is not going to play for us, so my thoughts are that we trade him for a standing head coach. My first thought is that we trade Jalen Ramsey for current Redskins interim head coach Bill Callahan. I think having a coach who knows what it takes to get to a Super Bowl is a must. Callahan would instantly change the culture in the locker room and has the expertise to motivate, challenge, game plan etc. in such a way that would get us over the hump in these single possession games that we keep losing. 

If Callahan were to decline the trade, then my next idea would be to go hard after Maryland Coach Mike Locksley.  I understand that we cannot trade an NFL player for a college head coach, so this would free us up to trade Ramsey for a player that might be able to help us. While Locksley has maybe not been quite as successful as a college head coach as he would have probably hoped, I think it's a fair statement that Coach Locksley's personality and high level of expertise is far more suited for the pro game than the college game.  While a sitting college head coach leaving for an NFL head job hasn't happened in recent memory, this would clearly be a win-win for both sides. 

I just don't think you can go wrong with Callahan or Locksley. Time is of the essence here and I don't really want Marrone putting in the game plan for this weekend, so one of the two needs to happen quick. With the right leadership, their really isn't a game on the schedule that we can't win moving forward. 

I also think the Jags need to look hard at Alex Brooks, who we all know serves as the Manager of Public Relations. It is clear to me that the "Minshew Mania" campaign has divided the team. One players should not get all of the credit and I think many of the current Jaguars are resentful that one player is getting all of the credit for the successes the team has had. Perhaps if Brooks in his role had related to the public more of the team successes than individual successes, we would be 4-2 instead of 2-4. 

The team is plenty talented enough. I counted maybe 4-5 Saints who would start for us so the issue here is not the players.

Hey, barkeep! Whatever he's having, I'll take eight!
Ramsey for Belichick and Brady. Get it done Khan.
I think we need to go with the WSU connection and bring in Mike Leech or Lincoln Riley who is currently banished to that deity forsaken backwater Norman, Oklahoma. It makes the most sense for our all-universe QB prospect to get the best help we can find.
You guys are missing the obvious head coach replacement.
If we want a prolific offense, then why not bring in the all time leading scorer in Jags history, Josh Scobee, to lead it.
I find it hard to argue against a coach who is perfect on the season, and doing so with guys he may not have wanted on the team. Being traded to another franchise would put him in that very same situation, so of course we should expect a perfect season for the remainder of the year. 12-4 should be good enough to win the division, but if home field advantage is not seen to be an advantage, maybe we let a few teams get a win along the way.

The best way to mend fences is to let those who are fighting walk a mile in the other's shoes. For just one game, let Ramsey be the coach, and Marrone play DB. During the week, TC gets to practice and study film while #20 sits in the front office and curmudgeons away at the state of the league today, and how football used to be played on an uphill field and it always seemed to be snowing. Once all that happens, I'm sure Ramsey will have no problem paying TC or Doug like the shutdown corner they are.
(10-15-2019, 11:43 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]I find it hard to argue against a coach who is perfect on the season, and doing so with guys he may not have wanted on the team. Being traded to another franchise would put him in that very same situation, so of course we should expect a perfect season for the remainder of the year. 12-4 should be good enough to win the division, but if home field advantage is not seen to be an advantage, maybe we let a few teams get a win along the way.

The best way to mend fences is to let those who are fighting walk a mile in the other's shoes. For just one game, let Ramsey be the coach, and Marrone play DB. During the week, TC gets to practice and study film while #20 sits in the front office and curmudgeons away at the state of the league today, and how football used to be played on an uphill field and it always seemed to be snowing. Once all that happens, I'm sure Ramsey will have no problem paying TC or Doug like the shutdown corner they are.

Sounds like a straight to DVD movie. I like it. 

+1
(10-14-2019, 06:50 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 27bd67ff789391f3b20953ee701bf576.jpg]

+1!! 

He just sucks you in!!
(10-15-2019, 11:43 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]I find it hard to argue against a coach who is perfect on the season, and doing so with guys he may not have wanted on the team. Being traded to another franchise would put him in that very same situation, so of course we should expect a perfect season for the remainder of the year. 12-4 should be good enough to win the division, but if home field advantage is not seen to be an advantage, maybe we let a few teams get a win along the way.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin +12348399 Likes.
Honestly I don't think a single head coach would be a very good return on investment considering Ramsey's once in the lifetime of the solar system type talent. To make it worthwhile, you'd need to get at least two head coaches and an assistant to be named later in the swap. I'd personally like to see us go after the Patriot's coaching staff since in addition to being able to scheme well they also have the ability to mesmerize the officiating crews during their games. Plus the Patriots would use Ramsey as he wants to be used, playing several positions on defense and working as a primary receiver for Tom Brady. To make this trade happen, the Pats would have to first acquire an additional head coach. I'd like to see them pick up Sean Payton. Bringing Payton and Bilicek to Jacksonville as head coaches would give us one of the strongest staffs in the league.
(10-16-2019, 06:46 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I don't think a single head coach would be a very good return on investment considering Ramsey's once in the lifetime of the solar system type talent. To make it worthwhile, you'd need to get at least two head coaches and an assistant to be named later in the swap. I'd personally like to see us go after the Patriot's coaching staff since in addition to being able to scheme well they also have the ability to mesmerize the officiating crews during their games. Plus the Patriots would use Ramsey as he wants to be used, playing several positions on defense and working as a primary receiver for Tom Brady. To make this trade happen, the Pats would have to first acquire an additional head coach. I'd like to see them pick up Sean Payton. Bringing Payton and Bilicek to Jacksonville as head coaches would give us one of the strongest staffs in the league.

We need to get their radio jammers thrown in for good measure.
(10-16-2019, 06:46 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I don't think a single head coach would be a very good return on investment considering Ramsey's once in the lifetime of the solar system type talent. To make it worthwhile, you'd need to get at least two head coaches and an assistant to be named later in the swap. I'd personally like to see us go after the Patriot's coaching staff since in addition to being able to scheme well they also have the ability to mesmerize the officiating crews during their games. Plus the Patriots would use Ramsey as he wants to be used, playing several positions on defense and working as a primary receiver for Tom Brady. To make this trade happen, the Pats would have to first acquire an additional head coach. I'd like to see them pick up Sean Payton. Bringing Payton and Bilicek to Jacksonville as head coaches would give us one of the strongest staffs in the league.

You misspelled Bellycheck.
(10-16-2019, 04:55 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]

You misspelled Bellycheck.

Damn spellcik.