Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PFF Ranks Jagaurs defense 22nd through 6 weeks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought it was a little high.  Outside of one game, few sacks, almost 0 turnovers, allowing lots of points.  I think they should be lower right now

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defense-ran...ugh-week-6

The jags defense was much better last week. Let us hope it's the new trend.
(10-17-2019, 03:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it was a little high.  Outside of one game, few sacks, almost 0 turnovers, allowing lots of points.  I think they should be lower right now

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defense-ran...ugh-week-6

22nd is pretty low

But outside of KC, I don't think many teams have been scoring at will so it isn't surprising to me
Oof.
I think it will improve with Ramsey gone.
Sounds about right to me. The dline can still be a strength, but the LB and secondary are sorely lacking.
(10-17-2019, 08:27 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds about right to me. The dline can still be a strength, but the LB and secondary are sorely lacking.

I feel like this defense is built for Dom Capers to take over. Jack is a good blitzer. Allen can be used like Clay Matthews. There are a lot of athletic, fast players - Quincy Williams, Ronnie Harrison, Yan, even Taven Bryant. Capers brings the pressure and unpredictability. 

Instead, Wash plays bend but don't break Seattle zone stuff most of the time.  

I would love to see Marrone and Wash canned at the bye, Flip made interim HC, and Capers to be lured back into coordinating. I think there'd be a night and day difference in aggression on both sides of the ball. I believe Marrone is probably handcuffing Flip to some degree.
(10-17-2019, 07:34 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: [ -> ]I think it will improve with Ramsey gone.

Thats crazy talk. Maybe they now know hes gone and they can mesh as a unit better but not better without Ramsey nah..
Todd Wash
cincy should be a get right game for the front 7
Like in years past, lack of consistency kills us. Although, the transition between the highs and the lows doesn’t seem to be as pronounced.
Well they have a chance this week to get those numbers up...will they do it? Who knows. I don't think things will change unless they bring in some more talent and a coordinator change
(10-17-2019, 09:16 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2019, 08:27 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds about right to me. The dline can still be a strength, but the LB and secondary are sorely lacking.

Instead, Wash plays bend but don't break Seattle zone stuff most of the time.  

Heard someone say on TV the other day about this particular defense that people have it figured out. 8 years ago it was the bees knees, now its just a zone defense to pick apart if your pass rush doesn't get home in 3 seconds or less.
(10-18-2019, 10:01 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2019, 09:16 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]Instead, Wash plays bend but don't break Seattle zone stuff most of the time.  

Heard someone say on TV the other day about this particular defense that people have it figured out. 8 years ago it was the bees knees, now its just a zone defense to pick apart if your pass rush doesn't get home in 3 seconds or less.

You are over simplifying the [BLEEP] out of it, but better D coordinators have absolutely had elements of it figured out for a number of years now. 

The pats laid the blueprint when they beat the s'hawks in the SB by attacking the quick stuff over the middle incessantly and then adjusting outside when seattle attempted to counter. 

The scheme relies on 4 guys up front forcing a QB into mistakes. It won't work well without that. 
If you have a QB and scheme adept at getting the ball out in 2.5 seconds or less and playmakers capable of YAC, then the scheme is beatable. 

The other way (more obvious for Jags fans) is when DC's identify zone giveaways and attack the soft spots. This is not in any way singular to this scheme however. It happens to every team.  Everyone runs some zone each week. It's just been too frequent for us under Wash.  For those who aren't aware, Wash's usage of zone sometimes varies greatly from opponent to opponent and he doesn't technically run it "most of the time."  He ran zone 44% of the time in 2018.
I'd like to see that closer to 30% personally. And I'd really love to see the bend but don't break [BLEEP] when we have a lead just disappear completely.
(10-18-2019, 10:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2019, 10:01 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Heard someone say on TV the other day about this particular defense that people have it figured out. 8 years ago it was the bees knees, now its just a zone defense to pick apart if your pass rush doesn't get home in 3 seconds or less.

You are over simplifying the [BLEEP] out of it, but better D coordinators have absolutely had elements of it figured out for a number of years now. 

The pats laid the blueprint when they beat the s'hawks in the SB by attacking the quick stuff over the middle incessantly and then adjusting outside when seattle attempted to counter. 

The scheme relies on 4 guys up front forcing a QB into mistakes. It won't work well without that. 
If you have a QB and scheme adept at getting the ball out in 2.5 seconds or less and playmakers capable of YAC, then the scheme is beatable. 

The other way (more obvious for Jags fans) is when DC's identify zone giveaways and attack the soft spots. This is not in any way singular to this scheme however. It happens to every team.  Everyone runs some zone each week. It's just been too frequent for us under Wash.  For those who aren't aware, Wash's usage of zone sometimes varies greatly from opponent to opponent and he doesn't technically run it "most of the time."  He ran zone 44% of the time in 2018.
I'd like to see that closer to 30% personally. And I'd really love to see the bend but don't break [BLEEP] when we have a lead just disappear completely.

Well... I was just repeating what I heard from someone who was talking about how bad Atlanta's D is (which uses the scheme)
So THEY are over simplifying it really. 

But really... it was hot to copy and now it is very beatable.
People tend to forget when Seattle first started this defense they had Sherman, Thomas, and a litany of stars in the front 7. As those stars left, even Seattle was beatable. By the time Quinn brought it to Atlanta, it was old news.

Also... not sure where your numbers came from but I heard most teams run zone like 60%. The Pats are the highest man cover usage team at close to 50% with (iirc) the Rams being the next closest running man only 36% of the time. From what I gather, most teams run a zone defense, most of the time.
I want to say it was Dan Orlovsky that was talking about it on Get Up.

To me it is simple... if you have a pocket QB, play more man. If you have a mobile guy, you play more zone.
But it's never cut so simply no matter who you play. You gotta mix it up or any decent QB/coach combo will be able to attack it.