Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Things to Fix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So we are nearing the halfway point of the season. With a few exceptions, we've been lucky with injuries so far. I think with everything that been thrown at us these first 7 weeks, I said I'd be happy with 3-4 before the season started.

But there are areas where we should be improving after 7 games. 

Firstly is 3rd down conversions. We are 28 for 91. 30%. We have to get that up. Too many drives ending. We seemed to have real struggles with 3rd and short yesterday. 

2- Scoring. Our O is 5th in rushing, 14th in passing, we are 10th in yards but 20th in points. Fournette has 144 carries for 715yds but only 1 TD so far. Only 1 rushing TD all season.
Chark has 5 TD's, O'Shaughnessy has 2 TD'S, Conley, Westbrook, Cole, Armstead with 1. Need those numbers up.

3- kick returns. Obviously the league has made changes but our longest punt return this year is 15 yards. Special teams can be a real game changer.
Red Zone offense: The play calling and route combinations have to be improved. Have to do a better job of scheming open players.

Pass rush: Have to do a better job applying pressure with the front four. Theyve done a great job on stopping the run but they need to get more consistent on the pass rush
I cannot wait for Foles to come back in and start. Minshew is a good backup. But he still plays like a rookie and shouldn't be expected to shoulder THIS team. He is capable, but you can still the rookieness in him. Other than that, there is not much else the Jags can really do until the offseason, IE the O LINE, CB, LB, ECT.
(10-21-2019, 01:08 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot wait for Foles to come back in and start. Minshew is a good backup. But he still plays like a rookie and shouldn't be expected to shoulder THIS team. He is capable, but you can still the rookieness in him. Other than that, there is not much else the Jags can really do until the offseason, IE the O LINE, CB, LB, ECT.

Foles will immediately get killed behind this line. That dude can't move in the pocket to save his life.

If we want to play Foles... we need a better Oline.
(10-21-2019, 01:08 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot wait for Foles to come back in and start. Minshew is a good backup. But he still plays like a rookie and shouldn't be expected to shoulder THIS team. He is capable, but you can still the rookieness in him. Other than that, there is not much else the Jags can really do until the offseason, IE the O LINE, CB, LB, ECT.

Someone already responded to this post but please do tell....What do you expect Foles to do?  Any expectations would be welcome so humor me.
BOYCOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT
(10-21-2019, 11:23 AM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]Red Zone offense: The play calling and route combinations have to be improved. Have to do a better job of scheming open players.

Pass rush: Have to do a better job applying pressure with the front four. Theyve done a great job on stopping the run but they need to get more consistent on the pass rush

Agreed. We have some tall receivers like D.J. Chark and Chris Conley. Granted we lack a pass catching TE right now, but there is simply no excuse for the lack of fade passes in the redzone. We have tall receivers who can high point the ball against smaller corners, yet we rarely even try this tactic. 

We rarely blitz and we play way too much zone coverage, rushing only 4 guys. When we have D-linemen like Campbell, Ngakoue, Dareus and a hybrid pass rusher like Allen, there is no excuse not to maximize their assets by letting them run wild. I realize that we no longer have Ramsey, but we do still have Bouye and the Safety play has been much better as well, so it's time to stop dropping so many guys into coverage and play more man to man, allowing our D-Linemen and linebackers to get after the QB more.
How is Foles going to come back and start when Minchew is the QB1.
(10-21-2019, 11:04 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]So we are nearing the halfway point of the season. With a few exceptions, we've been lucky with injuries so far. I think with everything that been thrown at us these first 7 weeks, I said I'd be happy with 3-4 before the season started.

Firstly is 3rd down conversions. We are 28 for 91. 30%. We have to get that up. Too many drives ending. We seemed to have real struggles with 3rd and short yesterday. 

2- Scoring. Our O is 5th in rushing, 14th in passing, we are 10th in yards but 20th in points. Fournette has 144 carries for 715yds but only 1 TD so far. Only 1 rushing TD all season.
Chark has 5 TD's, O'Shaughnessy has 2 TD'S, Conley, Westbrook, Cole, Armstead with 1. Need those numbers up.

3- kick returns. Obviously the league has made changes but our longest punt return this year is 15 yards. Special teams can be a real game changer.

I primarily agree with your take on 3rd downs. It's pretty amazing that they're 5th on the ground and 14th in passing yet woefully fall down the ladder on 3rd down conversions. 

I would say the penalties need to get cleaned up. Yesterday it seemed quiet in that regard. In fairness I was in and out of the house so I didn't catch everything. But it felt relatively quiet. 

I would say they need to figure out a way to get Armstead involved on offense. Fournette is a work horse. But it feels like we're missing a change of pace back in this offense and maybe a fresh Armstead converts those 3rd and 4th short yardage situations. Won't know until they've tried.
Minshew's mobility makes up for this lousy protection most of the time.
(10-21-2019, 03:02 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2019, 11:04 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]So we are nearing the halfway point of the season. With a few exceptions, we've been lucky with injuries so far. I think with everything that been thrown at us these first 7 weeks, I said I'd be happy with 3-4 before the season started.

I primarily agree with your take on 3rd downs. It's pretty amazing that they're 5th on the ground and 14th in passing yet woefully fall down the ladder on 3rd down conversions. 

I would say the penalties need to get cleaned up. Yesterday it seemed quiet in that regard. In fairness I was in and out of the house so I didn't catch everything. But it felt relatively quiet. 

I would say they need to figure out a way to get Armstead involved on offense. Fournette is a work horse. But it feels like we're missing a change of pace back in this offense and maybe a fresh Armstead converts those 3rd and 4th short yardage situations. Won't know until they've tried. 

Absolutely. Like you say, we are 5th in rushing but we've only had 1 rushing TD all year. Were doing it, were just not getting the reward for it. I think they wanted to kick the rust of Fournette, work him this early and hopefully Armstead can come in and be as effective. Were missing that Corey Grant '3rd Heat'. 

Penalties as you say are also a reason why that 3rd down % is what it is. Hard when your in 3rd and 16.
penalties should be number 1
*I think the red-zone package in the play book needs to be tweaked and augmented.  Need to introduce more misdirection in RZ runs and get some TE involvement in the RZ pass game.

*1st down false starts and holds need to be cut in half at the least.  Way too many drives starting out with 15 or 20 yards required to move the chains.

*Score points before halftime.  Relying on a late surge against a worn down defense is not going to work consistently vs the better teams we'll face.

*Need to gameplan more quick release plays.  The o-line is not holding up well when MInshew holds the ball too long.
On special teams Westbrook needs to stop letting the opposing team dictate where the ball is spotted after the punt. There was at least two instances this last game where the ball was spotted way to close to the endzone because he let the ball go and the Bengals touched the ball where it was spotted. This isn't the only game I've seen this happen with him.
(10-21-2019, 05:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]On special teams Westbrook needs to stop letting the opposing team dictate where the ball is spotted after the punt. There was at least two instances this last game where the ball was spotted way to close to the endzone because he let the ball go and the Bengals touched the ball where it was spotted. This isn't the only game I've seen this happen with him.

Absolutely. It seems we have started so many drives inside our 5 yard line this year. Surprising there’s been no safety’s!
(10-21-2019, 05:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]*I think the red-zone package in the play book needs to be tweaked and augmented.  Need to introduce more misdirection in RZ runs and get some TE involvement in the RZ pass game.

*1st down false starts and holds need to be cut in half at the least.  Way to many drives starting out with 15 or 20 yards required to move the chains.

*Score points before halftime.  Relying on a late surge against a worn down defense is not going to work consistently vs the better teams we'll face.

*Need to gameplan more quick release plays.  The o-line is not holding up well when MInshew holds the ball too long.

Post of the day.
(10-21-2019, 05:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]*I think the red-zone package in the play book needs to be tweaked and augmented.  Need to introduce more misdirection in RZ runs and get some TE involvement in the RZ pass game.

*1st down false starts and holds need to be cut in half at the least.  Way too many drives starting out with 15 or 20 yards required to move the chains.

I especially second that last note there. Need 2.0 - 2.5 second type plays in the passing game. Get Fournette, Westbrook and hopefully Oliver involved in that approach.

It's New England. But they're hurting bad along the OLINE this year and they're getting the ball in and out of Brady's hands tonight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
We need to fix the offensive line, tight ends, linebackers, and secondary.
(10-21-2019, 10:36 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We need to fix the offensive line, tight ends, linebackers, and secondary.

What's wrong with the secondary?  They have actually played pretty good.
(10-21-2019, 10:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2019, 10:36 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We need to fix the offensive line, tight ends, linebackers, and secondary.

What's wrong with the secondary?  They have actually played pretty good.

Pretty obvious....

CB is a pretty big priority now... Herndon is fine depth, but he's not the answer. CB needs to be addressed early in the draft now.

Wilson is solid, but FS can definitely be upgraded.
Pages: 1 2