Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A former GM suggests to The Athletic a Nick Foles to Chicago trade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Michael Lombardi thinks the Chicago Bears should give the Jags a call and “see what it would take” to bring Foles to Chicago. This would give us a chance to further the development of Minshew, pick up draft capital, and shed some salary. Chicago has a Super Bowl defense and good pieces on offense (Allen Robinson, Trey Burton, Tarik Cohen), would make sense for them. 

A 2020 2nd was the projected asking price

What do you think about a Foles to Chicago trade
Foles and Minshew are insurance policies against each other
Don’t get your hopes up.
Gives us back Allen Robinson... Jk...

A 3rd and I'd let him go...
I am not convinced Minshew is our guy yet. I need to see him against more elite defenses like New Orleans and see that he can learn from his mistakes and get better.

Getting rid of Foles right now would be foolish.
He's not going to be dealt before the deadline and will likely also be a Jag in 2020.
(10-21-2019, 06:27 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not convinced Minshew is our guy yet. I need to see him against more elite defenses like New Orleans and see that he can learn from his mistakes and get better.

Getting rid of Foles right now would be foolish.

I’m not sure Minshew is our guy either. But I am just as sure that our Super Bowl window might have closed. A “soft retooling” might be in order. A 2nd or 3rd and the shedding of the contract would be, in my opinion, the best for the Jaguars. My thought is supplementing  Minshew in the 2020 draft with protection and weapons. Give him every opportunity to prove he’s the guy in 2020 and if he fails, you have two firsts in 2021 to figure out a QB situation (with hopefully a great o-line and weapons)
I think they have to see what they have in Foles first before completely cutting ties. I’m a Minshew Maniac right up there with most fans but given how important the QB position is, I’m hesitant to give up on a guy who hasn’t done anything wrong yet. Hell he got hurt throwing a perfect rainbow TD bomb. Minshew isn’t going anywhere no time soon so no rush. They can figure this out in the offseason or trade deadline next year.
Shed his cap hit plus a second, I’d do it in a heartbeat.
(10-21-2019, 07:10 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: [ -> ]Shed his cap hit plus a second, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

We have a potential out in 2021. A move before then would be extremely costly.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville...oles-9898/
(10-21-2019, 07:10 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: [ -> ]Shed his cap hit plus a second, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

I gotta agree.  I can see the other side, never a bad idea to have 2 good players at the position, but I can't call the idea "foolish".

Also:  What would the cap benefits really be?  I know we already paid him a bundle, so would we free up that much?
(10-21-2019, 06:26 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Gives us back Allen Robinson... Jk...

Poor ARob. Went from Bortles to Trubisky. If that guy ever had a real QB, he would put up some unreal numbers.

He had some awesome routes yesterday including his TD.
(10-21-2019, 06:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]He's not going to be dealt before the deadline and will likely also be a Jag in 2020.

I'm going to follow this up with a reason why he's likely staying in Jax.  
Minshew has taken 16 sacks in 27 quarters of football.  He looked like he was struggling due to one or both of the injuries he's accrued vs N.O. and to a slightly lesser degree vs cincy.  Foles obviously is also a victim of pressure allowed by this O-Line.  This, combined with both Foles AND Minshew still having much to prove would have me keeping both around until at least the trade deadline next year. 

If at that time, the line is a bit better and Minshew is rated equal to or better than Foles - and a QB needy team wants to part with a high pick...
...go for it.  I like the insurance for now and I want to know more about what we've got in each of them. 
I hope Foles plays some games between weeks 11-17 we can compare these guys.
I would take a second rounder in a minute if it weren't for the salary cap.  I don't have the exact figure, but if Foles was traded, we would have to accelerate a huge amount of guaranteed money.  I seriously doubt we could even afford it under the 2019 cap.  I think it's safe to say he's here for the season and likely 2020 for the same reason.  It would have been so great if we could gotten Minshew last year before we signed Foles.  This team just seems to be cursed.  Even when something good happens, the timing if awful.

Another question:  What would be your minimum price to accept a trade for Minshew?  (Don't say "nothing".  If someone offered you 5 first rounders, you wouldn't take it?)
As someone who lives in Chicago and listens to ESPN Chicago every morning... let me just tell you that the fans & hosts of the show are absolutely sick of Mitch Trubisky. And I've heard callers asking about Foles + Bridgewater + Cam.

Fun fact: one of the hosts of ESPN Chicago's mid-day show is a former Jaguars player. John Jurkovic. He played D-line with the Jags from 96-98.
His contract makes any trade almost impossible. We'd be in cap Hell if we traded him now. Besides, we don't even know how good Minshew is gonna be yet. I'd rather keep both for now.
No thank you. Put Foles back in when he is ready to go and let the kid sit and learn the rest of this year and next year..... Minshew has been fun, but he still has some glaring holes in his game. Quit making the same mistakes over and over with new QB's.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
(10-21-2019, 07:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2019, 06:26 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Gives us back Allen Robinson... Jk...

Poor ARob. Went from Bortles to Trubisky. If that guy ever had a real QB, he would put up some unreal numbers.

Yup, he literally went from Bortles, to Bortles 2.0 lol..

Rough.

Imagine how good this WR group would look with Robinson, Chark and Dede...  Wallbash

Instead they gave Moncrief $10m for 1 season and $35m over 4 seasons to Lee...

Bears gave Robinson $42m over 3 seasons... This team could have easily signed him instead of those two... But nope, good job FO...  Sick
(10-21-2019, 08:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2019, 07:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Poor ARob. Went from Bortles to Trubisky. If that guy ever had a real QB, he would put up some unreal numbers.

Yup, he literally went from Bortles, to Bortles 2.0 lol..

Rough.

Imagine how good this WR group would look with Robinson, Chark and Dede...  Wallbash

Bears gave Robinson $42m over 3 seasons... This team could have easily signed him instead of those two... But nope, good job FO...  Sick
He has to want to be here
(10-21-2019, 08:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2019, 08:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, he literally went from Bortles, to Bortles 2.0 lol..

Rough.

He has to want to be here

So you're telling me Coughlin ran off another one of our great players... Shocker, who would have thought.

Seems to be a trend lately of players not wanting to be here since he came back. I wonder why..  Laughing
Pages: 1 2 3 4