Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Leonard Fournette and his NextGen Stats against stack boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to NFL NextGen Stats - Leonard Fournette is facing a stacked box more than the other top 10 rushers and yet is still 10 yards shy of leading the NFL in rushing yards.
LF began the season facing less stacked boxes than he had faced in previous years.

In week four of this season DeFilippo adjusted to running from more two and three TE sets and greater use of the H-Back as a lead blocker.
The increase in stacked boxes were nothing more than a direct adjustment of defenses to place defenders in the corresponding positions to our formation.

Luckily, these tight ends (and their replacements) have been making enough good (sometimes great) blocks that it has increased LF's effectiveness greatly.
Been doing that since his arrival in Jacksonville; same @ LSU. Imagine if he played with a top QB like Aaron Rogers or that guy in New England.
His production has improved, and that's great, but why does he only have one TD on the year?
(10-24-2019, 11:28 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]His production has improved, and that's great, but why does he only have one TD on the year?

Poor red-zone play design in the run game. 

Still on your Trent Richardson 2.0 narrative or nah?
Yep, I thought we were going to see a fun new offense after week 1 when we were in 11 personnel a lot more than normal. Unfortunately we went back to our usual heavy sets offense primarily and the "stacked" boxes have naturally returned with it.
(10-24-2019, 11:30 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, I thought we were going to see a fun new offense after week 1 when we were in 11 personnel a lot more than normal. Unfortunately we went back to our usual heavy sets offense primarily and the "stacked" boxes have naturally returned with it.

Doesn't matter when he's regularly running for 7 yards against 9 in the box.
(10-24-2019, 11:30 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, I thought we were going to see a fun new offense after week 1 when we were in 11 personnel a lot more than normal. Unfortunately we went back to our usual heavy sets offense primarily and the "stacked" boxes have naturally returned with it.

Fournette is better with a fullback.  Always has been.  Probably always will be.

You don't find it fun when Leonard is getting 8, 10, and 15 yard chunks in the run game?
(10-24-2019, 11:42 AM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]

Fournette is better with a fullback.  Always has been.  Probably always will be.

You don't find it fun when Leonard is getting 8, 10, and 15 yard chunks in the run game?

Its not fun if it isnt modern

The era of the great runningbacks and run game is returning. The pendulum is swinging back.
(10-24-2019, 11:42 AM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]

I just don't think that it's a sustainable winning model. It's worked against the 3 bottom 10 rush defenses we've faced, but he got shut down against the two good ones and then he's split good and bad against the mediocre rush defenses. I'm also worried that teams realize that we can only rush left and they'll start keying on that.
We need to run to the left more, set up misdirections to the right
(10-24-2019, 11:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2019, 11:28 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]His production has improved, and that's great, but why does he only have one TD on the year?

Poor red-zone play design in the run game. 

So play calling, okay.

He's had a few good games in a row. If he continues that and scores some TDs instead of running into tackles at the goal line maybe his reputation can change. It's pretty early to declare his script flipped, but at least it's better than it was.
When I watch him something just seems off with him..

I don't know - other RBs seem quicker, shiftier and faster.

Maybe I just hate his running style?

He's doing better... but I'm just not sure how much of that is due to the teams he gashed sucking.
(10-24-2019, 11:49 AM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2019, 11:42 AM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]Fournette is better with a fullback.  Always has been.  Probably always will be.

Its not fun if it isnt modern

The era of the great runningbacks and run game is returning. The pendulum is swinging back.
I highly doubt that. What makes you think the pendulum is swinging back? Because Fournette is playing well?

Having a great back is a wonderful thing but that back has to be able to do more than just run the ball. They have to be good/great pass catchers too. Cook, Fournette, Chubb, Zeke, Carson, CMac are all leading rushers and all have 20+ catches.
(10-24-2019, 12:49 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2019, 11:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Poor red-zone play design in the run game. 

So play calling, okay.

He's had a few good games in a row. If he continues that and scores some TDs instead of running into tackles at the goal line maybe his reputation can change. It's pretty early to declare his script flipped, but at least it's better than it was.

Not exactly play calling, but play design in their redzone package.  Semantics, I guess. 

When they run in the red zone, they are lining up in a power set with extra linemen and/or TEs all at the line and just daring defenses to gum up the middle with extra defenders.  It's not working.  

I can only recall two runs inside the five that were not like this all year. 

Some misdirection,  stretch plays, or runs out of a spread formation - anything to spread out the defense - would help IMO.

BTW - you once said his ceiling was Trent Richardson. He's well on his way to being far more productive than Richardson was.
(10-24-2019, 01:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2019, 11:49 AM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]Its not fun if it isnt modern

I highly doubt that. What makes you think the pendulum is swinging back? Because Fournette is playing well?

Having a great back is a wonderful thing but that back has to be able to do more than just run the ball. They have to be good/great pass catchers too. Cook, Fournette, Chubb, Zeke, Carson, CMac are all leading rushers and all have 20+ catches.

Receiving backs are nothing new. Just a bit more prevalent right now than they've been historically. 

Lots of guys that had multiple years of high receiving numbers from days gone by:
Larry Centers, Thurman Thomas, Ray Rice, Eric Metcalf, Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, James Jones, Ahman Green, Kevin Faulk, Reggie Bush,Tiki Barber, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, heck even Fred Taylor had 286 career catches.