Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Austin Calitro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had never heard of this guy until today. Not even sure when we signed him.

Had 7 tackles, 1 TFL, and a QB hit. 

Looks like he bounced around the league and was with Seattle last year. Seems to be a solid depth LB at worst and played a really good game for us today, I remember seeing him all over the place today. Just wanted to give him a shout out.
He was Seattle’s “preseason MVP” doing exactly what he did today and a lot of fans were upset that he was cut. It’s pretty obvious why.
Lost in coverage. I mean he was a dude, not obviously terrible but we miss Telvin or another speedy backer that can cover these TE's.. Griffin abused us in the pass game. Luckily Darnold was rattled and we just started bringing the heat and were able to escape. Herndon had his best game, forcing an OPI and 2 INTs. Calitro showed up well in the running game. Bell was a non factor.
Telvin who?
The good thing about him is that he played in Seattle and they use the same defensive system we use.

I thought he played pretty decently for a guy who had maybe one day of practice.
(10-28-2019, 06:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]The good thing about him is that he played in Seattle and they use the same defensive system we use.  

I thought he played pretty decently for a guy who had maybe one day of practice.

He's been with the team since September 3rd.

Calitro did struggle to identify his coverage responsibility at times and the TE Griffin worked him on the jets first drive. 

He settled in after that and played a good game.  Quality backup level performance. Esp. vs the run.
Like some others here i went "Huh" when I heard his name called by the announcers....
But, he seemed all over the place during the game as I saw his jersey pretty regularly.
I think as the season rolls on all this team will only get more focused and better.
Teams that start strong early often sputter as the season goes on.
Was out of position on the initial TD catch & run, but high impact on blitzes and against the run. A decent pickup off waivers
Cilantro did pretty good.
Kid made a case for some playing time at SLB even when Leon Jacobs returns. As long as he's not asked to cover TOO much, i think he's as solid depth as you'll find. He did an outstanding job yesterday.
(10-28-2019, 03:04 AM)RJaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]Lost in coverage. I mean he was a dude, not obviously terrible but we miss Telvin or another speedy backer that can cover these TE's.. Griffin abused us in the pass game. Luckily Darnold was rattled and we just started bringing the heat and were able to escape. Herndon had his best game, forcing an OPI and 2 INTs. Calitro showed up well in the running game. Bell was a non factor.

Wait, are we on about the same guy? Telvin Smith looks lost in coverage!
Villanova ??  Heck, if Gene Smith were still around this dude would have been a 2nd rounder (but we would have traded up to get him)
Glad he hustles and likes to tackle. However, his lack of quickness was evident and limits him ideally to a backup role.
Given the guy spent most weeks inactive then got thrust into starting duty...he overall did fairly well. Leveon Bell has a nasty habit of making LB's look like absolute IDIOTS. He averaged 2.3 YPC and only had 35 overall yards yesterday. Not quite sure the blown coverages on the TE were BOTH is fault. He impressed. Id like to see Malcolm Smith get some PT against the tinhorns Sunday, simply because he has more experience. If their O line is banged up, pressuring Watson is going to be CRITICAL to the game plan.
He was flat out lost in coverage.TE smoked him 3 times. He’s good against the run and shedding blocks.

Typical back up.
Meh
His run defense is on point but as mentioned , his pass defense needs to be polished up...Alot. He reminds me of a young Poz.

NH3...
(10-28-2019, 02:34 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2019, 03:04 AM)RJaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]Lost in coverage. I mean he was a dude, not obviously terrible but we miss Telvin or another speedy backer that can cover these TE's.. Griffin abused us in the pass game. Luckily Darnold was rattled and we just started bringing the heat and were able to escape. Herndon had his best game, forcing an OPI and 2 INTs. Calitro showed up well in the running game. Bell was a non factor.

Wait, are we on about the same guy? Telvin Smith looks lost in coverage!

To be fair, most linebackers struggle covering tight ends and receivers. 

Telvin struggled badly at times, Myles Jack is terrible at it this season, and there's really only a handful of guys league wide that consistently play good coverage at linebacker and also play strong vs the run. 

Calitro struggled at it early in the game but settled in as the game progressed.  I'd like to see how he learns from that film. I don't think he's our future at WLB or anything, but he could be an asset on the depth chart down the road.
(10-29-2019, 07:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2019, 02:34 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, are we on about the same guy? Telvin Smith looks lost in coverage!

To be fair, most linebackers struggle covering tight ends and receivers. 

Telvin struggled badly at times, Myles Jack is terrible at it this season, and there's really only a handful of guys league wide that consistently play good coverage at linebacker and also play strong vs the run. 

Calitro struggled at it early in the game but settled in as the game progressed.  I'd like to see how he learns from that film. I don't think he's our future at WLB or anything, but he could be an asset on the depth chart down the road.

Exactly this ^^

This team has a history of being destroyed by TEs.  When you get a quality TE it is such a benefit to your team and we talk about the if only of us having one on our offense.  Jets have a good one.
(10-29-2019, 08:16 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2019, 07:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair, most linebackers struggle covering tight ends and receivers. 

Exactly this ^^

This team has a history of being destroyed by TEs.  When you get a quality TE it is such a benefit to your team and we talk about the if only of us having one on our offense.  Jets have a good one.

The Griffin kid is their backup, but he played well.  

On the first TD Calitro was slow to realize that the TE who had lined up at receiver was coming inside to his area and then he overran him and couldn't recover to the inside. 

It was actually a great play design. The RB went out past the TE to a wheel route and the TE sort of picks Jack as he tries to cover the RB's route.  This forces the safety Harrison (who would have stayed with the TE) to shift to the outside to help Jack with the RB. Now the TE is in space one on one with a backup LB 7 yards away who overreacts and gets caught unable to recover. 

Griffin had another TD and it was also a pick play. This time the RB and TE cross each other near the goalline,  and the RB takes Jack out of the play leaving the TE open

I've never been perfectly clear on exactly what makes these pick plays illegal when they are called. Anyone know that rule to the letter?
Pages: 1 2