Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: First London Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
For the past two seasons, the first NFL games in England followed by head coaches got canned. Dennis Allen was let go from the Raiders in 2014 and Joe Philbin from the Fins in 2015. I wonder if the trend will continue...?

We are all hoping so.

In my opinion it has to be done.
Win or lose,  the Week # 4 game in London is a great opportunity for the Jaguars.   Normally,  it's best for teams that the bye comes later in this season.   IMO,  not in this case. 

Quote:Win or lose, the Week # 4 game in London is a great opportunity for the Jaguars. Normally, it's best for teams that the bye comes later in this season. IMO, not in this case.

Do you think the trend continues tho?
Quote:For the past two seasons, the first NFL games in England followed by head coaches got canned. Dennis Allen was let go from the Raiders in 2014 and Joe Philbin from the Fins in 2015. I wonder if the trend will continue...?

Wow ... that is interesting and kind of funny.

Loser gets fired.
Quote:Do you think the trend continues tho?

More likely than not if the Jaguars lose the game.  

I'm basing this on Shad Khan's much higher expectations comments and Dave Caldwell believing the Jaguars are much better equipped to compete this season.
Gus should be gone barring a blowout victory in London, 1-3 is just not acceptable with this roster. The issues has been beaten to death, 169 of 170 coaches over 50 games coached. Barring a perfect performance Sunday, he is gone. One can only hope. 

I wonder if a coach has ever been fired after winning his last game?
Quote:I wonder if a coach has ever been fired after winning his last game?

It's happened many times at the end of regular seasons.    One time that really stands out is when Lovie Smith coached the Chicago Bears to victory in Detroit in the final 2012 regular season game.  Despite a 10-6 record,  he was fired after the Bears lost a playoff tiebreaker. 
Quote:We are all hoping so.

In my opinion it has to be done.

Obviously we are not all hoping so. Some fans still want him to stay employed until January 2 or later.
Quote:  More likely than not if the Jaguars lose the game.  

I'm basing this on Shad Khan's much higher expectations comments and Dave Caldwell believing the Jaguars are much better equipped to compete this season.

Shad Khan and Dave Caldwell basically said, "playoffs or bust," which I assume means Gus Bradley will not be fired before New Year's Day. You don't hear other executives say that and then fire the coach after only four games, do you?
lol whats funny is I think we win this one.

Quote:Obviously we are not all hoping so. Some fans still want him to stay employed until January 2 or later.

His wife and kids don't count

Quote:lol whats funny is I think we win this one.

It is very possible, actually. The Colts have not been good this season and are understaffed in the secondary.
Quote:His wife and kids don't count

People on this forum do.
Quote:Shad Khan and Dave Caldwell basically said, "playoffs or bust," which I assume means Gus Bradley will not be fired before New Year's Day. You don't hear other executives say that and then fire the coach after only four games, do you?

The answer to your question is yes I do.  
Quote:People on this forum do.

What do people on this forum do
Quote:What do people on this forum do?

The same thing I do: post their opinions about when Gus Bradley should be fired.
He's out if we lose this Sunday. At that point we're 0 - 4 headed into the bye week. It's no longer acceptable. I said before the draft this year that I was expecting a team that looked like it was capable of flirting with .500 all year. If we could finish with 7 or 8 wins I'd be pretty happy and content as a fan headed into 2017. Right now this team has a lot of soul searching to do on the offensive side of the football. Especially on that line and in the backfield with the running game. It's absolutely setting this team back this year.

The defense in fairness showed plenty of capability in our two home losses to Green Bay and Baltimore. They could actually carry this team this year. It's just a shame we can't rely on the running game at all so far. And to me that's more basic than anything. That should be the first thing that's drilled and installed into the system every off-season. It's inexcusable to see these guys getting knocked off their feet and blown back into the running back. At some point they have to look at addressing the scheme to make it effective or something to that effect. But right now, we're averaging something like what? 44.0 or 54.0 rushing yards per game? That's not going to cut it. 

Does Bortles need to improve on his mechanics? Certainly. But should he also be averaging 40 - 50 pass attempts per game? No, absolutely not. Not when this defense is capable of keeping the games close and they're getting off the field on third downs. They need to be able to run the football to let him excel at what he's good at like he did last year late in games. And that's working off the play action game and bootlegs to throw it down the field. He's not a dink and dunk quarterback. I think that's pretty clear right now. And I think they've put too much emphasis on that so far that it's actually hindering his ability to hit those deeper passes on the few times they're open for him to take those shots. 

But he's having to compensate and throw too much to keep this team remotely close in football games. You can see it's a trend too just through three weeks so far. The top seven quarterbacks right now in pass attempts so far this year are combined for 13 wins with 17 losses. And, not so ironic, when you get to the guys ranked or tied for the 5th - 7th slot in pass attempts, they have a win or two. And when you look at the game logs where they lost, they had to throw the football more to try and compensate for a poor defensive effort or running game. I.E Pittsburgh's beat down against Philadelphia. 

So the Jags game is going to be on at the same time Arsenal is playing. One team is on fire and one team is playing like crap. Not a hard decision at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4