Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: House committee approves landmark bill legalizing marijuana at the federal level
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
House committee approves landmark bill legalizing marijuana at the federal level

The House Judiciary Committee approved a bill Wednesday that legalizes marijuana on the federal level, removing it from Schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/20/house-co...VkwI4-cVVw
it's about time, but don't expect Moscow Mitch, a.k.a. The Grim Reaper, to let it get anywhere in the Senate. It makes too much sense, and would give bipartisanship a victory. A double whammy for him.
(11-21-2019, 02:12 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]it's about time, but don't expect Moscow Mitch, a.k.a. The Grim Reaper, to let it get anywhere in the Senate. It makes too much sense, and would give bipartisanship a victory. A double whammy for him.

Joe Biden already said he would veto it, so let's not pretend there isn't bi-partisan opposition.
(11-21-2019, 02:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2019, 02:12 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]it's about time, but don't expect Moscow Mitch, a.k.a. The Grim Reaper, to let it get anywhere in the Senate. It makes too much sense, and would give bipartisanship a victory. A double whammy for him.

Joe Biden already said he would veto it, so let's not pretend there isn't bi-partisan opposition.

That Biden really harshes my buzz
Let's just remove it from a Schedule 1 Classification shall we?

In no rational persons mind is weed even close to as bad on a physical or social level than heroin or crack.
I've got mixed feelings about this.  I don't use the drug myself (though I might have been known to partake in my teens), but I have seen where it helped family members going through chemo.  There certainly is a medical benefit and the more I learn about CBD the more that I am in favor of having that option available for people.

On the other hand I have also seen where the abuse of the drug has caused hardship because of employment matters as well as motivational matters.

I kind of look at it like this.  On my off-days from work when I am out on my property in the middle of the woods, I partake in some beers and sometimes a bit of bourbon.  It helps me relax and I enjoy it.  However, I am not driving anywhere, operating dangerous machinery or otherwise endangering others while doing so.  I know that there are others that will abuse alcohol and drive while drunk that kill people or themselves due to accidents.  My only fear is that people that drive while "high" or operate dangerous machinery while "high" will do the same.

The other thing is, I've seen where people that abuse the drug (marijuana) have no motivation and are un-employable.

I think that the key word here is abuse.  In my case for example, if I'm off of work, on my property out in the woods not planning to drive anywhere I should be able to use mind-altering drugs if I choose to do so whether it be alcohol or marijuana.  It's the ones that "wake and bake" that present a danger to society much like the ones that wake and have a drink.  If you need ANY drug just to "operate normally" you have a problem.

When it comes to employment, it's up to the company in question.  Pretty much every company/agency that I have ever worked for tested for illegal drug use.  That's company policy not something that the government needs to dictate.
(11-21-2019, 02:57 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Let's just remove it from a Schedule 1 Classification shall we?

In no rational persons mind is weed even close to as bad on a physical or social level than heroin or crack.

I don't know about that, if your family member ends up having a psychotic break cause of weed becoming a schizophrenic, you might sing a different tune. Especially since all the weed is much higher potency than in previous decades (14% THC vs 3% in 60's) and high potency weed has lower levels than normal of CBD (which is actually a protective component), it is much more likely to cause these episodes in predisposed individuals. The problem is you don't know who is predisposed a head of time (although young late teens black males are higher risk).

I used to think it should be legal everywhere, and I think it should be much better studied than it is, but I don't think it should be available recreationally. CBD appears to have some actual use, I don't think that THC has any tho.
(11-21-2019, 07:47 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2019, 02:57 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Let's just remove it from a Schedule 1 Classification shall we?

I don't know about that, if your family member ends up having a psychotic break cause of weed becoming a schizophrenic, you might sing a different tune. Especially since all the weed is much higher potency than in previous decades (14% THC vs 3% in 60's) and high potency weed has lower levels than normal of CBD (which is actually a protective component), it is much more likely to cause these episodes in predisposed individuals. The problem is you don't know who is predisposed a head of time (although young late teens black males are higher risk).

I used to think it should be legal everywhere, and I think it should be much better studied than it is, but I don't think it should be available recreationally. CBD appears to have some actual use, I don't think that THC has any tho.

lol

okay

That doesn't happen in reality.

Used it since I was 16 and I only do the very best and I've been with hundreds upon hundreds of people who never have heard of such a thing.

You're perpetuating a falsehood that has pervaded our culture since the 40s... just stop.
The only problem with weed is it's illegality. Big Pharma and a for profit prison system are the reason it remains that way. Get rid of the federal road blocks and the country would see a 80 billion dollar industry explode almost overnight. After taxation the FED would have to find new and improved ways to redistribute and waste all the tax cash.
(11-21-2019, 06:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I've got mixed feelings about this.  I don't use the drug myself (though I might have been known to partake in my teens), but I have seen where it helped family members going through chemo.  There certainly is a medical benefit and the more I learn about CBD the more that I am in favor of having that option available for people.

On the other hand I have also seen where the abuse of the drug has caused hardship because of employment matters as well as motivational matters.

I kind of look at it like this.  On my off-days from work when I am out on my property in the middle of the woods, I partake in some beers and sometimes a bit of bourbon.  It helps me relax and I enjoy it.  However, I am not driving anywhere, operating dangerous machinery or otherwise endangering others while doing so.  I know that there are others that will abuse alcohol and drive while drunk that kill people or themselves due to accidents.  My only fear is that people that drive while "high" or operate dangerous machinery while "high" will do the same.

The other thing is, I've seen where people that abuse the drug (marijuana) have no motivation and are un-employable.

I think that the key word here is abuse.  In my case for example, if I'm off of work, on my property out in the woods not planning to drive anywhere I should be able to use mind-altering drugs if I choose to do so whether it be alcohol or marijuana.  It's the ones that "wake and bake" that present a danger to society much like the ones that wake and have a drink.  If you need ANY drug just to "operate normally" you have a problem.

When it comes to employment, it's up to the company in question.  Pretty much every company/agency that I have ever worked for tested for illegal drug use.  That's company policy not something that the government needs to dictate.

I agree with you regarding abuse. A lot of people can abuse just about anything. You can abuse alcohol. You can abuse marijuana. You can abuse prescription drugs. You can abuse food. You can abuse just about anything really. Of course there's risks and there's going to be a population of people within that community who make mistakes while under the influence. And I am sure the justice system will be more than happy to rightfully bend them over the table and give them exactly what they deserve in a court of law. 

All is fair. My biggest reasoning for legalizing it and making it obtainable like alcohol is fairly simple. Crime. It may not drive crime rates down in general but it'll certainly allow police to go after bigger and badder issues within their communities that are dealing harder drugs, committing serious offenses and it'll allow them to allocate more resources to investigate other situations instead of worrying about some kid down the street in a hoodie peddling a little reefer on the side for $20 here or $40 there. 

It may very well have a direct impact on Mexico's influence as well with their "imports" across the border that seems to easily go untouched and unnoticed most of the time. The medical benefits are there as well. It also hurts the black market which is better for everyone in the long run who partake in it on the side to self medicate. Plenty of home batched oils have been linked recently to harmful lung conditions. And it's mostly because of the at home chemicals being added to it. 

Most jobs are also very stressful. Alcohol is also hard on the body. Marijuana? Maybe not so much. Especially if you opt to ingest it instead of smoking it or vaping it. But the abuse is important. I am glad you mentioned it. I think it offers opportunities for researchers to further our advancements in how the human psyche works and how it's not always the substance that hooks you but it's really the individual with an addictive personality that is hampered with it. As cited earlier. You can abuse many things. 

But many things can also be considered addictive. Sex, violence, video games, gambling, religion, weight lifting, the desire to gain monetary value at the expense of human lives with mindless self indulgence, etc. Some people are publicly shamed for their respective addictions. Unless the risk is different. It's okay if you spill oil in the ocean and endanger an entire species. But if it means netting your corporation and board of directors millions upon millions of dollars annually? No big deal. We'll clean it up and hire a good publicist. 

I think with many things that we've seen in our country over the last century that's as touchy as a subject as this one. It'll come with a lot of growing pains. But in the long run it'll be for the best.
(11-22-2019, 02:29 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2019, 07:47 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about that, if your family member ends up having a psychotic break cause of weed becoming a schizophrenic, you might sing a different tune. Especially since all the weed is much higher potency than in previous decades (14% THC vs 3% in 60's) and high potency weed has lower levels than normal of CBD (which is actually a protective component), it is much more likely to cause these episodes in predisposed individuals. The problem is you don't know who is predisposed a head of time (although young late teens black males are higher risk).

lol

okay

Used it since I was 16 and I only do the very best and I've been with hundreds upon hundreds of people who never have heard of such a thing.

You're perpetuating a falsehood that has pervaded our culture since the 40s... just stop.

Wow, stoners who justify their behavior and anecdotes as data. Totally legit.

(11-22-2019, 10:04 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]The only problem with weed is it's illegality. Big Pharma and a for profit prison system are the reason it remains that way. Get rid of the federal road blocks and the country would see a 80 billion dollar industry explode almost overnight. After taxation the FED would have to find new and improved ways to redistribute and waste all the tax cash.

In actual scientific controlled studies an individual was proven 6 times more likely to develop psychosis if he has consumed cannabis more than 50 times. Just what we need, another 2 million lunatics running around loose.
(11-22-2019, 11:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2019, 02:29 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]lol

okay

(11-22-2019, 10:04 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]The only problem with weed is it's illegality. Big Pharma and a for profit prison system are the reason it remains that way. Get rid of the federal road blocks and the country would see a 80 billion dollar industry explode almost overnight. After taxation the FED would have to find new and improved ways to redistribute and waste all the tax cash.

In actual scientific controlled studies an individual was proven 6 times more likely to develop psychosis if he has consumed cannabis more than 50 times. Just what we need, another 2 million lunatics running around loose.

Keep believing the lies the government feeds ya
(11-22-2019, 01:20 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2019, 11:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, stoners who justify their behavior and anecdotes as data. Totally legit.

Keep believing the lies the government feeds ya

There's cases of strong psychedelic experiences from ingesting marijuana. It's not really a lie. I can tell you from firsthand experience. Edible Marijuana > Smoking Marijuana. It's a lot more psychoactive. I don't know about the "becoming psychosis" from it though. It's certainly not for everybody. But you certainly DO have episodes. 

It honestly comes down to the strain. Which, again, is another good reason as to why it should be legalized that way consumers can actually determine which high they prefer. Which high they don't prefer. Etc. There's a lot of bunk and booty [BLEEP] being sold on the market that has god knows what in it. 

Synthetic [BLEEP] is not good for you. Some dealers may have bud that's been heavily dowsed in chemicals which hurts the strain and contents of what you're actually putting into your body. You could also be oversold a product. "This cartridge of oil contains 83.9% THC", etc. A lot of it's false. Your average medically cleared and graded dispensary is lucky to sell you anything with 20 - 30% THC content.

We'll see what happens though. I understand everyone's concerns. It's certainly not for everybody. But it's no worse than a cigarette, cigar, crack pipe and a few beers. I can find far worse "controlled" substances that are by and large completely legal and numerous studies have shown the adverse effects and long term effects of engaging in them.
(11-22-2019, 01:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2019, 01:20 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Keep believing the lies the government feeds ya

There's cases of strong psychedelic experiences from ingesting marijuana. It's not really a lie. I can tell you from firsthand experience. Edible Marijuana > Smoking Marijuana. It's a lot more psychoactive. I don't know about the "becoming psychosis" from it though. It's certainly not for everybody. But you certainly DO have episodes. 

It honestly comes down to the strain. Which, again, is another good reason as to why it should be legalized that way consumers can actually determine which high they prefer. Which high they don't prefer. Etc. There's a lot of bunk and booty [BLEEP] being sold on the market that has god knows what in it. 

Synthetic [BLEEP] is not good for you. Some dealers may have bud that's been heavily dowsed in chemicals which hurts the strain and contents of what you're actually putting into your body. You could also be oversold a product. "This cartridge of oil contains 83.9% THC", etc. A lot of it's false. Your average medically cleared and graded dispensary is lucky to sell you anything with 20 - 30% THC content.

We'll see what happens though. I understand everyone's concerns. It's certainly not for everybody. But it's no worse than a cigarette, cigar, crack pipe and a few beers. I can find far worse "controlled" substances that are by and large completely legal and numerous studies have shown the adverse effects and long term effects of engaging in them.

I've taken 4 tabs of high grade LSD and not hallucinated. You just feel euphoric and colors are brighter and experiences are better.

Weed will never cause hallucinations. And edibles are not stronger. In fact, going through your metabolism weakens the effects.
(11-22-2019, 11:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2019, 02:29 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]lol

okay

I recall seeing studies like that, and as I recall they just found a correlation.  It was not a controlled experiment.
It may be that people with brains prone to psychosis are also the type of people that seek out marijuana and really enjoy it.
I inhaled pot vapor for an hour at a bar in Amsterdam.  Felt euphoric and confused for about 2 hours after.  And I had gummies in Vegas, that was a very different experience, probably a much lower dose.  The high was very subtle.  I wouldn't go out of my way to do either again. But some of the people I was with couldn't wait to do it again, and try more next time.
Like with alcohol, my personality is more to stay at about 1 or 2 drinks per hour and not stay at a bar or house party longer than about 4 hours. It stops being enjoyable if I go longer, but I always find myself with people who want to overdo it.
I do think that alcohol is also correlated to any number of bad social and health outcomes. I am for legalization of pot just like alcohol. Only for 21 and up. And strict labelling for potency, and inspection.
It's always funny to me talking to non-drug users about drugs... and the non-drug users all act like they know more than the user. Hilarious. And they cite moronic psuedo-scientific studies (and by the way, they are the first to refute that same psuedo-science regarding climate change) that prove nothing except a confirmation bias.
(11-22-2019, 02:45 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]It's always funny to me talking to non-drug users about drugs... and the non-drug users all act like they know more than the user. Hilarious. And they cite moronic psuedo-scientific studies (and by the way, they are the first to refute that same psuedo-science regarding climate change) that prove nothing except a confirmation bias.

I don't care what they do with it, but the same argument could be said about drug-users.

I do think long-term marijuana use is more likely to lower motivation and focus, but I don't care what people do to themselves, and I admit that not everyone falls victim to it.
(11-22-2019, 02:45 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]It's always funny to me talking to non-drug users about drugs... and the non-drug users all act like they know more than the user. Hilarious. And they cite moronic psuedo-scientific studies (and by the way, they are the first to refute that same psuedo-science regarding climate change) that prove nothing except a confirmation bias.

Lol, I've been a user since 1988. Just because you are wrong doesn't mean you're special.
(11-22-2019, 02:14 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2019, 01:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]There's cases of strong psychedelic experiences from ingesting marijuana. It's not really a lie. I can tell you from firsthand experience. Edible Marijuana > Smoking Marijuana. It's a lot more psychoactive. I don't know about the "becoming psychosis" from it though. It's certainly not for everybody. But you certainly DO have episodes. 

I've taken 4 tabs of high grade LSD and not hallucinated. You just feel euphoric and colors are brighter and experiences are better.

Weed will never cause hallucinations. And edibles are not stronger. In fact, going through your metabolism weakens the effects.

Depends on the microgram count per tab of LSD you take though. I took 250 MCG's on my first trip, had 20 milligrams of edible marijuana an hour before and smoked DMT on top of it and lost my [BLEEP] mind at a Disco Biscuits set for 15 minutes straight. That experience had me questioning whether or not I was alive still or if it was a trick of my brain walking me through the process of death on the way to work a week later. 

I have had other experiences with LSD where I did feel euphoric and saw geometrical patterns with my eyes closed. Almost like a purple grid of honey comb like patterns at night at the beach once among the night sky. Almost like a dome. Certainly fun. I have had some others not so fun. Live and learn. But it's all different and up to the individual. 

As far as edibles? The single greatest high and experience I ever enjoyed came at the cost of medical dispensary grade brownies, gummy's and juice that totaled out to exactly 175 milligrams. I was so [BLEEP] high that day that on the next day I woke up I was still higher than [BLEEP]. 

It's all about potency and dosage. And not everyone's brain is hardwired the same way while sober or high. Each experience is different. But to each their own.
Can we go through this all again? I'm ripped.

Where are the Doritos?
Pages: 1 2 3