Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Pepe the Frog meme branded a 'hate symbol'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is getting ridiculous. I didn't even know who or what Pepe the Frog was until I clicked on the story. Now yet another inanimate object, which has no opinion, thought or position on anything, is being considered 'hateful' because it is being used by folks for whatever their cause is. It is now considered a hate symbol by the Anti-Defamation League alongside the swastika and the KKK's "Blood Drop Cross". 

Story

The anti-bigotry group said "racists and haters" had "taken a popular internet meme and twisted it".

Pepe has recently been depicted as Adolf Hitler and a member of the white supremacist KKK.

Pepe made his debut in 2005 in artist Matt Furie's "Boy's Club" cartoons. Since then, pictures of the creature have spread through the online communities 4chan, 8chan, and Reddit, where users can post an image for others to comment on.

These are mostly used to express emotions or experiences, but some racist and anti-Semitic versions have spread virally on Facebook and Twitter.

There are two Trump depictions that were used and shown in the article. 

[Image: Kcj7opncq.png]

Some people just need something to [BLEEP] about.  It must make them feel better or something.

I don't get it.

Quote:I don't get it.

GET YOUR HATE OFF MY MESSAGE BOARD

Quote:GET YOUR HATE OFF MY MESSAGE BOARD

You're being racist.  Only black and red is represented.
Invented "reality"

Imaginationland

The only place where radical liberal policy "works"

Quote:GET YOUR HATE OFF MY MESSAGE BOARD

I went from Haight to Hate.  To be honest, I kind of like that little frog.

[Image: 200.gif]
Quote:I don't get it.
This made me laugh so hard I farted. Thanks man. Lol.
BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

omg internet r u 4 reelz?

[Image: 1bfsc4.jpg]

I  think a reddit post summed it up best

Quote: 

Think of 4chan like a gigantic decentralized modern art museum, that has very few rules about what makes good 'art'. In fact, people are even free to duplicate other peoples' artwork and mutate it into something else entirely, resulting in the continuous evolution of innovative content. Pepe is a common leitmotif that runs throughout the ouevre of many 4chan 'artists', and is constantly reused. And yet, most of these Pepe pieces are completely tame. However, since the rules are very lax at this museum, some pieces of art do indeed shock the average observer. Including some that feature the Pepe motif. But that's art for you. What the mainstream media and now HRC's campaign have done is point to this small minority of shocking pieces and declared the entire museum, all the artists featured there, and all of its visitors and patrons as racists on the basis of only the shock art.
Pepe? Man, I guess the French are mad. That's their guy, Pierre
original content rare pepe

[Image: 8Z2fuvp.jpg]

You kids and your weird cartoon crap. What happen to Kermit?
Quote:Some people just need something to [BAD WORD REMOVED] about. It must make them feel better or something.

Some people are happiest when complaining. Keeps their mind of their own miserable existence. There is some scientific sociological expression for it - escapes me at the moment. Something something sympathy or whatever.

Ps - yes I get the irony of somebody here complaining that somebody else somewhere is complaining. Like we all have complaints and only certain limited places to post them.
Quote:You kids and your weird cartoon crap. What happen to Kermit?

This ain't none of his business.
Quote:You kids and your weird cartoon crap. What happen to Kermit?

He called someone Miss Piggy and was ousted from the industry.  Rachel Maddow & Chris Matthews carried the story on MSNBC for a week.
Quote:[Image: Kcj7opncq.png]

Well, I'm triggered.

Am I having deja vue, or did we have this conversation a few weeks ago?
Quote:original content rare pepe

[Image: 8Z2fuvp.jpg]

Jags fans matter.
Pages: 1 2