Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Nick Foles will probably be here in 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Jags have backed themselves into a corner.  If the organization flat out cuts him they eat $34 million in dead cap room.  If they trade him the figure I read was something like $19 million.  Minshew is currently on a 4 game audition to find out if he is the franchise guy.  If a new regime comes in and likes Foles skill set, there could be a future for Foles.   Despite his crappy play he has proved what he can do with a strong supporting cast. It maybe cheaper just to keep Foles around one more year regardless of his Depth on the Depth Chart.

The one out I could see is if the team packages Foles with a draft pick in a trade.  It is like selling a draft pick for a team to take on the salary.
I have no doubt he'll be back. The way his contract is structured, it's all but a certainty.
We would have to give away one of our first rd picks for someone to take him off our hands.
(12-05-2019, 12:02 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]We would have to give away one of our first rd picks for someone to take him off our hands.

Probably a good idea. Most of the Jaguars first rounders turn out to be busts anyways.
He was always going to be here. He's just not really going to play much.
What if he retired?
(12-05-2019, 12:23 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: [ -> ]What if he retired?

We probably would still have to eat the cap hit next year like we had to with Telvin this year.
(12-05-2019, 12:51 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]

We probably would still have to eat the cap hit next year like we had to with Telvin this year.

I don’t think we would and I don’t think we did.
You just never know and I wouldn't assume anything. This team brings in a new coach, gm or both, they could want their own QB from the draft.. Nothing is set in stone..
I mean... we've all known about his contract since he signed, right? We can't just be rid of him. We know this.

He has a two year out like many contracts do and they'll either keep him around or cut him in the offseason with a June 1st designation. Either way they are eating his dead cap. Nothing is likely to happen until front office decisions are made by ownership.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of a new staff wanting Foles in the camp next year legitimately competing for the starting job. Many seem to be writing that off as improbable, but I think it's a real possibility depending on the next staff.
(12-05-2019, 09:12 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]You just never know and I wouldn't assume anything. This team brings in a new coach, gm or both, they could want their own QB from the draft.. Nothing is set in stone..

True. Was thinking that the other day. Depending on the coach they may just end up wanting Burrow or Tua in RD1 and they take their chances by moving up if possible or lucking out with Tua falling due to his injuries. 

At any rate. I would imagine they try and trade Minshew off to a team for a high 2nd RD pick. Eat Foles contract as a back-up, etc. 

Like you said. You just never know.
(12-04-2019, 11:41 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags have backed themselves into a corner.  If the organization flat out cuts him they eat $34 million in dead cap room.  If they trade him the figure I read was something like $19 million.  Minshew is currently on a 4 game audition to find out if he is the franchise guy.  If a new regime comes in and likes Foles skill set, there could be a future for Foles.   Despite his crappy play he has proved what he can do with a strong supporting cast. It maybe cheaper just to keep Foles around one more year regardless of his Depth on the Depth Chart.

The one out I could see is if the team packages Foles with a draft pick in a trade.  It is like selling a draft pick for a team to take on the salary.

Haven't we already been saying this in other threads for a while now?

I think the only way he isn't on the roster next year is if he opts to retire. I don't see that happening, either.
(12-05-2019, 09:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 09:12 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]You just never know and I wouldn't assume anything. This team brings in a new coach, gm or both, they could want their own QB from the draft.. Nothing is set in stone..

True. Was thinking that the other day. Depending on the coach they may just end up wanting Burrow or Tua in RD1 and they take their chances by moving up if possible or lucking out with Tua falling due to his injuries. 

At any rate. I would imagine they try and trade Minshew off to a team for a high 2nd RD pick. Eat Foles contract as a back-up, etc. 

Yup. Anything can happen with a front office or coaching sweep, we may like the moves, we may hate them. As far as Foles contract goes, I don't think that makes him safe either. Teams suck it up and eat contracts all the time.. I will say one thing though, Foles isn't a locker room cancer. Complete polar opposite, which would make it easier to actually let him ride out another year or so.. Because if he did play like trash and have a bad attitude on top of it, I think the trigger is pulled a little quicker..

he wouldn't be on the roster, but the cap is impacted just like a release. you can have pre/post-June1 designations, and any amortized bonus accelerates to the next year's cap. Teams can pursue reimbursement of prorated bonus to cancel the cap hit.

We would still retain his rights until the accrued years (on-field) elapse, so he couldn't pull any funny business like retire this year, sign with the Iggles next year. He would still have to play 3 more seasons to become free agent.
(12-05-2019, 09:29 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 09:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]True. Was thinking that the other day. Depending on the coach they may just end up wanting Burrow or Tua in RD1 and they take their chances by moving up if possible or lucking out with Tua falling due to his injuries. 

Yup. Anything can happen with a front office or coaching sweep, we may like the moves, we may hate them. As far as Foles contract goes, I don't think that makes him safe either. Teams suck it up and eat contracts all the time.. I will say one thing though, Foles isn't a locker room cancer. Complete polar opposite, which would make it easier to actually let him ride out another year or so.. Because if he did play like trash and have a bad attitude on top of it, I think the trigger is pulled a little quicker..

Agreed. Foles is handling it pretty professionally. Even when he was benched in favor of Minshew he was spotted cheering the defense and offense on. Of course, I would be a pretty damn good cheerleader from the bench too if someone was paying me $88M.
(12-05-2019, 09:29 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 09:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]True. Was thinking that the other day. Depending on the coach they may just end up wanting Burrow or Tua in RD1 and they take their chances by moving up if possible or lucking out with Tua falling due to his injuries. 

This, along with Minshew only counting 630K against the cap NEXT year, along with Foles counting almost 22mil isn't exactly CRIPPLING.  Hell, cutting Dareus, Norwell, Lee, AJ Cann, Jake Ryan, and Geoff Swain will save us 43 MILLION. Drop Linder and it adds another 8 million to the savings. We aren't as bad off as it appears right now.
(12-05-2019, 09:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]

he wouldn't be on the roster, but the cap is impacted just like a release. you can have pre/post-June1 designations, and any amortized bonus accelerates to the next year's cap. Teams can pursue reimbursement of prorated bonus to cancel the cap hit.

We would still retain his rights until the accrued years (on-field) elapse, so he couldn't pull any funny business like retire this year, sign with the Iggles next year. He would still have to play 3 more seasons to become free agent.

Exactly right. Similar situations have come up in the past. In particular with Detroit regarding Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson. I think both wanted to come back at some point, play for an actual winner but were barred due to just that.
9 months rest may do Fole's shoulder well. May actually become an asset to this team in 2020.

Maybe we can trade him back to Philly since Wentz sucks. LOL
(12-05-2019, 09:58 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]9 months rest may do Fole's shoulder well.  May actually become an asset to this team in 2020.  

Maybe we can trade him back to Philly since Wentz sucks. LOL

Except Wentz signed his deal and is gonna count 18 mil against the cap next year.  If they cut Wentz (never happen......), they'd eat 62 mil in dead money in 2020. Dare to dream, the impossible dream.
(12-05-2019, 09:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I mean... we've all known about his contract since he signed, right?  We can't just be rid of him. We know this.

He has a two year out like many contracts do and they'll either keep him around or cut him in the offseason with a June 1st designation. Either way they are eating his dead cap.  Nothing is likely to happen until front office decisions are made by ownership.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of a new staff wanting Foles in the camp next year legitimately competing for the starting job.  Many seem to be writing that off as improbable, but I think it's a real possibility depending on the next staff.

I read that there won't be a June 1st designation option next year due to the current CBA expiring after the 2020 season.

Looks like we are stuck with his contract next year unless we can find someone willing to take it off our hands in exchange for some draft picks.