Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What happens to Joshua Dobbs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We traded a fifth-round pick for this guy. Let's say we get a new GM. Will he feel obligated to keep him?   And if Foles does stick around, are we going to keep three QBs on the roster.

I'm going to be steamed if we wind up with another Carlos Hyde situation.
He's a high upside prospect.

He'll be in camp in 2020 as he should be.

Trying to figure out all of these peripheral roster moves is a bit dicey right now since we'll have a new staff and maybe a new F.O. boss coming in, but there's no reason to even consider releasing a high upside QB prospect that costs 700K next year.
He’s under contract I believe. So he’ll be around next year thru training camp at a minimum. Perhaps they try and showcase him in preseason and flip him for a conditional draft pick.
I think he'll be Minshew's back up after we figure out some way to move on from Foles.
If Foles is here... Dobbs should remain as 3rd QB with Foles' injury history. I know not a lot of teams like to roster 3 QBs but to waste a draft pick like we did with Hyde would be silly.

A lot depends on who is in the front office and coach staff I think
He was a fourth round pick by the squealers in 2017 out of Tennessee.
Pretty good college career. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Dobbs
Decent back up if gMII gets hurt and they ddon't want to put nf7 back in
The Jaguars send him to QB college in California where Bortles went to. He comes back in training camp and impresses the coaches and wins the starting job.
(12-05-2019, 12:32 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]We traded a fifth-round pick for this guy. Let's say we get a new GM. Will he feel obligated to keep him?   And if Foles does stick around, are we going to keep three QBs on the roster.

We're already not in a Carlos Hyde situation. Hyde was an old, unhappy running back being sent to the exact opposite of the situation he wanted. He was a terrible trade made out of desperation at a position where we already had at least two players better than him, and his contract was such that he was almost guaranteed to be cut after the season. He was the equivalent of renting a modern Mustang. It seems like a good idea at the time, but you're way overpaying and the second you put the thing in gear, you realize that you're dropping $200 per day on a muscle car that looks like a turd, rides like a turd and performs like the turd it is, and even if you could keep it, it wasn't worth it.

Dobbs is a young, high-upside QB who wouldn't have been traded at all had the Steelers not been amazed at the sight of Mason Rudolph on the board when they picked in the third round. We don't know what we've got, but a fifth-round pick in exchange for a promising young QB when your $88 million man breaks his collarbone and his backup is a total unknown? That's not a waste.
(12-05-2019, 01:35 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 12:32 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]We traded a fifth-round pick for this guy. Let's say we get a new GM. Will he feel obligated to keep him?   And if Foles does stick around, are we going to keep three QBs on the roster.

We're already not in a Carlos Hyde situation. Hyde was an old, unhappy running back being sent to the exact opposite of the situation he wanted. He was a terrible trade made out of desperation at a position where we already had at least two players better than him, and his contract was such that he was almost guaranteed to be cut after the season. He was the equivalent of renting a modern Mustang. It seems like a good idea at the time, but you're way overpaying and the second you put the thing in gear, you realize that you're dropping $200 per day on a muscle car that looks like a turd, rides like a turd and performs like the turd it is, and even if you could keep it, it wasn't worth it.

Dobbs is a young, high-upside QB who wouldn't have been traded at all had the Steelers not been amazed at the sight of Mason Rudolph on the board when they picked in the third round. We don't know what we've got, but a fifth-round pick in exchange for a promising young QB when your $88 million man breaks his collarbone and his backup is a total unknown? That's not a waste.

Oh really?  What happened this year then?  Maybe if they had actually used him it would have been a different story, Houston seems to be pretty happy with him.
(12-05-2019, 02:04 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 01:35 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]We're already not in a Carlos Hyde situation. Hyde was an old, unhappy running back being sent to the exact opposite of the situation he wanted. He was a terrible trade made out of desperation at a position where we already had at least two players better than him, and his contract was such that he was almost guaranteed to be cut after the season. He was the equivalent of renting a modern Mustang. It seems like a good idea at the time, but you're way overpaying and the second you put the thing in gear, you realize that you're dropping $200 per day on a muscle car that looks like a turd, rides like a turd and performs like the turd it is, and even if you could keep it, it wasn't worth it.

Oh really?  What happened this year then?  Maybe if they had actually used him it would have been a different story, Houston seems to be pretty happy with him.

He's playing on team he wants be on, so he's actually playing. He was always a decent back, just has motivation problems when he's unhappy.
(12-05-2019, 02:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 02:04 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]Oh really?  What happened this year then?  Maybe if they had actually used him it would have been a different story, Houston seems to be pretty happy with him.

He's playing on team he wants be on, so he's actually playing. He was always a decent back, just has motivation problems when he's unhappy.

Exactly why the Browns moved him to us.

That's probably what will happen, although given Foles' injury history, it wouldn't surprise me if we did keep 3 QB's on the roster either. Once we draft a QB in 2021, whether it be to start or to backup Minshew, Dobbs will be gone though. He's nothing more than a 3rd string QB in my opinion who has trouble making reads and relies too heavily on his legs to make plays, because he lacks the instincts in the passing game.
There's no reason not to at least take him to camp.

If he likes him, keep him. If not, try to recoup a draft pick.
(12-05-2019, 02:04 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]Oh really?  What happened this year then?  Maybe if they had actually used him it would have been a different story, Houston seems to be pretty happy with him.

This is it exactly. Hyde didn't want to be in Cleveland, and Cleveland was able to sucker Coughlin and/or Caldwell into him. He didn't want to be here, but no one was st00pid enough to trade for Carlos Hyde with that contract, so we gave the Brownies a free fifth-round pick for him.
I’m building around Minshew Mania, and Dobbs is my backup. I’m shipping Foles to Chicago or another team looking for a QB.

Don’t worry, Marrone won’t handle it the right way anyway.

The digits to the left of the comma on any game check seem awful motivating to a schlub like me....

Nick Foles goes down in the 1st quarter of Game 1 and is replaced by a rookie 6th round draft pick.   WHAT EXACTLY WOULD YOU HAVE DONE IN ATTEMPT TO SALVAGE OUR SEASON, NOT KNOWING WHAT TYPE OF PRODUCTION MINSHEW WAS GOING TO PROVIDE?  You could have avoided trading someone by getting someone off the street like Kapernick or something but if you're getting another teams backup, you're going to have to give up a draft pick or a player.
we trade him and nick foles to the bengals and dolphins for 1st or a 2nd.
(12-05-2019, 07:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

That's probably what will happen, although given Foles' injury history, it wouldn't surprise me if we did keep 3 QB's on the roster either. Once we draft a QB in 2021, whether it be to start or to backup Minshew, Dobbs will be gone though. He's nothing more than a 3rd string QB in my opinion who has trouble making reads and relies too heavily on his legs to make plays, because he lacks the instincts in the passing game.

I agree. If he couldnt beat out that steaming pile of crap, Mason Rudolph, for the backup job in PIT then hes not worth much.

(12-06-2019, 12:04 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m building around Minshew Mania, and Dobbs is my backup. I’m shipping Foles to Chicago or another team looking for a QB.

Don’t worry, Marrone won’t handle it the right way anyway.

Literally no team wants Foles with that contract. Zero. We would have to send him to like the dolphins along with a 4th round pick for them to eat the money and cut him.
(12-06-2019, 12:07 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]Literally no team wants Foles with that contract. Zero. We would have to send him to like the dolphins along with a 4th round pick for them to eat the money and cut him.

I'd totally do it.
To the fishes with a 4th for their 7th (they have to trade something back)
(12-06-2019, 10:24 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 02:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]He's playing on team he wants be on, so he's actually playing. He was always a decent back, just has motivation problems when he's unhappy.

The digits to the left of the comma on any game check seem awful motivating to a schlub like me....

So you're saying he didn't get paid for not playing or playing well? Or that other teams were unwilling to sign him after he dogged it in Cleveland and Jax? Doesn't seem to be the case...
Pages: 1 2