Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What happened to Foles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think this has to be answered. He’s a different person now than he’s been at any other point in his career. 

In KC in spot duty he preformed well. We all know about his heroics in Philly, almost leading them to two Super Bowls. Had Foles pulled off such a momentous feat, he’s probably re-signed and anointed starter for the Eagles. 

Then he comes to Duval....

While the expectations were high, it seemed he was initially up for the task. I mean he was absolutely lighting it up in OTA’s and camp. And that wasn’t just a slanted message board member’s point of view. The local beat guys said so, his WR’s made comments about how different he was compared to Blake, the defense said the same. Foles didn’t throw a single pick until late into training camp. 

And then we fast forward to regular season where he marches his team right down the field and throws an absolutely perfect 50 yard spiral to Chark while getting his collar bone snapped in half.....

13 weeks later...

Loss, loss, loss.....Boo birds come out and rightfully so. 

This guy isn’t the same guy who threw that air bomb to Chark. In fact I would be willing to bet right now he couldn’t make that same throw again if he was given 20 tries to do so. Is he still injured? His loss of velocity and decreased accuracy is painfully obvious. Is he just jittery given the fact that he broke his collarbone for a second time? Or does he require more time to set up his throws than the average QB does, and our line isn’t able to deliver? 

What gives? The guy who’s currently wearing a #7 jersey isn’t the same guy who had the entire city excited only a few months ago.
I have no idea what else may be going on with him but I know three things that must have been factors in those three games. 
  • Not healed enough to be confident under fire or have the same throwing motion/velocity
  • O-Line not buying him (or any QB) enough time frequently
  • Flip not dialing up enough quick hit stuff to get the ball out quickly
I have no clue if he'll bounce back or if this is his new normal, but it's woefully not good enough.
He broke his shoulder and they brought him back too soon. EOS.
I think Minshew Magic has been a big factor. He was a hero in Philly but came here, big contract, big signing new QB. The reaction was pretty positive but plenty of cautious optimism and that TD was a thing of beauty. He needed that run to win games and win fans and build a bond in the team.

But in comes Minshew, barely made the roster, and performs miracles. The fans go nuts, Minshew is EVERYWHERE, the team is winning and Foles is watching all this from the sidelines.

Foles gets thrown back in and HAS to win. But hes played minutes with this team in real game action. He hasn't had time to build cohesion and timing but the pressure is at 100%.
I have not seen this mobile foles that some were confident in. I knew we had Oline woes and most knew we were injured last year and assumed we would be in better form this year when healthy. We've mainly had QBs who could scramble and i had zero confidence that Foles was that guy. We always needed a quick hit passing game and i figured that was Flip and Foles specialty but it hasnt worked out. The man was propelled by coaching and the talent he had around him. He's average or below average in areas that cant be fixed at 30 yrs old imo. We were desperate for a QB and weren't patient enough to wait for the right one to come along. We went for the first thing smoking and got burnt in the process. Life goes on unless we don't draft a QB this year and continue this same path of mediocrity and angst.
(12-05-2019, 12:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]He broke his shoulder and they brought him back too soon. EOS.

On top of that, he didn't get any reps during the preseason so he is probably a bit rusty when it comes to live action.
(12-05-2019, 12:59 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: [ -> ]I have not seen this mobile foles that some were confident in.  

Huh

The hell are you talking about? 
Who on Earth ever thought Foles was mobile?
Philadelphia is Philadelphia. Jacksonville is Jacksonville. The coaching aspect and talent aspect is what happened. This team is not built to suit his skills and needs at his position. Said it before and I'll say it again here. It's easy to be a pocket passer when you have athletic lineman with dancer's feet between Peters at LT, Kelce at C & Johnson at RT out in front of you.

You cannot also overlook the fact that Doug Pederson is a much better play caller and has a better grasp of offense in general in comparison to our Doug Marrone.

In fact, Doug Pederson FLAT OUT called out Doug Marrone in his book regarding his approach and attitude with our team in 2017 during that AFCC loss to the Patriots. He told himself after watching us lose that game that he would NOT coach and play his team the way that Marrone did.

That's really what it comes down to. That, and the fact that this front office was left scrambling and scratching it's butt at the position when the extension to Bortles failed to return any value that they had hoped for.

They got desperate. And a whole lot of heads need to roll for it. You can mismanage a few things here and there in this sport. But you CANNOT mismanage the QB position the way this franchise has mismanaged it for over a decade now. It's crippled this team.
(12-05-2019, 01:02 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Philadelphia is Philadelphia. Jacksonville is Jacksonville. 

This about sums it up.

Also... we paid good money for a QB with an average resume highlighted by a good stretch of games and winning a SB.
But he wasn't an elevator of talent in Philly. They were good on both sides of the ball and had a pretty good OL.
We don't have a good OL overall. We don't have an Ertz at TE. We have the QB coach from that year trying to be an OC (I had high hopes but alas, not so great)

I mean it isn't one thing really but to narrow it down, the 6-8 games this front office (and many of us fans) used as a measuring stick wasn't an apples to apples situation.
Fact is... Foles isn't a great QB. Philly was a better situation, from roster to coach staff.

Nothing happened to Foles. He is who he is. Always has been.
Not too many moons ago most of us would have said 4 games is not enough to judge a qb especially when he took 10 or 11 snaps in the first quarter of the first game of the season on a new team and came back midway in the season. And he never played enough to knock the rust off and get comfortable. BUT since minshew stepped in and played well (mostly) none of tjat means anything. Now Foles was supposed to come back from an injury after only playing 10 or 11 plays with a new team and light the world on fire...

Now that being said, I'm not a supporer of Nick, but I'm not a naysayer either... Its a very small sample size to make a final judgment on.Yeah he came back from injury playing like [BLEEP] but still a small sample size
He is a Back Up QB never should be a starter. In Phily he had good coaching and better oline and probowl TE, 3 things we dont.
What happened to him is a phenomenon that exists when free agents come to Jackosnville. They look terrible. Then when they go to another team, they become productive. It's called #becausejaguars. 2 exceptions to this are Calais and Bouye.
(12-05-2019, 01:27 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]Not too many moons ago most of us would have said 4 games is not enough to judge a qb especially when he took 10 or 11 snaps in the first quarter of the first game of the season on a new team and came back midway in the season. And he never played enough to knock the rust off and get comfortable. BUT since minshew stepped in and played well (mostly) none of tjat means anything. Now Foles was supposed to come back from an injury after only playing 10 or 11 plays with a new team and light the world on fire...

Now that being said, I'm not a supporer of Nick, but I'm not a naysayer either... Its a very small sample size to make a final judgment on.Yeah he came back from injury playing like [BLEEP] but still a small sample size

I tend to agree and believe this is one of the primary reasons why he’ll be back next season - besides the contract implications. They should’ve just kept him on IR for the rest of the season and kept Minshew in. What QB in the league has come back from a broken collar bone mid season and preformed well? You could have used this full season as an evaluation/showcase of Minshew and went into the offseason with a full on camp battle and the potential to trade the loser of the battle to a desperate team for a high value draft pick. 

But #becausejags we rush Foles back, he stinks it up in limited action, and tanks what perceived value he had. Not to mention we disrupt Minshew’ development with the back and forth.
(12-05-2019, 12:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]He broke his shoulder and they brought him back too soon. EOS.

+1

Coughlin and/or Marrone felt the pressure and decided to rush Foles back after Minshew had one bad game. He's still hurt.

Also, the OL sucks.
Ask Wolfie. He knows that Foles was never good to begin with. His words.
- His wife suffered miscarriage 5 months ago.
- He suffers broken collarbone in and came back way too soon. Should have stay out the whole season.
- Maybe he was afraid to lose his job with the Minshew thing. He was forcing a lot of throws and you can say that his arm is not as strong as it was in Philly.

Just a whole bad year for him. Maybe with a new coaching staff and a better OL/weapons, he could come back as a starter for us.
(12-05-2019, 01:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 12:59 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: [ -> ]I have not seen this mobile foles that some were confident in.  

Huh

The hell are you talking about? 
Who on Earth ever thought Foles was mobile?

I'm speaking to all that thought he was a good QB candidate for this team.  We have Oline issues and BB used his legs to escape most of the time.  We replace him with a semi mobile QB with better accuracy, which i hope was the reason to sign Foles, and it fails.  If that isnt the reason why some felt he was a good replacement then idk wth is going on with fans and the FO.

EDIT: IF im wrong, which your reply indicates that, then what was the reason to sign Foles? Was it for his pocket passing ability, his decision making with reading Defenses? Tell me something as to why some clowns thought this would work here.
(12-05-2019, 01:36 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to him is a phenomenon that exists when free agents come to Jackosnville.   They look terrible. Then when they go to another team, they become productive.   It's called #becausejaguars.    2 exceptions to this are Calais and Bouye.

Malik Jackson played fairly well when he came over. As did Gipson when they let him play his natural center fielder role.
(12-05-2019, 01:02 PM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]

On top of that, he didn't get any reps during the preseason so he is probably a bit rusty when it comes to live action.

He did get action in the 3rd game vs the Dolphins, plus he had plenty of training camp reps. That said, it looks like he barely had a chance to practice with guys before being thrown back out there. If he had, the team would have noticed the issues regarding his lack of confidence in the clavicle and lack of arm strength in his throwing arm before having to witness as much in a real game. He clearly needed more time to get his arm ready so somebody screwed the pooch there. In other words, they started him ASAP without having any real clue if he was ready to throw.
(12-05-2019, 03:32 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 01:02 PM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]On top of that, he didn't get any reps during the preseason so he is probably a bit rusty when it comes to live action.

He did get action in the 3rd game vs the Dolphins, plus he had plenty of training camp reps. That said, it looks like he barely had a chance to practice with guys before being thrown back out there. If he had, the team would have noticed the issues regarding his lack of confidence in the clavicle and lack of arm strength in his throwing arm before having to witness as much in a real game. He clearly needed more time to get his arm ready so somebody screwed the pooch there. In other words, they started him ASAP without having any real clue if he was ready to throw.

They said he was cleared to play 2 weeks before he was allowed to return from his IR designation. They had weeks to watch him in practice and decided he was the "best chance to win".
Pages: 1 2 3