Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: free agency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was curious if there were notable free agents anyone would want to chase?

I admittedly don’t know too much about the cap situation except that there are several restructures that can happen.

My free agent signing would have to be Byron Jones from Dallas. There is no way that Dallas resigns him. They will have to sign Cooper and Prescott this offseason and everything says he will walk.

He is a tremendous athlete and has played safety and corner in several systems in Dallas over the years.

I think he would be a phenomenal free agent signing if they could pull it off.

I would address the offensive line through the draft
The Jags are going to be carrying a ton of dead money next season thanks to the new GM having to cut the Jaguars desperation signing and ridiculously unjustified contact of Foles. Probably won't be participating much in free agency, just jettisoning bad contracts and getting ready to draft Lawrence.
LB : 

- Joe Schobert (Browns)
- Blake Martinez (Packers)
- Cory Littleton (Rams)

DT :

- Vernon Butler (Panthers)
- Jordan Phillips (Bills)
- Danny Shelton (Patriots)
- Andrew Billings (Browns)
- Javon Hargrave (Steelers)

OLine :

- D.J. Humphries (Bucs)
- Brandon Scherff (Redskins)
- Andrus Peat (Saints)
Could use a good LB for sure. I think with our projected position in the draft we could get a good DT and OL in the first round.
The only "must have" free agent on my list is DT/NT Jordan Phillips of the Bills. He can play either interior d-line position. He's 6'6" 341 lbs. he has 7.5 sacks and he's excellent against the run. I go all in on him and if Derrick brown is still on the board when we pick, great. Brown plays NT and Phillips plays 3 technique. If Brown is gone, Phillips plays NT. We gotta fix the run defense.
(12-09-2019, 08:33 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags are going to be carrying a ton of dead money next season thanks to the new GM having to cut the Jaguars desperation signing and ridiculously unjustified contact of Foles. Probably won't be participating much in free agency, just jettisoning bad contracts and getting ready to draft Lawrence.

Foles is not gonna get cut. He'd cost us over $30 million in dead money. He's gonna be here at least until 2021. He may be on the bench, but he's going nowhere.
I wonder if the Jets would trade CJ Mosley
(12-09-2019, 10:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if the Jets would trade CJ Mosley
HAHAHAHA

So you want an overpaid slow MLB who can't cover? Brilliant.
(12-09-2019, 09:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 08:33 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags are going to be carrying a ton of dead money next season thanks to the new GM having to cut the Jaguars desperation signing and ridiculously unjustified contact of Foles. Probably won't be participating much in free agency, just jettisoning bad contracts and getting ready to draft Lawrence.

Foles is not gonna get cut. He'd cost us over $30 million in dead money. He's gonna be here at least until 2021. He may be on the bench, but he's going nowhere.

If Caldwell and Marrone are back you may be right. If they're gone I expect another teardown and an uncompetitive season by design next year. There won't be any reason not to jettison Foles. They're going to save $35 million just by cutting Campbell and Dareus. They'll also probably cut Bouye and Lee for another $20+ million in cap savings.

They might be able to sign Ngakoue but probably not much more than that. It's going to be a rough season in 2020. The team painted itself into a corner with that moronic Foles contract.
(12-09-2019, 10:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 10:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if the Jets would trade CJ Mosley
HAHAHAHA

Lol, typical Cleatwood post. There is a reason why he is a 4 time All Pro in 5 years and was the Butkus Award winner. Hint, it's not because hes slow and cant cover. Any good player you get will be overpaid
Even the state tax situation, the beaches, and the weather won't offset the [BLEEP]-show and poor endorsement opportunities.
It can't get any worse, right?
Just watch and see.
(12-09-2019, 10:25 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 10:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]HAHAHAHA

Lol, typical Cleatwood post.  There is a reason why he is a 4 time All Pro in 5 years and was the Butkus Award winner.  Hint, it's not because hes slow and cant cover.  Any good player you get will be overpaid
Yea..... He's so great that the Ravens let him go. How's he working out in NY?

Typical FLgators post. Just looks at the name with no real context of how good a player actually is........

He looked good because he was on the Ravens. Talk to actual Ravens fans and they'll fill you in.
The only free agency we'll be participating in (outside of hopefully signing Yan) will be cheap veteran fill in stop gaps post draft.

If we get NT, CB, and 2 OL in the first 3 rounds, look for us to fill in any remaining needs (LB, S, WR, TE) with cheap guys past their prime or coming off injuries on prove-it deals.

It may not be likely but I dont think it's impossible.  It may be $30M+ in dead money but he is guaranteed $22M next year.  So that is essentially a sunk cost.  It's whether they want to be hit with an additional $10M to let him go.  If they end up liking a guy early in next year's draft and they end up with some extra cap space cleared up from other savings (not bringing back Dareus), I can foresee a scenario where they let Foles go.

And then there is the open ended question of whether they'll be able to move that extra $10M in cap hit they'd incur on to the 2021 cap instead of next years if they were to release him after June 1st.  If they can do that, I can definitely see a scenario where he is gone.
Steer clear of FA this year. Very very very clear.
(12-09-2019, 10:23 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 09:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Foles is not gonna get cut. He'd cost us over $30 million in dead money. He's gonna be here at least until 2021. He may be on the bench, but he's going nowhere.

If Caldwell and Marrone are back you may be right. If they're gone I expect another teardown and an uncompetitive season by design next year. There won't be any reason not to jettison Foles. They're going to save $35 million just by cutting Campbell and Dareus. They'll also probably cut Bouye and Lee for another $20+ million in cap savings.

They might be able to sign Ngakoue but probably not much more than that. It's going to be a rough season in 2020. The team painted itself into a corner with that moronic Foles contract.

I have to wonder if Ngakoue will sign with us.  I think drafted players are the only ones we will be able to Shanghai for service in the next few years.  I think we are an 8-8 team for some time.  It is amazing how we aren't even close to being able to maintain development and momentum.
I wouldn’t mind Martinez from Green Bay. A decent linebacker would be the best combination of productivity and price compared to the other positions. A good CB or DL are going to cost a whole lot more

Nick Foles is going to retire in the offseason and you can book it. He doesn’t love the game anymore, and it’s evident. He’s a very Christ devoted guy.. he’s not going to continue to take money from us to stink it up. He will retire this offseason.

Nick Foles is going to retire in the offseason and you can book it. He doesn’t love the game anymore, and it’s evident. He’s a very Christ devoted guy.. he’s not going to continue to take money from us to stink it up. He will retire this offseason.
(12-09-2019, 07:36 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 09:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Foles is not gonna get cut. He'd cost us over $30 million in dead money. He's gonna be here at least until 2021. He may be on the bench, but he's going nowhere.

I've been thinking about that a bit myself. I don't know if it is about the "not going to continue to take money from us to stink it up" part but more of the a already been contemplating retirement and since his time is up here, ride off into the sunset. I was against the signing from the start unless it was a very team friendly deal. I do think he could still play in the NFL but he needs to play somewhere established with a good Oline.
(12-09-2019, 03:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 10:25 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, typical Cleatwood post.  There is a reason why he is a 4 time All Pro in 5 years and was the Butkus Award winner.  Hint, it's not because hes slow and cant cover.  Any good player you get will be overpaid
Yea..... He's so great that the Ravens let him go. How's he working out in NY?

Typical FLgators post. Just looks at the name with no real context of how good a player actually is........

He looked good because he was on the Ravens. Talk to actual Ravens fans and they'll fill you in.
I guess Calais Campbell is garbage since Ari let him go. What kind of context do you have have?  He is one of the better LBs side line to side line in the league and good in coverage.  He a good all around LB.  The league dont just give out All Pro selections and Only one player in college gets the Butkus Award.  Mosley has been good at every level and in the 1 game he played with the Jets he had a pick 6.  Yeah man, the Alabama Butkus Award winner and 4 time All Pro in 5 years is garbage lol. It dont really matter because the Jets wont let him go
Pages: 1 2