Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Space Force
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Promises made, promises kept. Space Force becomes 6th military branch. 

If you say you aren't looking forward to the recruiting commercials,  you are lying.

Oh, and he also got rid of the widow tax.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-...hat-means/
I have no idea what to think of this. Space Force just sounds..... cartoonish. From reading the article I get where they're coming from but I don't think it's necessary to have another branch of the military. Our defense budget is already astronomical, no pun intended, and if you fold this into the AF and call it a military branch it's going to compound it.
(12-22-2019, 09:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what to think of this. Space Force just sounds..... cartoonish. From reading the article I get where they're coming from but I don't think it's necessary to have another branch of the military. Our defense budget is already astronomical, no pun intended, and if you fold this into the AF and call it a military branch it's going to compound it.

China has been working on space denial tech for almost 20 years. We either get ready to fight in outer space or we lose control of the backbone of our society.
(12-22-2019, 10:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2019, 09:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what to think of this. Space Force just sounds..... cartoonish. From reading the article I get where they're coming from but I don't think it's necessary to have another branch of the military. Our defense budget is already astronomical, no pun intended, and if you fold this into the AF and call it a military branch it's going to compound it.

China has been working on space denial tech for almost 20 years. We either get ready to fight in outer space or we lose control of the backbone of our society.

See, I don't know these things. If that's the case then it makes sense. Good thing I don't make decisions for our nation!
(12-22-2019, 11:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2019, 10:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]China has been working on space denial tech for almost 20 years. We either get ready to fight in outer space or we lose control of the backbone of our society.

See, I don't know these things. If that's the case then it makes sense. Good thing I don't make decisions for our nation!

I wish I could find it, but I read an article about a week ago that framed the Chinese efforts to control space. They are developing, and stealing, technology at a fast pace to build ground based and space based anti-satellite weapons. If left unchecked, it was conjectured that they would have to ability to absolutely control space within the near future.
(12-23-2019, 12:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2019, 11:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]See, I don't know these things. If that's the case then it makes sense. Good thing I don't make decisions for our nation!

I wish I could find it, but I read an article about a week ago that framed the Chinese efforts to control space. They are developing, and stealing, technology at a fast pace to build ground based and space based anti-satellite weapons. If left unchecked, it was conjectured that they would have to ability to absolutely control space within the near future.
They will build a Death Star and we will inevitably be screwed.
The shuttle program shut down and NASA essentially became a ghost town on Obama's watch in 2011 and Trump has righted yet another wrong and has given kids a reason to dream again.

The work of a true Russian asset.
(12-23-2019, 09:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]The shuttle program shut down and NASA essentially became a ghost town  on Obama's watch in 2011 and Trump has righted yet another wrong and has given kids a reason to dream again.

Discontinuing the shuttle program was a Bush decision. NASA and the U.S. government screwed the pooch on preparing properly for such a decision by not spearheading a replacement human-certified launch vehicle long before the last shuttle launch. 
I suspect it was an effort to help keep the Russian space program funded so that their low paid scientists, engineers and technicians don’t sell critical information to the really bad guys. This is not unprecedented. The U.S. poured billions into Russian space, nuclear and technology programs after the fall of the Soviet Union for that very purpose.

The Russians see the writing on the wall. Both the U.S. and them have been relying on 60-year-old Soyuz technology for too long. When the SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule docked with the ISS and their cosmonaut was able to get a close look, the Russians became very alarmed. The yawning technology gap between ours and theirs is immense. Coupled with rampant corruption and a doddering economy, their space program is about to become completely outdated and a worrisome source of research and technology sell offs to China, Iran, and North Korea. Our advancement comes at a cost.
(12-23-2019, 10:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2019, 09:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]The shuttle program shut down and NASA essentially became a ghost town  on Obama's watch in 2011 and Trump has righted yet another wrong and has given kids a reason to dream again.

Discontinuing the shuttle program was a Bush decision. NASA and the U.S. government screwed the pooch on preparing properly for such a decision by not spearheading a replacement human-certified launch vehicle long before the last shuttle launch. 
I suspect it was an effort to help keep the Russian space program funded so that their low paid scientists, engineers and technicians don’t sell critical information to the really bad guys. This is not unprecedented. The U.S. poured billions into Russian space, nuclear and technology programs after the fall of the Soviet Union for that very purpose.

The Russians see the writing on the wall. Both the U.S. and them have been relying on 60-year-old Soyuz technology for too long. When the SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule docked with the ISS and their cosmonaut was able to get a close look, the Russians became very alarmed. The yawning technology gap between ours and theirs is immense. Coupled with rampant corruption and a doddering economy, their space program is about to become completely outdated and a worrisome source of research and technology sell offs to China, Iran, and North Korea. Our advancement comes at a cost.

Yep. We have reason to believe that North Korea's most powerful rockets were mainly made from Soviet designed components that they purchased from corrupt Ukrainians. 
The good news is that the Ukrainians are not making more of this type of rocket engine, and it's unlikely that the North Koreans would be able to build a working copy.
(12-23-2019, 12:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2019, 11:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]See, I don't know these things. If that's the case then it makes sense. Good thing I don't make decisions for our nation!

That would definitely be bad news.
Galaxy Quest
Space Marines was the only correct choice.
(12-23-2019, 09:35 PM)Last42min Wrote: [ -> ]Space Marines was the only correct choice.

Space Navy. 

After all, don't they call them "space ships"?
(12-23-2019, 09:35 PM)Last42min Wrote: [ -> ]Space Marines was the only correct choice.

I would have called it Star fleet and tweeted #sueme every day.
Now they need to design an X-Wing.
[Image: mark-kelly-quote.jpg]
(12-25-2019, 02:30 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ][Image: mark-kelly-quote.jpg]

The navy has pilots so let's shutter the air force
[Image: 43616366_1529377770.9048_EdUSE9_n.jpg]
(12-22-2019, 09:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what to think of this. Space Force just sounds..... cartoonish.

It's meant to be cartoonish.  While we're busy laughing, the Space Force is claiming territory.  They just took over Canaveral without firing a shot.
(12-23-2019, 07:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Galaxy Quest

Never give up! Never Surrender!

(12-25-2019, 02:30 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ][Image: mark-kelly-quote.jpg]

Well... if Mark Kelly says so...