Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Wide Receiver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Chark was far from himself today but he had some critical errors. He stopped running on a crossing route at one point. Minshew threw but he sat. Then the 2 TD drops that hit him in the hands inside the red zone at the end of the game were pretty bad.

That being said, he has been the best receiver this season. Everyone else has shown some flashes but a lot of inconsistencies. It seems like guys can’t get separation sometimes, run the wrong routes or have passes bounce out of their hands. 

Obviously Minshew has made some mistakes as well but he has more often than not thrown very catchable passes and receivers have not come through for him.

Do we think this can be fixed through coaching or does the team need someone else to pair with Chark?
Chark is legit but battling through injury.
Westbrook is legit but battling through injury and being utilized poorly.
(he also is going through a little slump with his hands - happens to most receivers at times)
Conley and Cole are worthy role players  that will linger around 3/4/5 on the depth chart.
All of them are getting adequate separation at the top of their routes fairly consistently with Chark and Westbrook doing so impressively at times.

The primary issue is lack of protection and throws being made early, late, and/or under duress.

I'd draft a receiver, but I'd wait till the 4th or 5th round depending on who falls in a deep class. 
Too many other greater needs like NT, LT, MLB, TE, OG.
We need a deep threat that keeps defensive coordinators awake at night worrying about us blowing the top off the defense. Just look at the Texans/Eagles offensive splits with and without Fuller and Djax, respectively. Look at how the Chiefs still spend a 2nd rounder on Hardman even with Tyreek on the team. If we could get a guy like that, say if Ruggs is still there with the Rams pick, that would be gigantic for our offense. Chark is good, Dede should be a passable slot, but a guy like Ruggs could completely transform the offense.
(12-22-2019, 11:13 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We need a deep threat that keeps defensive coordinators awake at night worrying about us blowing the top off the defense. Just look at the Texans/Eagles offensive splits with and without Fuller and Djax, respectively. Look at how the Chiefs still spend a 2nd rounder on Hardman even with Tyreek on the team. If we could get a guy like that, say if Ruggs is still there with the Rams pick, that would be gigantic for our offense. Chark is good, Dede should be a passable slot, but a guy like Ruggs could completely transform the offense.

No thanks on WR with one of our 1sts unless he is BPA and I dont see that happening. Would much rather Biadasz, Delpit, Simmoms, or Murray with our 2nd 1st
We had a receiver like that...ran him off, he plays in Chicago now. They are happy with him
We need to build the O and D lines first. WR/CB in 2nd/3rd rounds.
We need more talent at WR.
A warm body at TE might help the WRs out a tad.
Compared to other areas of the team, WR is not really a priority. Chark and Dede are a good duo and Conley has shown his value. Cole is underutilized but is talented. When healthy, it's a good group. Biggest issue on offense is the need for a 1st class TE and getting the OL shored up, especially on the interior.
I would just be very tempted if CeeDee Lamb was sitting there.

I agree that I would prefer to fix the offensive line first and foremost though. I feel it’s the most important part of the team going forward to really judge Minshew and to help Fournette
A receiver for a top 10 pick is a waste IMO. Get a big ugly or TE or something that is needed more than a WR.
If a QB is available (I doubt it) take him. If not, OL, DL and/or LB.
(12-23-2019, 03:20 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]A warm body at TE might help the WRs out a tad.

If they can get Oliver healthy and functional and find him a proper "Y" counterpart, next year's OC will definitely be able to lessen the load on Chark/Dede/Conley. 

(sidenote - I think they should keep Seth DeValve around for 2020.  Solid depth at Y. Good hands, good blocking, just slow wheels) 

Spending early draft picks on a receiver in 2020 just feels a bit too "cart before the horse" for me personally. 
Our receivers are currently functional while we are completely dysfunctional at OL and TE, and we have an undetermined course at QB. I'm eyeballing receivers currently projected for day two and three and hoping a good one falls to us. 

I'd like to see the team land a "big-slot" receiver and start using Dede more at the Z on more intermediate and deep routes. I feel he's being wasted taking punishment over the middle. (again, TE will mitigate that)
Denzel Mims is one guy I've zeroed in on that fits the bill even if he's a bit of a project. There are a number of 6'2" or better/200+ WRs sitting in that window of late day 2 or day 3 projection.
This TE class is not going to help fix our problem, it's the worst class in years and years. If we want safe impact we have to go get Hooper or Henry in FA, otherwise just hope and pray Oliver develops.

I also don't think we will, or necessarily should, go WR with an early pick...I just think Ruggs is going to be special and would very likely be BAP in the late teens. This is perhaps the best WR class ever and I think he's the one that would fit our WR corps like a glove.
Someone above called Westbrook legit. Good Lord, talk about teal colored glasses.

If by some miracle Jeudy is there, you grab him.
(12-23-2019, 09:20 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]This TE class is not going to help fix our problem, it's the worst class in years and years. If we want safe impact we have to go get Hooper or Henry in FA, otherwise just hope and pray Oliver develops.

I also don't think we will, or necessarily should, go WR with an early pick...I just think Ruggs is going to be special and would very likely be BAP in the late teens. This is perhaps the best WR class ever and I think he's the one that would fit our WR corps like a glove.

Chark didn't have a great day but he's had great days. There isn't much else on the field that defenses have to worry about so Chark gets most of the attention. And Westbrook didn't have hands problems until this season... so perhaps he can break out of that funk. Honestly we were singing these guys' praises earlier this year... I think a lot of it is end of the season crap where guys are tired, worn down, playing through some injury stuff.

James O was really developing into a solid TE2 imo. IF Oliver can be healthy and effective, I'd be OK with our TEs for now. Although, late in this draft we could probably snag a more traditional 'blocking' type TE.

I think what we need at WR is deep threat speed. I think we could make a play for Anderson in FA (cost depending) and save our draft picks. But I could see us using a 2nd or 3rd on WR if it lines up right. 

A lot of people want a lot of OL picks... but I could see just 1 being made honestly. Norwell likely stays, he hasn't been as bad as people think and his contract is substantial. I could see us drafting a C and moving Linder to RG and keeping both tackles where they are, or perhaps drafting a LT if one slides to a good spot and moving Robinson inside and keeping Linder at C, who hasn't been great but also isn't bad.
It's fortunate we have rookie deals at both tackles, or we'd have a lot of money tied up in a not so good OL. Here's hoping Taylor develops.
(12-23-2019, 10:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Someone above called Westbrook legit. Good Lord, talk about teal colored glasses.

If by some miracle Jeudy is there, you grab him.

Westbrook is a good #2 receiver at the Z position. 

He's playing hurt and being utilized poorly.  I'm looking beyond his current injury, implementation, and a few dropped passes  -  but I'm analyzing his overall body of work objectively and I have read similar takes from national pundits who don't regularly report on the Jaguars. It's not an uncommon or teal-shaded opinion.

I already pointed out to you in another thread how he gets separation on par with the best receivers in the league after you ignorantly claimed otherwise.
(12-23-2019, 10:16 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of people want a lot of OL picks... but I could see just 1 being made honestly. Norwell likely stays, he hasn't been as bad as people think and his contract is substantial. I could see us drafting a C and moving Linder to RG and keeping both tackles where they are, or perhaps drafting a LT if one slides to a good spot and moving Robinson inside and keeping Linder at C, who hasn't been great but also isn't bad.
It's fortunate we have rookie deals at both tackles, or we'd have a lot of money tied up in a not so good OL. Here's hoping Taylor develops.

We save $5.5M on the cap by releasing Norwell.  But then we have to use some of that savings to find his replacement.  And do we find anyone better for $5.5M?  Probably not.  He just have to gameplan around his occasional whiff!

We desperately need a better LT.
I think I'm inclined to agree with some other posters that the TE position is probably a bigger - considerably bigger - need right now. I'm not getting my hopes up on Oliver pulling a Chark and becoming a great receiving TE next year.

I won't say WRs are a dime a dozen, because obviously that's not true. I would not be opposed to taking one if there were no better players to fill up a hole. But a lot is going to depend on how the new coaching staff (hopefully there WILL be a new coaching staff) handles that, whether they shift guys around or want whole news guys in general. But there's also the defensive side of things to consider.

It sucks because once again this team needs playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and once again they also have glaring needs on the OL and the DL and elsewhere that really need attention too.
(12-23-2019, 08:32 AM)PS9 Wrote: [ -> ]I would just be very tempted if CeeDee Lamb was sitting there.

I agree that I would prefer to fix the offensive line first and foremost though. I feel it’s the most important part of the team going forward to really judge Minshew and to help Fournette

If he is sitting there at our 2nd first round pick my card would be in with his name on it.  You don't pass up great value just because you need this or that.  The draft is about value and if he's there at the 2nd first round pick, unless a guy at QB drops with that type of value he'd be a Jaguar.  We'll figure the rest of it out.

(12-23-2019, 11:56 AM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]I think I'm inclined to agree with some other posters that the TE position is probably a bigger - considerably bigger - need right now. I'm not getting my hopes up on Oliver pulling a Chark and becoming a great receiving TE next year.  

I won't say WRs are a dime a dozen, because obviously that's not true. I would not be opposed to taking one if there were no better players to fill up a hole. But a lot is going to depend on how the new coaching staff (hopefully there WILL be a new coaching staff) handles that, whether they shift guys around or want whole news guys in general. But there's also the defensive side of things to consider.

It sucks because once again this team needs playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and once again they also have glaring needs on the OL and the DL and elsewhere that really need attention too.

TE is certainly a need, but unless I need a franchise QB, I'm going with the greatest talent and value in round 1.  If Hockensen were in this draft and he and Lamb were both on the board that decision would be tough for me because the talent is top tier within both respective positions, but to me there's not a Hockensen in this draft so I'm taking the better talent first.
Pages: 1 2 3