Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The biggest defensive play in Jaguars history
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Was an interception by a defensive lineman. In 1996 we made the playoffs on the last play of the season in week 17 vs the Falcons at home. Anderson missed a 33 yard FG by slipping and falling, and the kick was wide. 

We weren’t even supposed to make the playoffs. It was our 2nd season of existence and we were on our way to an 8-8 finish. But then a miracle happened.

That following weekend was Wildcard Weekend around the NFL, and we faced a Bills team that was 9-0 all time at home in the playoffs.

Thurman Thomas score easily on the first drive of the game. We went 3 and out and Buffalo scored again. At this point we couldn’t even sniff a first down on offense. 

All of the sudden Buffalo scored again.

Then Jim Kelly called a shuffle pass to Thurman Thomas and big Clyde Simmons fosses then LT to the ground and read the play perfect. He intercepted Kelly and ran to the end zone for our first ever playoff touchdown!

I remember sitting in my parents bedroom watching the game alone in the room. I was 14 years old, and I can remember it like it was yesterday....I jumped up and started screaming touchdown, touchdown....we intercepted the ball for a TD. After I went crazy our whole family watched the rest of the game.

Then Means busted lose for a 62 yarder. Then he outran 2 DBs for a score. It was his career best game 186 yards rushing.

Hollis doinked a FG off the upright, and we won 30-27.

Up until that Simmons interception, it appeared the Jags were going to get thumped. Ol Simmons changed the tides with 1 play, and the glass slipper fit, and we made a historic run all the way to the AFC Title game.

I would have to say that interception was the biggest defensive play in Jaguars history.
I remember hearing my neighbors all over the neighborhood yelling and screaming when Simmons intercepted that shovel pass and ran it in.  I also remember he ran so slowly, it looked like he was running in two feet of water.  It took forever for him to get to the end zone.
And then the AFC championship, offered a glimpse of the Patriot cheating way established even before Darth Hoodie came to town. Before there was power interrupting the 49ers momentum in the subpar bowl there was a lose of lights killing our momentum.

Ah nostalgia. Back when we had a franchise with a future.

Back on topic, that was a magical season and just unbelievable. I don't think we have seen something like that in a long while in the NFL.
The following week they won by the same score vs, the heavily favored Broncos. One of the biggest upsets ever in a playoff game alongside the Jets victory over the Colts (the 1st AFL team to win a Super Bowl). I'd have to say that 2 week playoff stretch was the most exciting time in the history of the franchise. It's way overdue for this franchise to get back to their winning ways like during the 1st decade of their existence. The first step will be to clean house on Sunday or Monday.
The best part was Kelly being carried out on a stretcher, the first HoF'er the Jags knocked into retirement.
The Simmons interception tied the game at 7.  How did it look like we were 'going to get thumped' before that?  The game was neck and neck the whole way.  Means 175.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/b...280buf.htm
(12-27-2019, 08:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]The best part was Kelly being carried out on a stretcher, the first HoF'er the Jags knocked into retirement.

these are the classy posts that keep me coming to duvalpride.com
(12-27-2019, 09:24 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2019, 08:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]The best part was Kelly being carried out on a stretcher, the first HoF'er the Jags knocked into retirement.

these are the classy posts that keep me coming to duvalpride.com

[Image: original.gif]
The best defensive play in Jags history was the Myles Jack fumble recovery that we got screwed on.
(12-27-2019, 08:31 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]And then the AFC championship, offered a glimpse of the Patriot cheating way established even before Darth Hoodie came to town. Before there was power interrupting the 49ers momentum in the subpar bowl there was a lose of lights killing our momentum.

Ah nostalgia. Back when we had a franchise with a future.

Back on topic, that was a magical season and just unbelievable. I don't think we have seen something like that in a long while in the NFL.

Can someone elaborate on this (I was very young at the time and don't fully remember the more intricate details of '96) The Lights of the stadium went out and affected our momentum/the game?!?
Clyde Simmons doesn’t get enough love for Jags fans. He was huge during that 96 playoff run and was a part of many memorable plays in both 96 and 97.

He always seemed to block FGs and PATs as well. He has to be the franchise leader in blocks.
(12-27-2019, 01:01 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2019, 08:31 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]And then the AFC championship, offered a glimpse of the Patriot cheating way established even before Darth Hoodie came to town. Before there was power interrupting the 49ers momentum in the subpar bowl there was a lose of lights killing our momentum.

Ah nostalgia.  Back when we had a franchise with a future.

Back on topic, that was a magical season and just unbelievable.  I don't think we have seen something like that in a long while in the NFL.

Can someone elaborate on this (I was very young at the time and don't fully remember the more intricate details of '96) The Lights of the stadium went out and affected our momentum/the game?!?

No, it was not our game.
Ramsey’s game winning int was something special. It sort of confirmed the defense was playoff ready. We all thought we had a Seattle defense type domination coming for years, but then it just all fell apart just one year later.
(12-27-2019, 02:02 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2019, 01:01 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone elaborate on this (I was very young at the time and don't fully remember the more intricate details of '96) The Lights of the stadium went out and affected our momentum/the game?!?

No, it was not our game.

Yes it was. The lights at Foxboro went out right as we started driving down by 1 score.
Wow this all takes me back to fond memories of optimism for this franchise. Everyone seemed to be a jag fan back then and were talking about them. So much positive energy. I still have my game ball signed by Brunell and Means.
(12-27-2019, 02:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2019, 02:02 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]No, it was not our game.

Yes it was. The lights at Foxboro went out right as we started driving down by 1 score.

SMH.  There's already a thread about patriots asterisks in the League Forum.  They screwed us twice.  Once with Maintenance and once with Refs.  Lets end this debate.
Ramsey buffalo int
Here's a candidate for biggest defensive play in team history.   In 1996, we were 8-7, and only needed to beat the 3-12 Falcons to go to the playoffs for the first time.  We led comfortably at the half, but in the second half the Falcons chipped away until we were hanging on 19-17 late in the game.  They had the ball, and they had been throwing a wide receiver screen all the second half and it had been giving us fits.  Time was running out.  They started driving down the field.  We couldn't stop them.  Then from about our 48 yard line, they threw that same WR screen and the WR broke out and was going for the winning TD to knock us out of the playoffs, but somehow, star DE Tony Brackens, in one of the all out hustle plays in team history, ran the guy down and tackled him at about the 26 yard line.  Of course, then Morton Andersen missed that FG and we went to the playoffs.

But without Tony Brackens running all the way downfield and catching that WR from behind, the Falcons would have scored a TD and we would not have gone to the playoffs.  

That is one of the most important, most forgotten defensive plays in team history.   Probably the most important defensive play in team history.

Go to the 1:54:19 mark in the video and you can see it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0poDsr4R6OA

Go to the end of the game was hear that stadium explode.  Unbelievable.  What a great memory.  I was there.

But, again, the play I am pointing to is where Tony Brackens caught the Falcons' WR from behind and prevented a game-winning TD.
This one has a special place in my heart......

https://youtu.be/nklpVIXIK9Q
(12-27-2019, 02:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2019, 02:02 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]No, it was not our game.

The way the sentence was written I thought they were talking about the 49ers game. You're.....right. I'm gonna go die now.  Tongue
Pages: 1 2