Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gardner Minshew for Offensive Rookie of the Year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who else is more deserving? He has a better record than Kyler Murray or Daniel Jones with similar (mostly better) stats. He should win it, though AJ Brown will be in consideration as well.
Him getting benched for Foles took any chance of this away
I think that Josh Jacobs may end up winning it. I have seen several people even during this last week still debating who should win. I've even seen some people throw Rookie RB, Miles Sanders name into the mix, because the last few weeks he's been playing well. It would be nice if Minshew at least could be a nominee for the OROY. But I think they might only nominate two people for the OROY award.

And I don't think he would be one of the top 2 nominees. Last year I believe only Baker Mayfield and Saquon Barkley were nominated for the OROY. I also wish that Josh Allen would be nominated for the DROY award. But I have seen other teams in addition to him and Nick Bosa's being floated around for that award as well.

Gardner can still win the Pepsi Rookie of the year award though. And have a chance to go to the Rookie brunch during Super Bowl week in Miami. So that's something fans can be on the lookout for and try and win for him. He should be a nominee for that award, especially since he's been nominated so many times for the weekly award. (And I believe that Pepsi does factor that into who they nominate for the yearly award). Different players can win the OROY and the Pepsi Rookie of the year award. It happened in 2014 when OBJ won the OROY but Teddy Bridgewater won the Pepsi Rookie of the Year award.
(12-29-2019, 08:48 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Him getting benched for Foles took any chance of this away

Sadly this
(12-29-2019, 08:48 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Him getting benched for Foles took any chance of this away

And even with that he has better stats than the other QBs competing for the award. I would get it if a non-QB wins, but otherwise I say it should objectively be him. I see your point though.

(12-29-2019, 08:50 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]I think that Josh Jacobs may end up winning it. I have seen several people even during this last week still debating who should win. I've even seen some people throw Rookie RB, Miles Sanders name into the mix, because the last few weeks he's been playing well. It would be nice if Minshew at least could be a nominee for the OROY. But I think they might only nominate two people for the OROY award.

And I don't think he would be one of the top 2 nominees. Last year I believe only Baker Mayfield and Saquon Barkley were nominated for the OROY. I also wish that Josh Allen would be nominated for the DROY award. But I have seen other teams in addition to him and Nick Bosa's being floated around for that award as well.

Gardner can still win the Pepsi Rookie of the year award though. And have a chance to go to the Rookie brunch during Super Bowl week in Miami. So that's something fans can be on the lookout for and try and win for him. He should be a nominees for that award, especially since he's been nominated so many times for the weekly award. (And I believe that Pepsi does factor that into who they nominate for the yearly award). Different players can win the OROY and the Pepsi Rookie of the year award. It happened in 2014 when OBJ won the OROY but Teddy Bridgewater won the Pepsi Rookie of the Year award.

This is an interesting point. If he wins the Pepsi award again this week, he would have a real shot to take home the overall yearly award. .
He should win this week giving him 7 weekly wins on the year. That might actually be enough to win it.
(12-29-2019, 08:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]He should win this week giving him 7 weekly wins on the year. That might actually be enough to win it.

It's Josh Jacobs or Minshew. Jacobs injury and missing games diminishes his stats, and with the Raiders out of the playoffs he's out of the spotlight. Minshew getting RotW for a 7th time and breaking the Jags franchise record for wins by a rookie qb and ending the season on a win may be enough to push him over given how big of a personality he has and that he's outplayed all the other rookie qb's.
(12-29-2019, 08:50 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]

And even with that he has better stats than the other QBs competing for the award. I would get it if a non-QB wins, but otherwise I say it should objectively be him. I see your point though.

(12-29-2019, 08:50 PM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]I think that Josh Jacobs may end up winning it. I have seen several people even during this last week still debating who should win. I've even seen some people throw Rookie RB, Miles Sanders name into the mix, because the last few weeks he's been playing well. It would be nice if Minshew at least could be a nominee for the OROY. But I think they might only nominate two people for the OROY award.

Gardner can still win the Pepsi Rookie of the year award though. And have a chance to go to the Rookie brunch during Super Bowl week in Miami. So that's something fans can be on the lookout for and try and win for him. He should be a nominees for that award, especially since he's been nominated so many times for the weekly award. (And I believe that Pepsi does factor that into who they nominate for the yearly award). Different players can win the OROY and the Pepsi Rookie of the year award. It happened in 2014 when OBJ won the OROY but Teddy Bridgewater won the Pepsi Rookie of the Year award.

This is an interesting point. If he wins the Pepsi award again this week, he would have a real shot to take home the overall yearly award. .

I know it's not as prestigious as the OROY of the year award, but he would get to go the brunch where they would honor him. And would get a trophy and get to mingle with different athletes (including possibly some former ones) and some celebrities. And since I think that's normally during Super Bowl week, that might open up the door for some other opportunities for him. Like maybe him doing some interviews, maybe with a couple of the national sports shows.

I think that I have seen Rookies pop up on shows like First Take and shows on ESPN/FS1 during Super Bowl week. He would be a fun person to interview. And it would be even better if Josh went to the brunch with him and maybe did some interviews as well. They would be good young representatives for the Jags during the Super Bowl Week festivities. 

I think that might be the best we can hope for as far as him getting an award. Though, like you guys mentioned, I do things might could have been different had he not been benched.
Jacksonville doesn't get nice things like that. It'll be Nick Bosa for DROY and Josh Jacobs or Hollywood Brown for OROY because they play in larger markets with play off teams.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If Minshew doesn’t get benched, which was an awful move, then he easily wins ROY.
I don't know, he played like crap for about 5 games and today was pretty darn good so is just to iffy IMO to win ROY.
Minshew has a chance since the award is likely just rookie QB of the year. If it were actually offensive rookie of the year then it would come down to Jacbos, Brown, and Miles Sanders.
(12-29-2019, 09:37 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Minshew has a chance since the award is likely just rookie QB of the year. If it were actually offensive rookie of the year then it would come down to Jacbos, Brown, and Miles Sanders.

That was my thought originally. Usually they try to give the award to a QB.
Marquise Brown for OROY? Hollywood is maybe 7th best Rookie WR. AJ Brown, Darius Slayton, Terry McLaurin, Dionte Johnson, DK Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, and even Hunter Renfrow have more yards than him.

I agree Minshew should be a top candidate but the benching for Foles killed it and Josh Jacobs will win it easily. Kyler will get votes too because he's Kyler