Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cameron D. Robinson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What is your take on Cam Robinson? 

Are his struggles injury related, insurmountable slow footwork/poor technique, a work in progress, poor coaching-based, or something else? 

Do you attempt to move him to guard and upgrade LT with a new acquisition?
I believe his only weakness is weakness itself. He is weak, needs to get on the weights to increase his upper body strength. Otherwise he possesses the skills necessary IMO.
(01-06-2020, 11:42 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]I believe his only weakness is weakness itself. He is weak, needs to get on the weights to increase his upper body strength. Otherwise he possesses the skills necessary IMO.

(Poll added since your post)
People were impressed with Robinson his rookie season. He did well in run blocking and pass blocking. The whole line did well in 2017.
Something changed for Cam. Probably the injury.
He's no bookend LT or any part of the offensive line. A decent backup at best. Super Bowl statue Foles needs the best offensive line every assembled.
He played poor before the injury.
I think it's mainly the injury, I'm not saying he'll be a pro bowl LT, but he was decent in 17. I think he'll be better next year.
I see we're playing one of our favorite games again, Cam 2017 revisionist history!
Poor technique, lets opposing players get under his skin and makes mistakes. You can only control for so much. I don't think he's suited to a tackle spot, and I'm not even 100% sure he's suited to a starting job. Physical limitations at LT can be handled by a switch to G. Mental limitations at T will still exist at G.
He shows great promise but I feel doesn’t always give the effort needed.
It's a guess as to whether r not the injury affected his play this year, and if so whether or not he can recover 100%. But unless someone can prove an alternate explanation he should get the benefit of the doubt. That's how I voted.

I'll note (as I always do) that none of the offensive linemen improve under the Jags coaching, including several free agents with solid records before coming here. So poor coaching is another strong possibility. Warhop was panned by the TB faithful before coming here, but the problems existed before this year. Former OL coach Marrone is ultimately at fault.
Actually I was wrong.
I thought Robinson was doing fine because the line as a whole did well, but no. This is from PFF's 2017 wrapup.

15. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Total pressures surrendered: 151
Best player: Brandon Linder
Combinations used: 14

Jacksonville’s offensive line had a lot of success in run-blocking as the 1.95 yards Jaguars running backs averaged before contact ranked second in the NFL last season. The unit was anchored by Brandon Linder, who has established himself as one of the best centers in the league over the past couple of seasons as he did not allow a single sack all year. Right tackle Jermey Parnell has been consistently solid for a couple seasons as well and similarly to Linder, did not allow a single sack all season. On the other side, however, rookie left tackle Cam Robinson went through some growing pains in his first season in the NFL as he played 13 games in the regular season and was called for 12 penalties in these games while he allowed at least three total pressures in 10 games, including the playoffs
(01-06-2020, 11:46 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]People were impressed with Robinson his rookie season. He did well in run blocking and pass blocking.  The whole line did well in 2017.
Something changed for Cam.  Probably the injury.

Expectations changed as well.  Allowances are made for rookies that aren't made for veterans.  He was never dominant as a rookie.  He just played well for a rookie and showed potential to be dominant.
New LT needed. Can't take a risk on what ifs to evaluate the quarterbacks next season.
I like enough of Cam to keep him around for now. He didnt have a great year and I'm not sure how much was down to the ACL recovery. He can be a very good run blocker, he seems best when hes engaging the Dline and pushing forwards.

His pass protection has been ok. Gets pushed back more than I like, that's strength and footwork. He does a solid job of getting his feet in position to stop speed guys from getting outside him but can struggle if the rusher throws a move in. 

The one red flag was preseason when the staff said he was healthy but Cam didn't want to practice. In light of all the Coughlin rules maybe it wasnt all him.

I want to see him and the Oline with better coaching and scheming before we move on.
I'm going with bad coaching. Even if he is better suited for Guard, it's still the product of bad coaching to place him at Tackle. Both of our tackles had issues this season. I think Robinson and Taylor could use an offseason with boxing and learning length and counter punch. When I watch them sometimes they are slow against guys who can bend the edge. The thing is, even if your feet are not the fastest, you have to have recovery moves, and this is where your arms/hands come into play. They were both a bit weak and lazy here.
Worst case scenario, they draft a LT to replace him and he moves inside to play LG.
He's not good but his floor at guard is also "unplayable". There's a greater chance he's a bad guard than a good one.

He's had the same fatal flaws as college so the hope at this point is just another year removed from injury (he wasn't healthy week 1 I don't care what coaching said) makes him simply below average Vs bad
(01-06-2020, 02:48 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]He's not good but his floor at guard is also "unplayable". There's a greater chance he's a bad guard than a good one.

He's had the same fatal flaws as college so the hope at this point is just another year removed from injury (he wasn't healthy week 1 I don't care what coaching said) makes him simply below average Vs bad
I don't see him a being a bad guard. At worst, he is a decent starter at guard.
(01-06-2020, 02:50 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2020, 02:48 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]He's not good but his floor at guard is also "unplayable". There's a greater chance he's a bad guard than a good one.

I don't see him a being a bad guard. At worst, he is a decent starter at guard.

I have a hard time saying a below average player at one position will have a floor of decent at a position they've never played at any kind of level.  

At worst he isn't startable at guard, at best I can see him being a pretty nice guard.
Pages: 1 2 3