Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Where does Smoot fit into next year's plans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
He's actually played well this year.  With Campbell and Yannick's future here in jeopordy, how--and how much would you use Smoot?
He's a rotational pass rusher. I don't anticipate Yan or Campbell going anywhere. Dareus will be the big cut/restructure needed to free up room for Yan's contract.
We're overrating Smoots impact big time. He was almost never the cause of the havoc, he was the garbage man that cleaned up 3 seconds after Allen or Yan forced the QB to climb the pocket. Expanding his role would expose him the same way expanding Abry's exposed him after we tried to make him the full time Roy Miller replacement.
(01-09-2020, 05:23 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We're overrating Smoots impact big time. He was almost never the cause of the havoc, he was the garbage man that cleaned up 3 seconds after Allen or Yan forced the QB to climb the pocket. Expanding his role would expose him the same way expanding Abry's exposed him after we tried to make him the full time Roy Miller replacement.

Who is overrating him?
(01-09-2020, 05:26 PM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2020, 05:23 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We're overrating Smoots impact big time. He was almost never the cause of the havoc, he was the garbage man that cleaned up 3 seconds after Allen or Yan forced the QB to climb the pocket. Expanding his role would expose him the same way expanding Abry's exposed him after we tried to make him the full time Roy Miller replacement.

Who is overrating him?

Yeah I am not sure where I have seen too many posters on here rating him highly. Most of us are well aware he's been a work in progress that filled in nicely via rotation last year. 

That doesn't mean they'll break the bank for him. If they felt that highly of Smoot or had that much confidence in him they wouldn't have drafted guys like Bryan and Allen over the last two years. 

For a third round pick though he finally showed some worth in 2019. Would like to see him remain here in the same exact role. Just like I wanted to see Aaron Colvin stay here in the same exact role. If he hits free agency some team that's desperate will more than likely overpay him for his services though.
(01-09-2020, 05:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2020, 05:26 PM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]Who is overrating him?

Yeah I am not sure where I have seen too many posters on here rating him highly. Most of us are well aware he's been a work in progress that filled in nicely via rotation last year. 

That doesn't mean they'll break the bank for him. If they felt that highly of Smoot or had that much confidence in him they wouldn't have drafted guys like Bryan and Allen over the last two years. 

For a third round pick though he finally showed some worth in 2019. Would like to see him remain here in the same exact role. Just like I wanted to see Aaron Colvin stay here in the same exact role. If he hits free agency some team that's desperate will more than likely overpay him for his services though.

Doesn't he have another year to go on his rookie contract?
Smoot has 2020 left to play cheaply on his rookie deal and he'll continue to be a rotational big end.

He doesn't wreak havoc often, but does a solid job cleaning up and setting the edge.
He does fine spelling Campbell and had an uptick in sack production this year on his 509 snaps.
I expect no change in role.
(01-09-2020, 05:26 PM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]

Who is overrating him?

I guess you don't follow the gameday threads.
(01-09-2020, 09:25 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]

Good plays from back-ups in gameday threads are going to draw praise. Grains of salt required for perspective.

Just as it is with your incessant hyperbolic pessimism.
Smoot is a player that every team needs. An average player among superstars that makes a play here and there. He’s a serviceable Defensive Lineman.

There’s 50 other players that will give you the same results. I’d rather keep the guy that’s already been here a few years.
he actually plays 3 tech more often than not these days, nice rotational guy in that role
Allen needs 300-400 more snaps going forward so Smoot is going to have to stick to roughly the same role.
(01-09-2020, 09:25 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]

Good God, can a Jaguar ever do anything positive for you?  Anything?  The king of the pessimistic.
(01-09-2020, 10:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]he actually plays 3 tech more often than not these days, nice rotational guy in that role

I'd like to see those snap counts.  (if they exist) 
I definitely saw him inside at times, but recall seeing him more at strong side end. 

(even saw a few at weak side end in what I assume was their "heavy" set)
(01-09-2020, 10:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Smoot is a player that every team needs. An average player among superstars that makes a play here and there. He’s a serviceable Defensive Lineman.

There’s 50 other players that will give you the same results. I’d rather keep the guy that’s already been here a few years.

absolutely this.

he's the 'role player'. The superstars draw the double teams, shift the eyes of the opposing lines, and these types of players are the ones who earn their keep by being good enough to take advantage of the distraction.

Nobody expects him to get 12 sacks a year. If he keeps doing what he did this past season, I see no reason not to offer him a deal to stick around.
(01-10-2020, 10:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2020, 10:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]he actually plays 3 tech more often than not these days, nice rotational guy in that role

I'd like to see those snap counts.  (if they exist) 
I definitely saw him inside at times, but recall seeing him more at strong side end. 

Tried find them but couldn't. Most of his sacks and pressures came from that role

Dude, you’ve become the new TMD and that’s not a good thing. 

No one here is overrating him, and you should be optimistic seeing him make strides. We need all the help we can get. Take a chill pill
Smoot made some good youtube videos but on the field..eh he is a decent rotational player. Over rating him is a big stretch to pull off.
If we have the cap space to extend him a few years for cheap, we should consider it. As many on here have said, he is a nice piece to have. Who knows after next season he may look like Campbell’s replacement.
(01-10-2020, 03:00 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2020, 10:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to see those snap counts.  (if they exist) 

Tried find them but couldn't. Most of his sacks and pressures came from that role

I went back and flipped through the all22 of the week 16 ATL game and made note of his alignment.

He played 9 snaps at 4-3 DE and 13 snaps at "DT."

The big takeaway here however was how they use him at DT.
Seven of those 13 snaps came in their 3-4 look with Smoot basically playing like a 3-4 end and 91 or 41 rushing from the edge like a LB.  As shown below:
(so it's really more like 16 snaps at end and 6 snaps at DT)

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-01-14-at-8-41-33-AM.png]
Pages: 1 2