Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: GMII - led NFL in Deep Ball QB rating!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wow, just came across this nugget! Apologies if it's already been shared. GMII had the best rating on passes over 20 yards for the entire NFL, not just rookies, with a rating of 129 on those passes... As a ROOKIE! 

But arm strength was the major draft grade concern... Lol. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2019-all-rookie-team

PFF had only Wilson and Deshaun Watson rated higher on deep balls with thier rating system. 

I think we got a REAL one fellas! What a relief to finally have something to look forward to at QB.

And I'll admit I was a Foles defender, I think he can be a good QB in the right situations but our turnstile of an offensive line clearly didn't work for him. Minshews legs to buy time were a key part in his success with that line.

I can't wait to see what Minshew can do next year if we are actually able to improve the line.
(01-22-2020, 12:54 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, just came across this nugget! Apologies if it's already been shared. GMII had the best rating on passes over 20 yards for the entire NFL, not just rookies, with a rating of 129 on those passes... As a ROOKIE! 

PFF had only Wilson and Deshaun Watson rated higher on deep balls with thier rating system. 

I think we got a REAL one fellas! What a relief to finally have something to look forward to at QB.

And I'll admit I was a Foles defender, I think he can be a good QB in the right situations but our turnstile of an offensive line clearly didn't work for him. Minshews legs to buy time were a key part in his success with that line.

I can't wait to see what Minshew can do next year if we are actually able to improve the line.

Deep passer rating doesn't equate to "no arm strength issue." 

The kid proved his arm strength was not as much of an issue as we thought. And that's awesome, but this stat doesn't change the deficiency for him. Minshew is a cerebral passer when it comes to timing, placement, and accuracy. These areas of skill aided him more on these deep throws than his arm strength.  

He also got a boost from having DJ Chark putting on display some of the best ball tracking skills in the league. That kid turns and zeroes in on the ball in mid-flight better than a ton of receivers  - and he can often make very nimble adjustments when necessary.
Looking forward to GMII and DJ next season .
Arm strength has a lot more components than the deep ball, but I get your point. The fact is that GMll is a damn good QB.. and I believe with the right tools, he can be one for a long time.
I bet he did, if ya know what I mean.
(01-22-2020, 06:45 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I bet he did, if ya know what I mean.

I definitely do, if you catch my drift.
(01-22-2020, 06:51 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2020, 06:45 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I bet he did, if ya know what I mean.

I definitely do, if you catch my drift.

I’m picking up what you’re throwing down.
(01-22-2020, 01:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2020, 12:54 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, just came across this nugget! Apologies if it's already been shared. GMII had the best rating on passes over 20 yards for the entire NFL, not just rookies, with a rating of 129 on those passes... As a ROOKIE! 

Deep passer rating doesn't equate to "no arm strength issue." 

The kid proved his arm strength was not as much of an issue as we thought. And that's awesome, but this stat doesn't change the deficiency for him. Minshew is a cerebral passer when it comes to timing, placement, and accuracy. These areas of skill aided him more on these deep throws than his arm strength.  

He also got a boost from having DJ Chark putting on display some of the best ball tracking skills in the league. That kid turns and zeroes in on the ball in mid-flight better than a ton of receivers  - and he can often make very nimble adjustments when necessary.

Yeah I get what you're saying. He definitely isn't chucking it 70 yards like Mahomes, and he is definitely more of a "touch" passer than throwing lasers all over the place but he has enough in that arm to get it where it needs to be. 

The pass that finally answered his arm strength questions for me personally, was the pass to Cole for a 45 yd gain against the Colts. He threw that from about the 35 yard line and Cole caught it around the 15 yard line. That's about 50 yards, but he was throwing diaganol to the sideline so it was probably more like 55 yards or so in the air and it was an absolute dime of a pass. 

That pass fell into about a 3 foot window of exactly where it had to be, after traveling 55 yards and Cole was actually covered decently well.

And yeah, Chark - he good. He could be special for a while.
Riding with the Shew.
Minshew, with a full offseason / training camp, with gruden designing an offense for him should be fun to watch next season.
Not surprised. He can throw it over a mountain.
(01-22-2020, 11:06 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2020, 01:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Deep passer rating doesn't equate to "no arm strength issue." 

Yeah I get what you're saying. He definitely isn't chucking it 70 yards like Mahomes, and he is definitely more of a "touch" passer than throwing lasers all over the place but he has enough in that arm to get it where it needs to be. 

The pass that finally answered his arm strength questions for me personally, was the pass to Cole for a 45 yd gain against the Colts. He threw that from about the 35 yard line and Cole caught it around the 15 yard line. That's about 50 yards, but he was throwing diaganol to the sideline so it was probably more like 55 yards or so in the air and it was an absolute dime of a pass. 

That pass fell into about a 3 foot window of exactly where it had to be, after traveling 55 yards and Cole was actually covered decently well.

And yeah, Chark - he good. He could be special for a while.

Agreed.  He's not in the upper half of the league in terms of arm strength, but he's got more than enough. 

His timing, release, and accuracy easily counteract any velocity issues on 95% (or more) of the passes I've seen from him. There were only a select few that had me feeling certain they'd be picks when they left his hand due to velocity.  Most of those I noticed were incomplete, defensed/batted, or dropped INTs.  And again, we're talking maybe 8 or 9 passes here that I took note of. Very low percentage of his attempts. 

I imagine that if the kid gets a clean pocket more often, that number could be even better as he'd ostensibly be able to throw with better mechanics when he's not running for his life.
This is a good stat for Gardner. Here is another one from PFF:

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1219364758140477440

That's interesting that Gardner (in addition to the other QB's on the list) threw this many TD's under pressure. Though I definitely don't think it is surprising that Gardner is on this list. The other Qb's on the list make sense as well.
(01-23-2020, 11:30 AM)mal234 Wrote: [ -> ]This is a good stat for Gardner. Here is another one from PFF:

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1219364758140477440

That's interesting that Gardner (in addition to the other QB's on the list) threw this many TD's under pressure. Though I definitely don't think it is surprising that Gardner is on this list. The other Qb's on the list make sense as well.

"Mad scramble for your life - hit receiver in corner of the end-zone" was really our only successful red-zone play this year.  Would be nice next year to see a few TDs that aren't complete improv.
Get this man a better oline and weapons and lets go.