Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Can Doug Marrone run away with the job
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So if Gus is fired after London and presumably Doug is the HC, what are the chances he keeps the gig? He turned a lousy Buffalo team into something. This team is loaded with talent.

The odds aren't in his favor but there is a small chance. I would expect interviews to be conducted with other high end coaching candidates regardless.
I would say that all depends on his record.  Can he go 8-4?  If so, I say yes.  If not, look elsewhere.

Quote:So if Gus is fired after London and presumably Doug is the HC, what are the chances he keeps the gig? He turned a lousy Buffalo team into something. This team is loaded with talent.
I've said it before, I'll say it again: after four years of zero accountability under Gus, I don't want a guy who was a cancer in his own locker room before quitting on the team--how's that for accountability?--leading the charge for the Jaguars. The fact that the line has regressed on his watch only makes me less interested in seeing him as the head coach, short or long term. I'd rather see Monte Kiffin take the job for the rest of this year, then have the team ready for a new coach.

Firing gus is what needs to happen but it isnt going to change much.

And doug wasnt the reason for that bills teams success, hes an offensive guy and their offensive got worse under him. Jim Schwartz and his defense carried all of that. Doug isnt a good coach either.
I look at this from a "what do we have to lose" standpoint to be honest.

Nah, Marrone is a bum that can't even get consistency out of this O-line for the past few years. He is also a quitter. With that said, who do you put as interim?

Actually, now that I've had more time to think about it.  Jacksonville would probably look like a pretty ideal place to land a head coaching job now.  Great owner, good GM, good QB (sometimes), decent running backs, crappy o-line, decent front 4, good LBs, good/decent secondary (Cyp has been playing better), excellent punter, decent kicker.

This staring roster, minus the o-line is actually pretty damn good, they're just not prepared and haven't taken advantage of the situations.  It's coaching that's missing...and did I mention the o-line?

Quote:This team is loaded with talent.

I think we are loaded with talent too. Many disagree with that idea. Talent alone should have won 2 of those 3 games. We should be 2-1
If Celveland can keep getting HC's like Hue Jackson, who was considered a good prospect, Jacksonville can certainly land a good prospect. We're not a bad place to be. 

No. He didn't impress any of the GMs with coaching vacancies this off-season and the unit he is overseeing is the weakest unit on the team.
Quote:So if Gus is fired after London and presumably Doug is the HC, what are the chances he keeps the gig? He turned a lousy Buffalo team into something. This team is loaded with talent.

How's he supposed to runaway with it with that terrible run blocking he's coaching our OL to do?
If any interim head coach wins 7 to 9 of the remaining games, that individual is already a better coach and ring of honor worthy over gus
Gus shouldn't even be allowed to look at the Pride of the Jaguars.

I find it odd that Marrone's "integrity" because he "quit" on Buffalo is being called into play when discussing him as an interim candidate but not when discussing him for a coordinator candidate.

If Gus gets fired next week, Marrone is clearly the guy with the most experience to be the interim. Show us what you got Doug!

Quote:I find it odd that Marrone's "integrity" because he "quit" on Buffalo is being called into play when discussing him as an interim candidate but not when discussing him for a coordinator candidate.

If Gus gets fired next week, Marrone is clearly the guy with the most experience to be the interim. Show us what you got Doug!

Look at how our OL is playing. Doug has already shown you what he has. 
Who the interim coach is won't matter in the long run.  What does matter is that the organization recognizes there is problem with this team and does something about it sooner rather than later.  The decision should be swift if we're 0-4 going into a bye.

I don't like to get political but WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE

Quote:I don't like to get political but WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE

My standpoint as well.
I don't know who else it would be besides Marrone. Olson, Wash absolutely not.

Marrone has enough experience to get us through the season. If he turns it around then he should be considered. But I would want interviews to be conducted regardless.
Pages: 1 2