Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Market Crash (3/12/2020) - What should the Gov do? Open Opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We've heard a lot of things floating around on other threads but I thought it would be a good idea to get your thoughts on what the Gov should be doing to stop the market crash

OK, OTHER THAN COMING UP WITH A CURE FOR CARONAVIRUS (which isn't going to happen for quite a while), what can the Gov do today to stop the bleeding to the market

** I think they should allow the population to defer on loan payments for 3 months.  This would include no home mortgages, no auto, no student loans, no credit cards, or any other loan payments until July 1.  The Gov would subsidize the loan industry for their Q2 losses on not being able to recognize any interest pmts. **

I like the 0% payroll tax for my own personal benefit as well but I can't see that happening right now.

THOUGHTS?
(03-12-2020, 09:56 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]We've heard a lot of things floating around on other threads but I thought it would be a good idea to get your thoughts on what the Gov should be doing to stop the market crash

OK, OTHER THAN COMING UP WITH A CURE FOR CARONAVIRUS (which isn't going to happen for quite a while), what can the Gov do today to stop the bleeding to the market

** I think they should allow the population to defer on loan payments for 3 months.  This would include no home mortgages, no auto, no student loans, no credit cards, or any other loan payments until July 1.  The Gov would subsidize the loan industry for their Q2 losses on not being able to recognize any interest pmts. **

I like the 0% payroll tax for my own personal benefit as well but I can't see that happening right now.

THOUGHTS?

Considering that people are going to be spending less on consumer goods/entertainment then they normally would, any stimulus package that benefits the middle and lower SES would be substantially helpful. I agree on loan deferments as a component of said initiative
Nothing.
(03-12-2020, 09:56 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]We've heard a lot of things floating around on other threads but I thought it would be a good idea to get your thoughts on what the Gov should be doing to stop the market crash

THOUGHTS?

I like the 0% payroll tax, but neither party likes it because that money is injected right into their pockets for spending and would be a last ditch effort.

Personally, i'd love no interest/mortgage on anything, but it wouldn't be fair to people with no debt or mortgage.

On a side note, I am fine with the airline industry going bankrupt and down in flames. They deserve it.
(03-12-2020, 10:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note, I am fine with the airline industry going bankrupt and down in flames. They deserve it.

Dude, we're flying to Puerto Rico on Saturday ----- perhaps we can defer the entire "going down in flames thing for a while"
(03-12-2020, 10:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing.

^This
(03-12-2020, 10:25 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2020, 10:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note, I am fine with the airline industry going bankrupt and down in flames. They deserve it.

Dude, we're flying to Puerto Rico on Saturday ----- perhaps we can defer the entire "going down in flames thing for a while"

Haha, didn't mean literally. Have a good vacation man!

I agree.  The government has no business propping up the stock market.  I don't mind them stepping in and helping the less fortunate, but I and my fellow stock-owning brethren deserve no bailout.  We knew the risk when we bought into the stock market.
LOL, the Fed has been propping up the stock market since 2008. The only question is, do they have anything left in the toolbox they haven't already been using? We had better hope so, because the banksters' next bailout is coming right out of your account, either in the form of "haircuts", negative interest rates or direct confiscation. It's there in black & white in the Dodd-Frank reforms.
(03-12-2020, 11:26 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]LOL, the Fed has been propping up the stock market since 2008.  

Say what?  The GW Bush administration propped up the housing and stock market.  Obama simply fixed everything and built consumer confidence that resulted in the increases and the perfect economy that was left for the next president.

Your Welcome.

Agreed.  Let the free market and Capitalism do it's own work.
Start a War. Duh.
(03-12-2020, 10:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

THOUGHTS?

I like the 0% payroll tax, but neither party likes it because that money is injected right into their pockets for spending and would be a last ditch effort.

Personally, i'd love no interest/mortgage on anything, but it wouldn't be fair to people with no debt or mortgage.

On a side note, I am fine with the airline industry going bankrupt and down in flames. They deserve it.

They really need to do something to send people home and shut businesses down except for needed services. To do that, they would need to give tax relief for rent/building/labor expenses and give interest free loans to help the smaller companies. Larger companies have plenty of cash, but they care about their stock price too much. They need to keep people employed while they have to be at home.

If people get fired, a panic will set in. People can manage and supplies can be shipped to the larger stores but they need to have an income.
They need to just let the market handle itself. Everyone said we needed a correction. Well now we have it.
Markets getting smashed again. Wow. May need another thread for tomorrow.