Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Divvy up the blame pie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where and how much of the blame goes to each portion of our team? Take 100% of the problem and divide it up where you think the responsibility for our failure lies. My opinion:

50% coaching staff - Gus' overall philosophy has gotten beyond old at this point. Offensive gameplanning is obviously a wreck, and Wash has no clue what he is doing with the front 7. DL gaps and random flipping of Poz/Skuta's role is bizarre. 

25% Blake - No way to sugar coat it, Blake has regressed in virtually every way. The elongated throwing motion is the root of the problem I believe, but across the board his accuracy, ball placement, decision making, and timing are all worse. 

15% oline - Run blocking has been a major issue. Yeldon has the worst yards before contact in the league so far. I really think if we could get some continuity between Beachum/Joeckel/Linder/Cann/Parnell it could be a serviceable line though. Pass blocking has been better than expected, I don't think protection has very much to do with Blake's struggles. 

10% Dave - His issue of not giving up on some of his pet projects has been a problem. Gus has stuck around far too long, despite a great IOL FA class Dave didn't get any kind of backup plan for IOL if the Joeckel LG experiment didn't work out or if Beachum didn't return from his ACL at 100%, and the weekly Holmes making plays for the Browns while Chris Smith is inactive vines are getting really sad. 

Negligible blame - WRs, dline, secondary, and special teams have all been perfectly fine. 

[Image: piechart.png]

50% coaching--They aren't getting the most of these players.  I don't think Gus knows how to play to the strengths of our players or to adjust.  And it's not just him.  It's our coordinators, and positions coaches.  If they don't play to our players strengths, then they aren't going to win.  We also commit awful penalties, and a lot of that is on coaching.  

20% - Offensive Line.  We CANNOT get a running game going at all.  Not even close.  Blake Bortles is once again, almost our leading rusher.  We have the third fewest rushing yards in the league--and New Orleans is one of the teams behind us, and they've only played two games.  Yes, Atlanta is ahead of us, and they too have a game tonight.  Until we can get some sort of running game going, we're going to be putting Bortles in bad situations where he can't succeed.

20% - Blake Bortles - Bortles has regressed something terrible.  Of course part of it is that we aren't playing to his strengths.  He needs to mature, and find a way to take the next step--and soon.  Or we'll be drafting yet another QB before long.  He needs to stop making boneheaded decisions.  He can't keep having bad games like this, and continue to be an NFL QB.  If we can take pressure off him by adding a running game, I think it'll help.  But he has to go through his progressions, and stop staring down the receiver.  

10% - Dave Caldwell - He's kept Gus around for a bit longer than he should have.  Right now he's on the Titanic.  If he sticks with Gus, he goes down with the ship.  "Bye Dave!" we'll be saying.  But he also has a chance to get on a lifeboat, and hire a second head coach.  He's put talent on this team.  They just need to put it all together.  Of course he still needs to put together an offensive line that can block the run.  Still, he's done well enough to earn that second coach.  Can't place too much blame on him.  

Well ain't that fancy

The problem is the coaching staff has a huge effect over all of those other things.
[Image: 65c8c654a2b4ea8bcb56fc5ea7c31547.jpg]

I am going 50% Olson, 40% Bortles, and 10% O line.

The defense won the game, they gave the offense the ball with 6 minutes left on the Ravens 30 and then again with 3 minutes on the 29. Olson went conservative as heck, and Bortles threw that low ball that got tipped and intercepted. Still the defensive held again and got the offense the ball back with 1 minute and 1 timeout. Bortles throws a freaking check down to start it off? Really man? Then, the unthinkable happens. How in the world does Bortles take that sack? I mean, seriously, how in the world does he not throw that one away. Next play is another check down. Fourth down he gets picked. He then runs off the field like a baby. 

There was about 5 other throws in the game where the ball could have been intercepted. What is the problem? Throwing motion? Are his feet not planted right? 

Olson is a total greaseball. Continued with the run in an effort to wind clock down. I can't even with this guy. Seriously though something else has to be happening that makes the run game so atrocious. They have to be tipping to the defense some how they are running. I mean, I know every first down play is a run but something else has to be happening. These guys are beyond strong enough for the run game to be effective, either something with the blocking assignments is messed up or what?

I agree on most points although the Oline thing also falls on coaching. 

About your last point on Caldwell I agree. 

The Tyrone Holmes-Chris smith situation is just hard to understand. Tyrone Holmes was showing up more and more during preaseason and camp and Chris Smith we know him....I mean he's not even active on gameday...

Impressive chart.
Very accurate. The 50% on the coaches speaks volumes and that is why a change is needed now. Of course, if Blake does not improve it won't matter who the coach is.

I like pie. I prefer apple pie, but a pecan is also a solid choice. My favorite flamboyant pies would have to be lemon meringue and banana cream pie
I prefer line charts showing the future of the Jags.

https://davebirss.files.wordpress.com/20...mbnail.jpg
Quote:Where and how much of the blame goes to each portion of our team? Take 100% of the problem and divide it up where you think the responsibility for our failure lies. My opinion:

50% coaching staff - Gus' overall philosophy has gotten beyond old at this point. Offensive gameplanning is obviously a wreck, and Wash has no clue what he is doing with the front 7. DL gaps and random flipping of Poz/Skuta's role is bizarre. 

25% Blake - No way to sugar coat it, Blake has regressed in virtually every way. The elongated throwing motion is the root of the problem I believe, but across the board his accuracy, ball placement, decision making, and timing are all worse. 

15% oline - Run blocking has been a major issue. Yeldon has the worst yards before contact in the league so far. I really think if we could get some continuity between Beachum/Joeckel/Linder/Cann/Parnell it could be a serviceable line though. Pass blocking has been better than expected, I don't think protection has very much to do with Blake's struggles. 

10% Dave - His issue of not giving up on some of his pet projects has been a problem. Gus has stuck around far too long, despite a great IOL FA class Dave didn't get any kind of backup plan for IOL if the Joeckel LG experiment didn't work out or if Beachum didn't return from his ACL at 100%, and the weekly Holmes making plays for the Browns while Chris Smith is inactive vines are getting really sad. 

Negligible blame - WRs, dline, secondary, and special teams have all been perfectly fine. 

65% Coaching - Gus Bradley was brought in here under the pretense that he was good at the defensive side of the football. In his four years so far we've seen this defense finish in the bottom four in virtually every category. Even when this team was 5 - 11 under Jack Del Rio / Mel Tucker in 2011 the defense at that time managed to finish 11th overall. Somewhere between the Ownership exchange, the Mike Mularkey hiring and Dave Caldwell's hiring in 2013 along with Gus Bradley we managed to gut what seemed to be a competent defense and scheme that worked. His personal coordinator hiring's have been questionable. Instead of hiring guys that should be able to get the job done. He'd hire his buddies like Babich who stunk it up. Then he promotes another in house coach like Wash whose never coached a defense at this level. Then he brought in Fisch from the college ranks who didn't have a clue. And the he goes and get's Olsen from Oakland. Which, again, didn't understand the hype at the time but he only had the 31st overall offense prior to coming to Jacksonville. The overall lack of preparedness, penalties and execution. And the ridiculous amounts of excuses we've heard through his 51 games as a headcoach is atrocious. He's clearly not capable of head coaching at this level. And it resonates throughout the entire front office and locker room. This is the experiment that should be over. This is the experiment that honestly should have ended after 2014.

25% David Caldwell - He's the talent evaluator and selector of the personnel and coaching staff. He bares a good portion of the blame for this team being 12 - 39. Does the roster have talent? Yes. It's there. It's slowly but surely and little by little trying to poke it's head out to showcase that he knows what he's doing. That's why I am giving him 25% of the blame and putting it more on the coaching staff. But at some point, he has to figure out who the right coach will be for his roster. Who can fix the lineman and quarterback situation without having to make too many drastic changes or destroying yet another roster to make things work again. I'd like to see him retained. But, if Bortles has a complete meltdown he will need to go at the end of the year. I'd assume at some point if it gets any more uglier that he will at least throw Gus under the Bus and save himself for a few more months.

5% Offensive Lineman - They've given up the most sacks since 2014. It's been too much plug and play but at some point you have to step up and get it done as well in the blocking department. Fundamentals are there. It's not like you're being asked to read and recognize a defense on every snap. For the most you big fellas have been seeing the same bull rush, rip move, spin move and swim move and quick jab since Pop Werner or Middle School at the minimum. You either have the strength to hold it down and the fire in your belly to fight back. Or, you tuck tail and cower. To me, I put more blame on the coaching and general manager. If I see that you're struggling on your own to protect the quarterback or create running lanes I'd like to see a fullback out there to help you out in some shape or form or maybe a twin tight end set to help out on the edge. Rarely do you see this though.

5% Blake Bortles - Blake hasn't been perfect. That's a fair statement. He's a little sloppy at times. He's indecisive at times. And for a guy that's coming off his 32nd NFL start officially after that loss to Baltimore. I think this offense is STILL trying to figure out what it's identity is. It's still imbalanced like it's been since 2013. Inconsistent pass protection. No running game. Predictable and containable passing situations when the games are still a game and within reach with a fighting chance to win. It's hard for me to dislike him. I see how incompetent the coaching staff is. And I see how they don't stay true to their words as well. Caldwell and Bradley said on DAY ONE. They didn't want him to start and play at all during his rookie year. They flat out acknowledged that he was rough around the edges, he was still very young and that they'd rather him learn for a year behind Henne. Now we're seeing why him sitting out his rookie season may have been the best thing for this football team. They should have let Henne take the beating in 2014. They should have let Bortles work on his mechanics. But it's too late for that. He now has to step it up when he can. He knows he's not getting any help in protection or in the run game. So maybe he should think about free lancing it a bit and changing the plays to his own choosing at this point.
IF losses continue, or we get close,but no cigar in the next year or two? I'll put a small percentage on Khan.

The team jumped to over a billion dollars in value. Home games in London are about money. They do zippo in home field advantage.

A division game this week against the Colts could be crucial, even this year.

Giving an opponent equal advantage is not conducive to winning. Now we are locked in till 2020? That one game could be a difference maker.
[Image: funny-giraffe-eating-pie-window-animated-picture.gif]

Marcedes says "Bring more pie!"

Quote:IF losses continue, or we get close,but no cigar in the next year or two? I'll put a small percentage on Khan.

The team jumped to over a billion dollars in value. Home games in London are about money. They do zippo in home field advantage.

A division game this week against the Colts could be crucial, even this year.

Giving an opponent equal advantage is not conducive to winning. Now we are locked in till 2020? That one game could be a difference maker.

Agree.

If they have to keep playing in London, the best thing to do is keep it an AFC vs NFC game.

A potential loss could still do some damage to playoff hopes. But, it's not near as bad as a potential loss against an AFC team competing with you for a playoff spot. Or even worse, losing your home field advantage for a divisional game matchup which could REALLY be a big blow to your chances.

London making money for the team is fine. Losing a home game against a division rival? Risky.

They should stick with AFC vs NFC match-ups over there.
^^ Sry bout swaying off-topic there.

Just agreeing that a little piece of the pie could go to the owner for agreeing to play divisional home games, you know, away from home.
[Image: how-i-met-your-mother_o_1045085.jpg]