Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tacks Trade DT Jurrell Casey to Denver for a 7th round pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So far, it's been a decent start to the new league year in terms ot losses for divisional foes for the Jaguars.

First, the Texans trade away WR DeAndre Hopkins for a hand ful of magic beans, and then the tacks give away Casey for a mere pittance.  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ell-casey/

Both of those guys have been major pains in the butt for the Jaguars over the years.  I am glad they are gone.
Yes, glad to see them both out of the division!
Wow. Had he declined that much? A 7th??
(03-18-2020, 12:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Wow. Had he declined that much?  A 7th??

I sure didn't notice that much of a decline in him. 

Not that I am shedding any tears fir the Tacks.

FWIW an outside perspective on the Casey and Hopkins trades.

https://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php
(03-18-2020, 01:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/ShopTalkingWigg/stat...09760?s=20

1.  Would rather face Simmons alone vs. Simmons and Casey.

2.  If Tacks had to deal Casey, I would rather they get just a 7th round pick instead of more.
Tennessee invested heavily in retaining Ryan Tannehill, despite that they are a run based team with a strong Defense. The trade of Jurrell Casey likely wouldn't have happened if not for the Tannehill contract.

Even with Casey now over 30, this trade likely is welcome news to the coaching staffs of the Jaguars, Colts, and Texans. Casey is a great fit for the Vic Fangio led Defense with the Broncos, a team that looks like could make a major jump forward in 2020.
I imagine we're freeing up cap space for a bigger move. Otherwise, the trade makes zero sense.
(03-18-2020, 02:13 PM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]Tennessee invested heavily in retaining Ryan Tannehill, despite that they are a run based team with a strong Defense.  The trade of Jurrell Casey likely wouldn't have happened if not for the Tannehill contract.  

Even with Casey now over 30,  this trade likely is welcome news to the coaching staffs of the Jaguars,  Colts, and Texans.   Casey is a great fit for the Vic Fangio led Defense with the Broncos,  a team that looks like could make a major jump forward in 2020.

I did not realize he was over 30.

That said, I still think they could have gotten more for him, and I'm still glad to see him gone.

(03-18-2020, 02:35 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine we're freeing up cap space for a bigger move.  Otherwise, the trade makes zero sense.

Freeing up cap space makes SOME sense, though I say this not knowing the tacks cap situation or his cap figure.

I just know Casey was a heckuva a player for you guys.
I would trade the Broncos a 6th right now for Casey. Profit for them less benefit to Tacks. Win win
(03-18-2020, 03:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-18-2020, 02:13 PM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]Tennessee invested heavily in retaining Ryan Tannehill, despite that they are a run based team with a strong Defense.  The trade of Jurrell Casey likely wouldn't have happened if not for the Tannehill contract.  

Even with Casey now over 30,  this trade likely is welcome news to the coaching staffs of the Jaguars,  Colts, and Texans.   Casey is a great fit for the Vic Fangio led Defense with the Broncos,  a team that looks like could make a major jump forward in 2020.

I did not realize he was over 30.

That said, I still think they could have gotten more for him, and I'm still glad to see him gone.

(03-18-2020, 02:35 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine we're freeing up cap space for a bigger move.  Otherwise, the trade makes zero sense.

Freeing up cap space makes SOME sense, though I say this not knowing the tacks cap situation or his cap figure.

I just know Casey was a heckuva a player for you guys.

Even with Jurrell Casey's base salary for 2020 being over $ 11 million,  I am surprised a 7th Round pick in return turned out to be the result.  

it will be interesting to see how Tennessee proceeds.  Linval Joseph,  who was mentioned as a possible option earlier in the thread, agreed to a 2 year contract with the LA Chargers this afternoon.  There are still some good interior Defensive Lineman options on the open market.  With another trade or the draft an option as well.  Yet, replacing Casey's snaps and intangibles is easier said than done.  Casey has been a player that shows up on the stat sheet and made other players around him better.
(03-18-2020, 03:51 PM)rufftime Wrote: [ -> ]I would trade the Broncos a 6th right now for Casey.  Profit for them less benefit to Tacks.  Win win

I definitely would make that trade if in the Jaguars position. The addition of Jurrell Casey,  when coupled with the UFA agreements the Jaguars made in their back 7 on Defense yesterday,  would likely change the conversation about the outlook for the team in the 2020, substantially.  Especially, with all of the draft capital the Jags already have.  At the very least,  Casey would be a very good locker room addition for what will be a young Jags team.  Having said all of this,  I think it would take much more for the Broncos to trade Casey.
Jurrell would undoubtedly yield better production immediately than a potential 6th round draft pick. Plus, he would be a good holdover for a younger interior lineman to rotate in and out of.

Doubt any trade like that would happen, but in theory, I like it.