Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Shipping to Hawaii
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I just found out I am going to Hawaii for threes years for a job that unfortunately doesn’t offer moving assistance. I know there’s a lot of knowledge on this forum and some military That might have experience with this. What is the best way to ship to Hawaii. I don’t have a ton of big stuff, but what I am seeing is 10k quotes for ABF or 5k for Ubox. For the stuff I have that seems like too much as I don’t plan to bring any major furniture. I have a family so we have some stuff like bikes that I thought I would try and take but I am wondering if it’s not worth it. I guess if I pack a bunch of big suitcases on the plane with all my clothes, how expensive would it be to replace everything else? I also have a cheap but reliable car, and I am not sure what’s available on the island in the 4K range (which is what my car is worth). Thanks for any suggestions.
Look into boxing up and literally shipping most of your belongings via USPS, UPS and FedEx. My cousin moved from PA to HI that way (selling his furniture and car, of course) and said it was a whole lot cheaper than shipping large crates via ship would have been.
I’d take inventoryof what you have. Surely you won’t want to replace everything. You may find a happy medium. Sell off some things and ship some like TJB said. Replace what you need. Or you just might find 5/10k is worth not having the hassle of showing up with just clothes.
(03-20-2020, 07:43 AM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I’d take inventoryof what you have.   Surely you won’t want to replace everything.  You may find a happy medium.  Sell off some things and ship some like TJB said.  Replace what you need.  Or you just might find 5/10k is worth not having the hassle of showing up with just clothes.

This is exactly where I am if we relocate to Texas.  I'm weighing the cost of moving everything to just selling everything (except for my electronics and whatever I can fit in my pickup) and rebuying when I get out there.  It also helps that a good friend has his own estate sale company.  Also may have to finally utilize that trailer hitch that my neighbor gave me.  Of course, a trailer hitch probably wouldn't be very useful in the Pacific Ocean.