Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags sign run stuffing DT Al Woods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomPelissero/...8777586693

Nice to see we are getting bigger up front.

Anybody know anything about the guy?

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2020/0...-al-woods/
33 year old run stuffer. meh
(03-23-2020, 10:17 PM)KABD Wrote: [ -> ]33 year old run stuffer.  meh

I'm not argue #championship, but I'm glad to see them making a small investment in a proven run stuffer instead of throwing the bag at one, or investing an early pick...
He had a solid PFF grade, and I presume his run grade is even stronger (will update with it tomorrow if no one else does). Hopefully he keeps us from making the Brown at 9 error now.

Seahawks fans wanted to keep him around, good sign.
He's a decent rotational veteran NT.
(03-23-2020, 10:38 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]He had a solid PFF grade, and I presume his run grade is even stronger (will update with it tomorrow if no one else does). Hopefully he keeps us from making the Brown at 9 error now.

This is setting us up to take O-line, Kinlaw, or receiver at #9. Brown needs to be Aaron Donald and massively pressure the QB to be a top 10 pick. If he's mostly a run stuffer, resign the rehabbed Dareus when he returns and we've got that already.
Brown and Woods on the interior on short yardage downs sounds good
(03-23-2020, 10:59 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 10:38 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]He had a solid PFF grade, and I presume his run grade is even stronger (will update with it tomorrow if no one else does). Hopefully he keeps us from making the Brown at 9 error now.

This is setting us up to take O-line, Kinlaw, or receiver at #9. Brown needs to be Aaron Donald and massively pressure the QB to be a top 10 pick. If he's mostly a run stuffer, resign the rehabbed Dareus when he returns and we've got that already.

You dont need to be Aaron Donald to be a top 10 pick lol.  Brown is a monster and draws double teams on the regular, one guy can rarely block him.  If Brown some how fell to 9 it would be like us getting Allen last year at 7.
(03-23-2020, 11:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 10:59 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]This is setting us up to take O-line, Kinlaw, or receiver at #9. Brown needs to be Aaron Donald and massively pressure the QB to be a top 10 pick. If he's mostly a run stuffer, resign the rehabbed Dareus when he returns and we've got that already.

You dont need to be Aaron Donald to be a top 10 pick lol.  Brown is a monster and draws double teams on the regular, one guy can rarely block him.  If Brown some how fell to 9 it would be like us getting Allen last year at 7.

Allen at #7 required a team making a disastrous pick where as Brown can pretty easily make it to #9 without teams making bad picks. Thats just his range

https://twitter.com/JCohen_NFL/status/11...9003771904

Woods is a v good run defender and cheap, great phase 4 FA signing
(03-23-2020, 11:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 11:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]You dont need to be Aaron Donald to be a top 10 pick lol.  Brown is a monster and draws double teams on the regular, one guy can rarely block him.  If Brown some how fell to 9 it would be like us getting Allen last year at 7.

Allen at #7 required a team making a disastrous pick where as Brown can pretty easily make it to #9 without teams making bad picks. Thats just his range

DJ has him as his 2nd rated player so I wouldn't say 9 is his range.  He probably wont make it to 9, the only reason Allen fell last year is because a few QBs were taken which this year 3 QBs could be taken this year before we pick so there is a slim chance he falls.  Allen was the 4th defender taken last year, Brown will probably be the 4th defender taken this year
Brown is actually a higher rated player than Allen was last year. We can only pray for us to luck out 2 years in a row and get a player as good as Brown is at 9. This draft is also deeper at the top than last years so there is that

Brown
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/derrick-br...b669a1b580

Allen
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-allen...4fa0fc8823
(03-23-2020, 11:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 11:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Allen at #7 required a team making a disastrous pick where as Brown can pretty easily make it to #9 without teams making bad picks. Thats just his range

DJ has him as his 2nd rated player so I wouldn't say 9 is his range.  He probably wont make it to 9, the only reason Allen fell last year is because a few QBs were taken which this year 3 QBs could be taken this year before we pick so there is a slim chance he falls.  Allen was the 4th defender taken last year, Brown will probably be the 4th defender taken this year

9 isn't a range. Around 7-12 would be his range , so wouldn't be a surprise if he was there to me. Allen was massive surprise nobody expected
(03-23-2020, 11:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 11:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]DJ has him as his 2nd rated player so I wouldn't say 9 is his range.  He probably wont make it to 9, the only reason Allen fell last year is because a few QBs were taken which this year 3 QBs could be taken this year before we pick so there is a slim chance he falls.  Allen was the 4th defender taken last year, Brown will probably be the 4th defender taken this year

9 isn't a range. Around 7-12 would be his range , so wouldn't be a surprise if he was there to me. Allen was massive surprise nobody expected

I'll be shocked if Brown falls to 9.
(03-23-2020, 11:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 11:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]9 isn't a range. Around 7-12 would be his range , so wouldn't be a surprise if he was there to me. Allen was massive surprise nobody expected

Here's how I see his top 10 options 

1) Bengals : no 
2) Washington : no 
3) Lions : no (maybe if they trade back) 
4) giants : no (yes it's gettleman but I'd say there's like 4 prospects they'd rather have here) 
5) Miami: no 
6) Chargers: no
7) Panthers : maybe, think they'd go Simmons over him over one of the tackles but it's possible here for sure 
8) Cardinals: maybe 
9) Jags: maybe 
10) Browns: maybe

So I'd expect him to land in that range more than I would go top 5 personally
This is a good signing in my opinion. Last year, when teams started running on us, we had no answer. At least this year, we will have a few new options to put out there.
(03-24-2020, 01:09 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 11:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be shocked if Brown falls to 9.

Here's how I see his top 10 options 

1) Bengals : no 
2) Washington : no 
3) Lions : no (maybe if they trade back) 
4) giants : no (yes it's gettleman but I'd say there's like 4 prospects they'd rather have here) 
5) Miami: no 
6) Chargers: no
7) Panthers : maybe, think they'd go Simmons over him over one of the tackles but it's possible here for sure 
8) Cardinals: maybe 
9) Jags: maybe 
10) Browns: maybe

So I'd expect him to land in that range more than I would go top 5 personally

I could see the Panthers picking Brown.

They just lost Dontari Poe, Vernon Butler and Gerald McCoy.

They still have Kawann Short, but he is coming off a serious injury and is 31 yo.
The guy has played in 14 out of 16 games every season since 2013, (he was suspended 4 games in 2016) and started all 16 for the clots in 2017. Guy may not be a world beater, but hes a solid body in the middle.
(03-24-2020, 08:10 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]The guy has played in 14 out of 16 games every season since 2013, (he was suspended 4 games in 2016) and started all 16 for the clots in 2017.  Guy may not be a world beater, but hes a solid body in the middle.

The best ability is availability.
(03-23-2020, 11:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 11:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]9 isn't a range. Around 7-12 would be his range , so wouldn't be a surprise if he was there to me. Allen was massive surprise nobody expected

You've looked at a mock draft recently right? More of them have Brown falling to us or later than not now. He's clearly behind Young, Okudah, and Simmons. Then throw in a QB and an OT or two or three and it's not even close to the same surprise as Allen was.
(03-24-2020, 08:26 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2020, 11:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be shocked if Brown falls to 9.

You've looked at a mock draft recently right? More of them have Brown falling to us or later than not now. He's clearly behind Young, Okudah, and Simmons. Then throw in a QB and an OT or two or three and it's not even close to the same surprise as Allen was.

I spent exactly zero time thinking about Josh Allen as a Jaguar because it was so unlikely he'd make it there to me. Think most people were in that boat
Pages: 1 2 3