Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Collapse Of The Jacksonville Jaguars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Courtesy of Set The Edge. Pretty good YT Channel in general. Great summary of what we've all said over the last few years on here. Cheers. 

https://youtu.be/Nc1S-0iqvz0
How can something collapse that had one outlier year?
(03-27-2020, 08:33 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]How can something collapse that had one outlier year?

Gotta side with Rico.  Varying degrees of suck since 2008.
The team's downfall stared when Coughlin was hired for the second time.

NH3...
(03-27-2020, 09:28 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]The team's downfall stared when Coughlin was hired for the second time.

NH3...

Yeah, because the team was so good before that lol
(03-27-2020, 08:33 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]How can something collapse that had one outlier year?

The potential and the players who were drafted were supposed to be the future. It seemed like we were finally turning the corner going up. 1 quarter away from the super bowl. A good amount of young talent, then everything collapsed and now, we are here. So there def was a collapse
Ouch. The truth hurts.
I agree with NH3 for once. Coughlin ruined the trajectory of the team IMO.
Scapegoating is easy and convenient, but this team would still be very bad if they never rehired Coughlin. Dave's bad drafting was covered up by the facade of spending and spending and spending in FA. Unfortunately it left the team talented but extremely hollow and vulnerable to collapse. Just a little age, a little injury, a little regression, etc and a defense that was made up of more than have high price free agents suddenly falls off.

If anything, this video went light on the disaster that has been the Jaguars since Shad and Caldwell took over.
It starts with poor ownership and not hliring/firing the the right people. Kahn hides behind Cauldwell and allows Cauldwell to sink the ship. Kahn has had this team for several years and is working on his second rebuild and has virtually nothing to show for it.
No franchise QB is the story that’s it. We had a nice overall team but nothing is sustainable without a real QB, and until we have one we will continue to lose games and lose good players to trades/FA. It’s been the same story since Brunell.

When they signed Bortles to that extension, that 2017 group was toast. Was a ticking time bomb until it exploded.
(03-28-2020, 04:47 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]No franchise QB is the story that’s it. We had a nice overall team but nothing is sustainable without a real QB, and until we have one we will continue to lose games and lose good players to trades/FA. It’s been the same story since Brunell.

When they signed Bortles to that extension, that 2017 group was toast. Was a ticking time bomb until it exploded.

Yup, should have went after Kirk cousins when they had that D but didn't listen to me.  I know you know it alls will say cousins suck, at least he can naturally throw a football to a rb out on the flat and not try to aim it.
(03-28-2020, 03:23 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Scapegoating is easy and convenient, but this team would still be very bad if they never rehired Coughlin. Dave's bad drafting was covered up by the facade of spending and spending and spending in FA. Unfortunately it left the team talented but extremely hollow and vulnerable to collapse. Just a little age, a little injury, a little regression, etc and a defense that was made up of more than have high price free agents suddenly falls off.

If anything, this video went light on the disaster that has been the Jaguars since Shad and Caldwell took over.

Exactly.

Only slow people think everything was Coughlin's fault.
I mean it’s not hard to figure out why we’ve sucked for 2 decades

How many 1st round picks are still on our team?
To the Harvey’s, Gabberts, Blackmons, Joeckels, Bortles, Fowler’s, Ramsey’s...

We are terrible at drafting talent in rounds that matter

Good point. Anyone who was paying attention knew 2017 was an outlier even as it was happening.
(03-28-2020, 06:17 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]I mean it’s not hard to figure out why we’ve sucked for 2 decades

How many 1st round picks are still on our team?
To the Harvey’s, Gabberts, Blackmons, Joeckels, Bortles, Fowler’s, Ramsey’s...

We are terrible at drafting talent in rounds that matter

[music] Two of these things are not like the others... Two of these things just do not belong [/music]
Lets face it: the new uniforms doomed us. Also, we literally completely got rid of gold because Tom Coughlin said so. I’m not talking about the helmets, those needed to change. But we literally have no other gold accents in our uniforms, which is what they are missing IMO. The new uniforms doomed us and you can’t tell me otherwise. The crappy 2013 era unis were finally starting to show their magic, they were unique, they represented that 2017 team so well. It’s a shame, really.
(03-28-2020, 05:05 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2020, 04:47 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]No franchise QB is the story that’s it. We had a nice overall team but nothing is sustainable without a real QB, and until we have one we will continue to lose games and lose good players to trades/FA. It’s been the same story since Brunell.

Yup, should have went after Kirk cousins when they had that D but didn't listen to me.  I know you know it alls will say cousins suck, at least he can naturally throw a football to a rb out on the flat and not try to aim it.

For some reason I don't believe that. If we would have kept all of the same players, I think would have been able to duplicate our success for at least 3 years. Bortles did just enough, and could have worked on adding a qb in while at the same time, replacing the older veterans with solid drafy picks.

The franchise qb stuff is overrated. They help but they don't guarantee success. You need a solid team overall with coaches and a front office that understand the game and know what they are doing. If we had that, we would still be competing.
(03-29-2020, 10:58 AM)D-Money Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2020, 05:05 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, should have went after Kirk cousins when they had that D but didn't listen to me.  I know you know it alls will say cousins suck, at least he can naturally throw a football to a rb out on the flat and not try to aim it.

For some reason I don't believe that. If we would have kept all of the same players, I think would have been able to duplicate our success for at least 3 years. Bortles did just enough, and could have worked on adding a qb in while at the same time, replacing the older veterans with solid drafy picks.

The franchise qb stuff is overrated. They help but they don't guarantee success. You need a solid team overall with coaches and a front office that understand the game and know what they are doing. If we had that, we would still be competing.

You’re just straight up wrong. a Franchise QB is everything in today’s game.. look at the Chiefs. They weren’t the best team in the NFL at all, but they had the best QB.
(03-29-2020, 09:53 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]Lets face it: the new uniforms doomed us. Also, we literally completely got rid of gold because Tom Coughlin said so. I’m not talking about the helmets, those needed to change. But we literally have no other gold accents in our uniforms, which is what they are missing IMO. The new uniforms doomed us and you can’t tell me otherwise. The crappy 2013 era unis were finally starting to show their magic, they were unique, they represented that 2017 team so well. It’s a shame, really.

Man, this really goes well with all of your other commentary!
Pages: 1 2