Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: RB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I’d like to snag another back in the 6th or 7th round to compete with the rookie from last year. 

A back with some wiggle. 

Random question, did shady really fall off that quick? He would be perfect at 31 years old.
I'd take one in the 3rd or 4th round. Antonio Gibson or Darrynton Evans especially, for the reasons you said. Our offense sorely needs someone who can make something happen with the ball in their hands.
Armstead is the JF27 replacement next year, so we need a guy this year to move into the back up role.
There's a back in the draft this year that'll be better than Fournette, Armstead, and a 31-year old Shady. We just have to figure out who he is, and draft him before someone else does.
Draft one in the fourth and trade Gumbo.
With as many picks as we have, sure, why not draft one on day 3?
I'd take Akers in the second round. He played behind the worst offensive line in college football and was still a scoring machine. Fournette's gone after next year anyway, and I just don't see Armstead as a starter.
(04-13-2020, 12:42 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]With as many picks as we have, sure, why not draft one on day 3?

It really does feel nice that we have so much ammo this year. We’ve only had 2 first round picks one other time in 1998 with Taylor and Darius. 

I wouldn’t mind trading out of the first round and scoring even more picks.
(04-13-2020, 11:35 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I’d like to snag another back in the 6th or 7th round to compete with the rookie from last year. 

A back with some wiggle. 

Random question, did shady really fall off that quick? He would be perfect at 31 years old.

The front office severely underestimated the need for speed via a change of pace at the RB position.  Corey Grant served that role pretty well (at a very low salary) until his injury

(04-13-2020, 12:46 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]I'd take Akers in the second round. He played behind the worst offensive line in college football and was still a scoring machine. Fournette's gone after next year anyway, and I just don't see Armstead as a starter.

I'd love this but have to admit that we have so many holes to address so it's tough to justify this luxury pick.  He'd be perfect for the Steelers who have a great OL and are still attempting to replace LaVeon (James Conner gets injured and fumbles a lot)
Cam Akers is my pick, presumably in the third round
(04-13-2020, 02:56 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/profootball411/statu...81697?s=21

Chris Thompson --- SWEET !!!  DUDE'S A 1,000 RUSHER.   Unfortunately, it took him 7 years to get there (1,194 total career rushing yards).   

5 TDs and only 9 Fumbles.  

Wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins didn't already use the Franchise Tag on him.  No way he hits the open market.
(04-13-2020, 11:55 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a back in the draft this year that'll be better than Fournette, Armstead, and a 31-year old Shady.  We just have to figure out who he is, and draft him before someone else does.

That's Coughlin's way of thinking, but the last few years of SB champs shows you can win with a mediocre backfield. No need to snag anyone in the first three rounds unless the #1 guy on the board falls and he's head and shoulders above anyone at a premium position at that spot. 

But again, if you have a formidable passing attack and a good line, average backs can suddenly generate a lot of wiggle. Then they sign with the Jaguars and fizzle (see Hyde, Carlos).
(04-13-2020, 03:31 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2020, 11:55 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a back in the draft this year that'll be better than Fournette, Armstead, and a 31-year old Shady.  We just have to figure out who he is, and draft him before someone else does.

That's Coughlin's way of thinking, but the last few years of SB champs shows you can win with a mediocre backfield. No need to snag anyone in the first three rounds unless the #1 guy on the board falls and he's head and shoulders above anyone at a premium position at that spot. 

But again, if you have a formidable passing attack and a good line, average backs can suddenly generate a lot of wiggle. Then they sign with the Jaguars and fizzle (see Hyde, Carlos).

Didn't mean to imply that we overdraft the position like we did with Fournette, or become a run-first (or run-only) team.  The year we picked Fournette, Dalvin Cook was picked at 41, Joe Mixon at 48, Alvin Kamara at 67, Kareem Hunt at 86, D'Onta Foreman at 89, James Conner at 105.  That's more the kind of value I'm talking about, and probably the kind of choice we'll be able to make this year.

I agree you must have a passing threat to properly set up the run, and a great line is like gold.  I am also saying I'm not impressed with our current backfield.
(04-13-2020, 03:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2020, 02:56 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/profootball411/statu...81697?s=21

Chris Thompson --- SWEET !!!  DUDE'S A 1,000 RUSHER.   Unfortunately, it took him 7 years to get there (1,194 total career rushing yards).   

5 TDs and only 9 Fumbles.  

Wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins didn't already use the Franchise Tag on him.  No way he hits the open market.

He’s a 3rd down back not the second coming of Marshall Faulk. Not sure what you were expecting exactly? I would suggest start by looking at total yard stats.
(04-13-2020, 02:02 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Cam Akers is my pick, presumably in the third round

I would love if this happens. But I don’t think Caldwell will do it.
If we end up with 10+ picks this draft, I really want two from this list that should be available in 4th and 5th rounds. Armstead is meh.

Antonio Gibson
Darrynton Evans
Anthony McFarland
AJ Dillon
Lamical Perine
we have really been missing having a quicker change of pace back. Addressing that would add some explosiveness tot he offense.
Can we bring a FB back into the fold before spending more money on a RB that will get hit two yards behind the line? We have been more successful with moreso than without.(not ignoring that OL is an issue of need as well)
Eno Bejamin would be a great value in the 4th or 5th round.
Pages: 1 2