Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Beating Indy in Week 17 cost us Derrick Brown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For all of you that enjoy meaningless wins, the win over Indy cost us 3 spots in the draft (would have been #6 with a week 17 loss).

.... personally, I guess I'm ok with drafting Reggie Nelson 2.0 with pick #9 but I get that feeling we're going to be looking back wondering "what if"
Sad that people still scout helmets so much
(04-24-2020, 11:01 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]For all of you that enjoy meaningless wins, the win over Indy cost us 3 spots in the draft (would have been #6 with a week 17 loss).

.... personally, I guess I'm ok with drafting Reggie Nelson 2.0 with pick #9 but I get that feeling we're going to be looking back wondering "what if"

'Cost us Derrick Brown'. 

How in the world do you know that was going to be the pick even if they were in that spot?
I know right? How dare the professional football players and coaches try to win a game. The nerve!
Cost us Brown? Please stop...

Winning>losing

Always.

Also: Nelson played safety, Henderson is a shut down corner. Try to keep up.
Water is wet. Been saying this for months. These people don't care. They want mediocrity in perpetuity. Sad sacks.
(04-24-2020, 11:10 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Cost us Brown? Please stop...

Winning>losing

Alway

Disagree.

Within the context of draft position, in the absence of playoff contention, it isn't.

What was better for the Colts...beating the Jaguars at the end of the 2011 season or ending up with Andrew Luck for the next 7-8 years?

I submit even with the disappointment of his early retirement last year, the Colts would rather have Andrew Luck than that week 17 win over the Jaguars when neither team was close to going anywhere.
Meh, as much as I wanted Brown, give me the wins. It was also good for Minshews development. There will be other great players in this draft hopefully Dave hits on a few.
I always take the win and let the chips fall where they fall. Brown could tear his ACL in the first practice like Fowler. Anything can happen.

That meaningless win could slot us somewhere down in the 4th or 5th round that gives us a stud LB or something.

Play for the win and deal with what’s in front of you.
I’m no football genius, but I honestly don’t believe that not losing enough is the problem with this franchise.
It's a moot point, because no one is going to lose on purpose.
(04-24-2020, 01:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 11:10 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Cost us Brown? Please stop...

Winning>losing

Alway

Disagree.

Within the context of draft position, in the absence of playoff contention, it isn't.

What was better for the Colts...beating the Jaguars at the end of the 2011 season or ending up with Andrew Luck for the next 7-8 years?

I submit even with the disappointment of his early retirement last year, the Colts would rather have Andrew Luck than that week 17 win over the Jaguars when neither team was close to going anywhere.

Agree to Disagree.

I will always want to see my team win. Always. The draft is what it is and I don't think "missing out" on Brown is going to be a thing. If we had gotten Brown, we'd have zilch at CB. There was a run at the position and the best available at 20 was like the 5th or 6th best CB? 
BTW....
How many rings did Luck win the clots? So the end result wasn't that great for them... ya'll wanna talk about meaningless games lol the clots were better than us for 7-8 years and never won a Superbowl with that "generational talent".
Now they are hitching their hopes to old man Rivers and next season will be back in the "need a QB" group.

- shrug - I will never want to suck for player x or tank for player y
Losers like losing, losers want to lose. I'd rather win.
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Being ok with losing is not cool imo. I know we as fans we always want the best player possible but if I was in there playing, no way I play to lose.
(04-24-2020, 03:01 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Being ok with losing is not cool imo. I know we as fans we always want the best player possible but if I was in there playing, no way I play to lose.

If I'm sitting there watching the game and engrossed in the moment, I'd want the team to do well.  I'd be pissed with bonehead plays, etc. like any other game.

But when draft position is tied to the W-L record, and wins and losses can mean the difference between getting a franchise QB or not, then the broader picture is preferable.

It takes talent to win...period.
(04-24-2020, 03:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 03:01 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

If I'm sitting there watching the game and engrossed in the moment, I'd want the team to do well.  I'd be pissed with bonehead plays, etc. like any other game.

But when draft position is tied to the W-L record, and wins and losses can mean the difference between getting a franchise QB or not, then the broader picture is preferable.

It takes talent to win...period.

There were a lot of people here not on board with Brown at 9

In your opinion was Brown THAT MUCH better of a selection than Henderson? It takes talent to win. Henderson is certainly talented.
Had we gotten Brown at 9, who would our CB at 20 been? Damon Arnette? Or perhaps we had to wait to pick 42 and get whatever is left currently? Not shut down CBs according to what most draft niks are saying. It was Okudah/Henderson, then the rest of the guys were a mixed bag.

I just don't get the hand wringing about being pick 9 instead of pick 7.....
Especially if we're splitting hairs over good players at positions of need. It isn't like we missed out on a franchise QB. We can still get a run stuff NT in this draft... We can still land a really good WR. We still have the ability to get a good RB and some interior OL depth.
Hell, we got a shot at Josh Jones if people are still hell bent about getting an OT
(04-24-2020, 11:01 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]For all of you that enjoy meaningless wins, the win over Indy cost us 3 spots in the draft (would have been #6 with a week 17 loss).

Nelson wasnt a corner.  

Also, you dont take a DT that high unless he rushes the passer on water.