Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Inside Jacksonville's war room: Jaguars get their guys in Round 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Inside Jacksonville's war room: Jaguars get their guys in Round 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...in-round-1

Michael Silver takes you inside the Jacksonville Jaguars' first round, where GM Dave Caldwell and head coach Doug Marrone began a defensive retool with cornerback CJ Henderson and edge rushe
A very good read!

I thought the trade talk was most interesting.

Quote:As the New York Giants prepared to make the fourth overall selection, Caldwell received a call from Dimitroff, who proposed a potential trade that would send Atlanta's pick (16th overall), along with third- and fourth-round choices, to Jacksonville for the No. 9 overall selection. Shortly thereafter, he spoke to Douglas, who was poised to include a fourth-round pick to move from 11 to 9.

After hanging up, Caldwell told the Khans, Marrone and others in the Jags' video conference, "If we trade back to 11, I think the Jets will take a tackle, but we have to worry about Atlanta going to 10 and taking one of the guys (we're targeting). If we go to 11, we have to be comfortable with CJ Henderson, Chaisson or (Alabama receiver) Jerry Jeudy. The value with the Jets' trade is good, according to the analytics. With Atlanta, the analytics say we lose the trade. We can say yes to the Jets, just as long as you're OK with (possibly) taking a receiver -- which is fine."

So it could have been a little better (trading down to 11, picking up a 4, and still getting Henderson or Jeudy), or much worse (trading down and taking Chaisson at 11).
(04-24-2020, 02:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]A very good read!

Quote:As the New York Giants prepared to make the fourth overall selection, Caldwell received a call from Dimitroff, who proposed a potential trade that would send Atlanta's pick (16th overall), along with third- and fourth-round choices, to Jacksonville for the No. 9 overall selection. Shortly thereafter, he spoke to Douglas, who was poised to include a fourth-round pick to move from 11 to 9.

After hanging up, Caldwell told the Khans, Marrone and others in the Jags' video conference, "If we trade back to 11, I think the Jets will take a tackle, but we have to worry about Atlanta going to 10 and taking one of the guys (we're targeting). If we go to 11, we have to be comfortable with CJ Henderson, Chaisson or (Alabama receiver) Jerry Jeudy. The value with the Jets' trade is good, according to the analytics. With Atlanta, the analytics say we lose the trade. We can say yes to the Jets, just as long as you're OK with (possibly) taking a receiver -- which is fine."

So it could have been a little better (trading down to 11, picking up a 4, and still getting Henderson or Jeudy), or much worse (trading down and taking Chaisson at 11).

Looks like Jefferson was in consideration at 20 as well. Looks like we could see a WR taken today then if that’s the case.
(04-24-2020, 02:05 PM)Jaxson Wrote: [ -> ]Inside Jacksonville's war room: Jaguars get their guys in Round 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...in-round-1

Michael Silver takes you inside the Jacksonville Jaguars' first round, where GM Dave Caldwell and head coach Doug Marrone began a defensive retool with cornerback CJ Henderson and edge rushe

Why is Michael Silver anywhere NEAR the Jaguars war room? He was supposed have been social-distanced away from Duval years ago. I still say the Jaguars gave the local media red meat (Gator first round pick and "consulting fees") to prevent them from speaking up about TWO London home games.

Our ownership. The media's players. Jaguars Fans have NOTHING.
Hilarious how on the other hand this dude "Dilla" is taken like a real source by people here and the guy had absolutely nothing for the draft haha
Tee Higgins in round 2?
(04-24-2020, 02:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]

Looks like Jefferson was in consideration at 20 as well. Looks like we could see a WR taken today then if that’s the case.

As deep as WR is, I am concerned about being unable to trade up and a run at WR happens and takes our guy off the board.

The current round 2 draft order above us currently stands accordingly

33.  Cincinnati
34.  Indy
35.  Detroit
36.  NY Giants
37.  New England
38.  Carolina
39.  Miami
40.  Houston
41.  Cleveland
42.  Jacksonville

Just on a needs basis, Cincinnati, Indy, the Giants, New Englans, Miami and Houston could all go WRs.  This doesn't factor in a BAP pick.

(04-24-2020, 02:48 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Tee Higgins in round 2?

I think he would be a good fit.
(04-24-2020, 02:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 02:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like Jefferson was in consideration at 20 as well. Looks like we could see a WR taken today then if that’s the case.

As deep as WR is, I am concerned about being unable to trade up and a run at WR happens and takes our guy off the board.

33.  Cincinnati
34.  Indy
35.  Detroit
36.  NY Giants
37.  New England
38.  Carolina
39.  Miami
40.  Houston
41.  Cleveland
42.  Jacksonville

Just on a needs basis, Cincinnati, Indy, the Giants, New Englans, Miami and Houston could all go WRs.  This doesn't factor in a BAP pick.

The more I read about that Antonio Gandy-Golden kid out of Liberty, the more I like him: BIG (6'4/220), HIGH character, and can body the heck out of the ball. Kid solves rubik's cubes in like a minute, can bowl a 300 game, and does back flips.  He doesn't have blazing speed, but that is what Chark is for.  He looks like one of those high character/high moral guys the team is looking for.
(04-24-2020, 02:45 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Hilarious how on the other hand this dude "Dilla" is taken like a real source by people here and the guy had absolutely nothing for the draft haha

Caldwell has shown to be extremely tight about draft info

I think he really enjoys the "game" that is the Draft. Silver's article really highlights this
(04-24-2020, 03:01 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 02:45 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Hilarious how on the other hand this dude "Dilla" is taken like a real source by people here and the guy had absolutely nothing for the draft haha

Caldwell has shown to be extremely tight about draft info

I think he really enjoys the "game" that is the Draft. Silver's article really highlights this

At least he is good at that. Ninja
(04-24-2020, 02:57 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 02:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]As deep as WR is, I am concerned about being unable to trade up and a run at WR happens and takes our guy off the board.

33.  Cincinnati
34.  Indy
35.  Detroit
36.  NY Giants
37.  New England
38.  Carolina
39.  Miami
40.  Houston
41.  Cleveland
42.  Jacksonville

The more I read about that Antonio Gandy-Golden kid out of Liberty, the more I like him: BIG (6'4/220), HIGH character, and can body the heck out of the ball. Kid solves rubik's cubes in like a minute, can bowl a 300 game, and does back flips.  He doesn't have blazing speed, but that is what Chark is for.  He looks like one of those high character/high moral guys the team is looking for.

He’s one of “my guys”. I think he’ll be a beast in the league, especially under McCardell’s guidance. Along with Van Jefferson. Both may be available in the 3rd. 

I know the Jags are pretty high on Mims as well so he may be in consideration if they go WR early.

(04-24-2020, 02:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 02:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like Jefferson was in consideration at 20 as well. Looks like we could see a WR taken today then if that’s the case.

33.  Cincinnati
34.  Indy
35.  Detroit
36.  NY Giants
37.  New England
38.  Carolina
39.  Miami
40.  Houston
41.  Cleveland
42.  Jacksonville

I wouldn’t worry about that too much. It seems to be virtually agreed around the league that starting WRs in this particular class can be found thru round 4/5.
(04-24-2020, 02:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]As deep as WR is, I am concerned about being unable to trade up and a run at WR happens and takes our guy off the board.

33.  Cincinnati
34.  Indy
35.  Detroit
36.  NY Giants
37.  New England
38.  Carolina
39.  Miami
40.  Houston
41.  Cleveland
42.  Jacksonville

That part in bold is impressive as hell. 

I could never solve those things legitimately if I lived to be a million!   Laughing

Aside from the fact Caldwell generally avoids smaller school guys, based upon the little I've seen of him, he seems like a good fit opposite Chark.

I'd prefer Pittman or Higgins first, but if it comes to getting a WR in the 4th or 5th, I'd be for this guy or Tyler Johnson.
(04-24-2020, 02:57 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]The more I read about that Antonio Gandy-Golden kid out of Liberty, the more I like him: BIG (6'4/220), HIGH character, and can body the heck out of the ball. Kid solves rubik's cubes in like a minute, can bowl a 300 game, and does back flips.  He doesn't have blazing speed, but that is what Chark is for.  He looks like one of those high character/high moral guys the team is looking for.

Sound like a true no.2/ big possession receiver. Might help with the Red Zone/lack of TE production.
[/quote]

Sounds like he could be the halftime entertainment twice a year, too.
(04-24-2020, 03:29 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]The more I read about that Antonio Gandy-Golden kid out of Liberty, the more I like him: BIG (6'4/220), HIGH character, and can body the heck out of the ball. Kid solves rubik's cubes in like a minute, can bowl a 300 game, and does back flips.  He doesn't have blazing speed, but that is what Chark is for.  He looks like one of those high character/high moral guys the team is looking for.

Sounds like he could be the halftime entertainment twice a year, too.
[/quote]

Especially if he does it all at the same time!

With that body type, with McCardell's guidance he could really excel in a "Thunder" receiver roll.
Every single draft Dave says that they got the top guy on their board and gets guys that they have graded in the 1st round in the 2nd and so on.

At some point everyone has to realize that his board is just utterly atrocious right??
(04-24-2020, 03:49 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Every single draft Dave says that they got the top guy on their board and gets guys that they have graded in the 1st round in the 2nd and so on.

At some point everyone has to realize that his board is just utterly atrocious right??

dont all GMs say that
(04-24-2020, 04:09 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 03:49 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Every single draft Dave says that they got the top guy on their board and gets guys that they have graded in the 1st round in the 2nd and so on.

dont all GMs say that

Probably. Other GMs have track records that are not among the worst in history to get X amount of attempts at it.

Article states after the Cards picked Simmons and not an OT...the Jets called and said they no longer wanted to trade.

So the former was no longer an option.

33.  Cincinnati
34.  Indy
35.  Detroit
36.  NY Giants
37.  New England
38.  Carolina
39.  Miami
40.  Houston
41.  Cleveland
42.  Jacksonville

I agree, Gandy-Golden has been my draft crush for a while now. He's every bit as good as Ceedee Lamb imho but is overlooked due to going to a small school; I hope we take a flyer on him in the 4th or 5th today