Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Firesky's Filmroom - CJ Henderson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone, sorry i haven't been as active as of late as work was my focus for most of march & april. But i'm back with another edition of Firesky's Filmroom. the last film breakdown I did about Gardner Minshew around the end of preseason/when he took over for Foles week 1 was wildly popular and blew up more than I could've ever imagined to be a 50-60 page thread. This time I wanted to do a breakdown of CJ Henderson, the first of our 1st round picks last night as I saw from the board that it was a bit of a divisive pick and a lot of ppl were angry or disappointed with him being picked at #9. and tbh, the more I watch of this kid the more convinced I am that it was a good pick, and the RIGHT pick. I mentioned in a thread about 2 weeks ago that I thought he was climbing boards and was being projected wayyy too low in most mocks. 

The film sample we'll be using for this is Henderson's road game match up against Jamar Chase from LSU this past season (the Biletnikoff winner and by far the best WR in college football): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Xdc5ehBB8

The sample covers every target that Henderson got on the night, and we're gonna break it down play by play:

Q1 15:00 - 1st & 10 - Henderson is lined up at RCB on the boundary side, Gators are in zone (disguised Cover-3 with CJ responsible for the deep 3rd down the left sideline) with Henderson sitting 9 yards from the L.O.S. and lined up against Thaddeus Moss with Chase in the slot:
The ball is thrown underneath to chase in the flat, Henderson recognizes the play and comes up to help the LB who's responsible for the flat, lands a glancing blow but ultimately doesn't make the tackle and the result of the play is a first down for Chase & LSU. [Chase wasn't his assignment but his play recognition was great and he came up to try and make a play; his tackling was poor and that seems to be his "Achilles heel"]

Q1 13:07 - 1st & 10 - Henderson is lined up at RCB in man coverage on Chase 3 yards off with an outside shade on the boundary side:
Chase runs a fade down the left sideline, Henderson shows great trail technique and runs with Chase step for step and gets his hand up to knock away the would be deep TD. Perfectly played by Henderson, beautiful pass breakup.

Q1 10:27 - 1st & 10 - Henderson is lined up at LCB in man coverage on Chase, 2 yards off, head up shade on the boundary side:
This ends up being a long run play down inside the 5 yard line, but Henderson gets on his horse, keeps the angle on the RB which allows the FS to come from behind to make the tackle, CJ is right there at the end of the play & in position to help make the tackle if needed. just like the last play, another example of his speed, and keeping the angle in the open field was another positive sign.

Q1 10:01 - 1st & 10 RZ - Henderson is lined up at RCB on the boundary side Henderson & the FS are in "brackets" (which means he's responsible for anything "out" towards the sideline or deep, his FS has the "ins" and anything going towards the hash marks/middle of the field) against Chase who's the lone WR in a goal-line-run formation. Ball at the 9 CJ is 7 yards off with an outside shade:
Burrow reads the FS (Brad Stewart #2), who bites on the play action and the in breaking slant route is now wide open, CJ realizes this and moves in to try and make the play, he gets his hand in the mix but is just a hair late to stop the pass for a score. While the TD is officially attributed as being "allowed" by Henderson the failure on the play comes from the FS who over committed against the run & left Henderson out to dry. 

Q1 2:38 - 3rd & 2 - Henderson is in man coverage against Chase, 7 yards off the L.O.S. with an outside shade:
The ball is dumped to the slot receiver Jefferson who runs a flat route, Henderson recognizes this and drives on the play. He comes up and lays a nice hit on Jeffersons lower body to stop him short of the first and get the Gators defense off the field. Another great example of his play recognition and twitchy athleticism to drive on the receiver who's not his assignment to make the play. 

Q2 - No targets against CJ Henderson.

Q3 9:46 - 1st & 10 - Henderson is lined up at LCB in zone coverage (cover-3) on the boundary side, responsible for the deep 3rd on the right sideline:
Henderson drops to start the play, sees that Chase is running a quick out, plants and drives on the ball, he overcomits towards the sideline and Chase cuts inside of his tackle attempt to pick up 15 yards and a first down for LSU. CJ whiffed the tackle pretty badly here, but had great play recognition yet again; those 2 things seem to be a recurring theme in CJ's game not just in this matchup but overall. 

Q3 9:21 - 1st & 10 - Henderson is lined up in zone 7 yards off the L.O.S with an outside shade on the boundary side:
Henderson doesn't end up targeted on the play.

Q3: 8:50 - 2nd & 5 - Henderson is lined up in man coverage as a RCB on the boundary side, with an outside shade 5 yards off the L.O.S.:
Chase runs a quick slant underneath and CJ stumbles in coverage which allows Chase to make the catch & pick up the first down. 

Q3: 8:29 - 1st & 10 - Henderson is lined up in zone coverage as a RCB on the boundary side with an inside shade 5 yards off the L.O.S., his responsibility is the flat:
Henderson fakes a corner blitz (something he's particularly good at) and then drops to his assignment in the left flat, he sees that the MLB (#30) is covering Jefferson on the shallow cross coming into his zone, and that the RB is staying in to help chip for the LT in pass blocking. recognizing this CJ drops (knowing that one of the LBs will pick up the RB if he goes out for a dump off) Jefferson runs out of real estate and runs up the left sideline, seeing that the MLB #30 passes Jefferson off and goes to cover the RB. Jefferson does a great job of recognizing that Burrow broke the pocket and accordingly broke off his route into a pseudo "comeback" route to pick up the first down and a gain of 12. Henderson was looking to prevent the deep pass as he's the only man between Jefferson & the endzone, while allowing the catch & first down isn't ideal, it's preferable to getting beat deep and allowing LSU to tie up the game. [eventually if a play drags on this long coverage will break down, if the pass rush doesn't hit home, this happens]

Q3: 1:31 - 1st & 10 - Henderson is lined up at RCB in man coverage on the boundary side head up (no shade) against Chase:
Chase runs a post route, Henderson is on him like glue in coverage, and the FS in "robber" drops and knocks away the pass (should've been picked to be honest). Great coverage by Henderson on this play. 

Q4: 13:43 - 2nd & 8 - Henderson is lined up at LCB in man coverage 2 yards off the L.O.S. on the boundary side with an inside shade against Chase:
Chase runs a scat route, Henderson reads it perfectly and swats the pass down out of Chase's hands. great coverage and recognition by Henderson. 

Q4: 5:45 - 1st & 10 - Henderson is lined up at LCB on the boundary side in "brackets" (LSU motions their RB outside the numbers and the Gator LB follows, Henderson is now on the inside of the bracket and responsible for anything in towards the hashes/middle of the field, the LB has anything out towards the sideline and the SS is responsible for anything deep):
Chase & the RB cross with the Rb cutting in front & Chase cutting behind to run a fade down the the right sideline. The LB blows his assignment and follows the RB a few steps too far as he cuts in, Henderson plays the in to start the play (you can tell by his shade) and realizing that the LB isnt covering Chase, goes to cover him realizing the coverage is blown; the LB realizes his mental lapse and goes back to cover the "out" of Chase but in doing so picks/bumps Henderson and effectively takes him out of the play, the SS has his eyes on the CB & then the RB but realizes too late that Chase is breaking free deep and doesn't have the angle to stop Chase's speed from scoring & effectively icing the game late in the quarter. the 2nd TD this game that was "allowed" by Henderson where he was betrayed by the other defender in the bracket coverage.

Takeaways:
+Great Play Recognition
+Great Speed & Athleticism
-Poor Tackling
=Seems to prefer playing on the boundary side as opposed to the field side (makes sense given his tackling)

All in all, he did a fantastic job covering the best WR in college football for most of the night. He plays withhin his scheme and does his job, and has the awareness & play recognition to help out and make stops on guys that aren't even his assignments; before he commits to helping out a different assignment he seems to make sure that his responsibility is taken care of, he doesn't freelance the way the Jags DB's did last year which led to a lot of busted coverages and big plays. This guy is very clearly the 2nd best cornerback in this draft with a bright future. He reminds me a lot of a young Rashean Mathis who was another guy with great coverage skills, play recognition, awareness, and also poor tackling. I think we got a good one and anyone saying that he's a "reach" or a bad pick is speaking in hyperbole because it's just not true and the tape doesn't lie.... this kid is good. 

As far as it being a reach/opportunity cost of the other guys available ... I'll be honest, I wanted an OT specifically Andrew Thomas, but with him gone I thought Jedrick Wills & Wirfs are more RT's & we JUST drafted Jawaan Taylor last year who I think is every bit as good as those 2 guys and it was highway robbery for us to get him in round 2 last year; Becton's failed drug test coupled with him being 360 scared me but I can't deny his athleticism. With Simmonds off the board I think it was an easy decision to take CJ Henderson (after the medical issue was flagged with Jerry Jeudy's knee I didn't want a WR, this draft is too deep at that position & Gandy-Golden aka: a Ceedee Lamb clone, Pittman etc. all being available means selecting one in the first isn't good value, we can get first premium talent there into the top of the 4th round)

If you guys have any questions about the plays i'm describing let me know, if you like Firesky's Filmroom & want to see more I welcome your feedback and while I make no guarantees i'm open to taking requests if my time allows for it. Hope you all really enjoyed this edition & I hope we get a similarly talented player as Henderson on Day 2 today. GO JAGS!!! DUUUUUUUVVVVVAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome back!

Great work and great analysis!

He did well against Chase...which is far more than I can say for AJ Terrell.
(04-24-2020, 07:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome back!

I will say there seem to be only two clear #1 CBs in this draft and several who could be that guy. So I think he will be a productive player for the Jags. Chaisson, meanwhile, is high risk/reward.
(04-24-2020, 07:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome back!

Glad to be back! And yes Terrell isn't the same caliber that Henderson was, it makes a lot of sense that the Falcons wanted to trade up for Henderson rather than settle for Terrell; granted i think he's decent and Chase can make any DB in the NCAA look like a scrub because he's just THAT good. When I looked at the box score of Chase vs. Henderson before starting my analysis I went "Oh boy, looks like he got torched" but the more I watched the more impressed I was that Henderson was able to hang with him blow for blow for the most part.

I think Henderson may have a few "welcome to the NFL rookie" moments but with the Texans trading Hop I think he can lock down every WR in the division pretty early on in his career (he's the prototype for covering a guy like TY Hilton). I think there's about 5 tough tests for him given our 2020 schedule:

1 - Odell Beckham & Jarvis Landry (CLE)
2 - Davante Adams (GB)
3 - Keenan Allen (LAC)
4 - Allen Robinson (CHI) [really looking forward to this matchup!]
5 - Juju Smith-Schuster (PIT)

AJ Green depending on the way he bounces back from that injury last year at his age could be on the list; but guys in our division like Cooks, Fuller, Hilton etc. who rely on speed play directly into Henderson's strengths since he's every bit as fast (barring any drafted this weekend). Adam Thielan might be a difficult matchup for him as well after missing most of last year with a hamstring injury, assuming he bounces back fully.
Good stuff
Great breakdown firesky! I think he more than held his own against Jamar Chase. His speed is very evident.
(04-24-2020, 09:18 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: [ -> ]Great breakdown firesky! I think he more than held his own against Jamar Chase. His speed is very evident.

This was the best job of any CB in handling him throughout the season. I think that Henderson may play faster than he timed, and that's saying something because he timed pretty well!
Great breakdown. This is kind of upside is exactly why this pick makes sense and also why NFL teams were so high on Henderson despite a relatively mediocre season
(04-25-2020, 08:50 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Great breakdown. This is kind of upside is exactly why this pick makes sense and also why NFL teams were so high on Henderson despite a relatively mediocre season

Absolutely, I know he dealt with an ankle injury that nagged him most of the year and cost him 3 games, but I believe he played through it for a bit which may explain the "mediocre" season; also since the tape was out from 2018 I think a lot of teams in the conference just avoided throwing at him. I think what gets lost in draft analysis is that these players aren't finished products, it's easy to make a snap judgement about last fall and where he is now, but the draft is also a crystal ball business in projecting what you're going to grow to be & I think Henderson has unreal potential and is going to improve exponentially for us. Some of the quick hits/fun facts about him are actually insane:

-Allowed <20 catches every season he played at UF
-52.7% completion rate against him for his career
-Allowed <5 TD's his entire UF career including only 2 allowed in 2019 (both of which were to Jamar Chase in the LSU game but as discussed in the breakdown I find it hard to say it was him/his play directly that allowed those scores)
-7th fastest player at the combine (this isn't just CB's this is ALL positions)

https://www.si.com/college/florida/footb...eport-2020
https://www.si.com/college/florida/footb...ic-crocker

The above links are 2 good reads (wish i'd known about them when I did my original breakdown, but hey better late than never), and make me feel really good that they came to the same conclusions as I did about his play and his potential (especially since one of them is written by a former pro who makes his living breaking down film haha). I agree with their assessment that his issues/weaknesses (like tackling) are 100% coachable and are more about consistency rather than inability.

I've said it a few times, not just here but in other threads & predraft discussions. This kid reminds me A LOT of a young Rashean Mathis. I think by his 2nd or 3rd year he'll be at or above AJ Bouye's 2017 level of play (bold take, and high praise I know). All of that said, I hope that the Jags use him as a boundary corner like UF did, instead of pidgeon holing him into being just a "LCB" or "RCB" and having him play one side of the field.
Thanks for the work and info. Love the pick even more now (I was already on board)
Thanks, your breakdown makes me feel A LOT better about the pick as well. What's your thoughts on Chaisson and Shenault?
Thanks for this in-depth analysis. That's a lot of work.
Thanks and welcome back!

I'll take 10 years of Mathis again, yes please!
(04-29-2020, 02:55 PM)Go Jagwaas Derp Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, your breakdown makes me feel A LOT better about the pick as well. What's your thoughts on Chaisson and Shenault?

Haha I'm glad I could put your mind at ease, and i'm glad you enjoyed the breakdown! I could honestly do an entire breakdown for each of them because they're both as deserving of one as they are dynamic. Honestly, the fact we drafted them where we did is such a steal that it should be considered Highway robbery! I'll leave you with a paragraph/summary about each of them:

Chaisson: I agree with Caldwell's assessment that he's a better athlete/graded higher than Isaiah Simmonds. Normally the 2nd best pass rusher in a class should go top 10 but a major injury in 2018 (ACL), a "lack" of college production by means of sacks/stats & the sheer depth of the draft and quality prospects pushed him down 10 spots to us at 20! I was stunned he was still on the board. I don't think he was fully back from his ACL tear (or had confidence in the knee) until down the stretch late in the season, but once he did get back to form.... he TOOK OVER!!!!! He basically was the LSU defense in the CFP. He's athletically one of the top 5 most gifted players in this years class imho, he has some pass rush moves already (not really a handpunch or power moves though), but due to his youth (RS Sophomore) he's still very raw and missing 2018 means he may need a bit of coaching in his rookie year to catch his mind up to his body/athletic gifts. All of the criticisms against him boil down to 3 things:
1) "lacking power" which as a rush LB rather than a true DE makes a lot of sense.
2) Issues that stem from his return from injury/confidence in the knee (ex: losing balance when bending the edge; which puts a lot of strain on your knees. And absorbing blocks, and tbh if I tore my knee i'd be hesitant about taking on a guy 50 lb's heavier than me head on as well.
3) Youth, Inexperience, Lack of sacks/production which stems from him missing an entire season with an ACL tear and not getting back to form until late last year.

Player Comparison: Better version of Kevin Hardy https://www.jaguars.com/video/the-jaguar...evin-hardy, (I've also been reminded of a slightly smaller version of Aldon Smith but with more coverage ability/versatility) If he can pick up the playbook & adjust to NFL speed he could top 10 sacks by his 2nd or 3rd year, for his rookie year I expect him to play some SLB in base downs, and be used as a "DPR" (designated pass rusher) on 3rd and longs opposite Josh Allen.

Shenault: Unbelievable production in 2018, incredible toughness and played through injuries (that would've ended Fournette & some other guys season at this level) in 2019 that limited his production. A friend of mine up here in NY (Jets fan) who's alma mater is the University of Colorado was fuming that the Jags stole him away from the Jets. According to him he's the 3rd best WR in this class after Jeudy & Ceedee Lamb; he watched every game he played and said that the 5 WR's who went after Lamb & above Shenault aren't nearly as good & won't have the impact Shenault will right away (keep in mind that the friend who told me this, bc he's a Colorado Buffs fan, watches A LOT of PAC-16 football & 3/5 WR's drafted above Shenault were PAC-16 players: Reagor, Aiyuk, Pittman). Shenault strikes me as a super versatile player with extremely strong hands. The only real knocks on him are durability, and "unrefined" route running which is probably explained by him being moved around so much. I think by the end of his rookie year he'll have surpassed both Dede & Conley as the #2 option in this offense behind Chark; and will be our go to possession guy on 3rd downs.

Player Comparison: Stockier/more physical version of Deebo Samuel with better hands and more versatility. (I've also been reminded of Anquan Boldin, but I think Shenault is a lot faster than Boldin was and every bit as physical.

Suffice to say I think Dave knocked it out of the park with these 3 picks; if they live up to their potential (which is really what they were drafted for along with their athleticism) this has the potential to be the best 3 rounds of a draft since the 2016 draft that gave us: Ramsey, Jack & Yannick. I understand the doubts people have, but I think they'll make believers out of all of us by their 2nd year; they may take some lumps as rookies (like DJ Chark did) but I think the payoff down the line will be well worth it! If I can find the time I'd be open to doing a full breakdown on either of them, or another player we acquired, might start a poll for that ... "Firesky's Filmroom - Blank #2" hahahaha.
He has every bit of the upside as Okudah has