Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags draft rank graded 9th amoung the experts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One one hand it sounds impressive.  On the other hand, we had an additional 1st round pick and 12 total picks.  Kinda loses it's luster.   I hope the experts are right

[Image: EWiYeQoXgAMljzG?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
NICE FIND !! I LOVE CHARTS LIKE THIS.

I wonder if these "experts" take into consideration the loss of Ramsey when they evaluate the 1st round pick of Chaisson (as 50% of our compensation from the Rams). Likewise, the Dolphins had many 1st round picks, but they had to give up Minkah Fitzpatrick and Laremy Tunsil
Yeah it depends how you grade it. If you look at just overall haul we did well cause we had so many picks including two 1sts. If you look at value per pick I think we came up well short. If you create a graph combining people who did it both ways it probably average out to about 9th I wouldn't disagree with that.
I love the Cowboys draft. Would have been perfect for us (maybe with an OT instead of a CB in the 4th).
(04-26-2020, 03:30 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: [ -> ]I love the Cowboys draft. Would have been perfect for us (maybe with an OT instead of a CB in the 4th).

On a per pick basis,  factoring in that the higher the round, the greater the weight,  I thought on paper the Cowboys had one of the best drafts in a long time. Not just this year.  They were repeatedly getting players I thought would go at least somewhat earlier than they ended up being taken.
I love Ceedee as much as the next guy but it was a severe luxury pick for a team with an awful defense. Cooper and Gallup are plenty good enough and with the depth of the WR class they definitely shouldve gone defense in Rd 1. Although I imagine stealing Lamb from PHI (potentially) mustve been quite the bonus for them haha
Could have been top three - five IMHO if they had taken Tyler Biadasz, Bryce Hall and Curtis Weaver between those last two picks in RD4 and that first pick in RD5. That's the only problem I had with this draft class. On paper? It kind of makes sense if Wash is planning on going more man-to-man with the intent to blitz the [BLEEP] out of QB's or at least fill up running lanes with the front seven.

But, the idea that we could have had a starter like Biadasz, a CB like Hall that was a late RD1 - early RD2 prospect prior to the injuries and Weaver who is actually a pretty stout run defender to add to the front seven it would have been better IMHO. Also, not getting a RB like Joshua Kelley, Eno Benjamin or Anthony McFarland Jr. bummed me out a bit. Especially with all of this talk about Fournette being on the trading block.

With that said? Listen, if Gruden has a good plan installed for Minshew and he thinks he can get more out of this group from last year than Flip did? Fine. And if Wash thinks he can scheme better with these guys this year on the roster? That's also fine. But if all of that goes down the [BLEEP] tube and we start seeing the offensive line getting pushed around or injured? A lot of people will be back on here saying "I told you so". Especially given the history of injuries on that line.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Vikings had fifteen pics.  That is crazy.
We're also graded the best in our division and 4th in the AFC. That's pretty good.
(04-27-2020, 12:06 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]We're also graded the best in our division and 4th in the AFC.  That's pretty good.

I honestly think Ballard crushed it this year within our division. Especially for a team that gave up it's 1st RD pick for Buckner who will pay dividends early for their defense. He goes into RD2 understanding that Rivers will need more than just T.Y Hilton to throw the football to and he snags Pittman at WR, Taylor at RB and he got a pretty good deal in Rivers heir apparent with Eason in RD4. 

Julian Blackmon at S is going to be pretty good. Don't be shocked if that kids up there on a weekly basis with Chase Young for DROY honors. I think that's an underrated pick for them. And he has CB instincts playing back there at S but will not hesitate to stick his nose in there and then some in the ground game. Patmon with his size and speed at WR could end up a steal for them in the 6th RD. 

Rivers is known for not being shy and giving guys a chance to go up and get it.
Cowboys is dumb I’m sorry, but the ONLY reason it’s considered great is cuz #1 CD fell to them, but #2 Jerry just listens to the national media for his scouting reports, so everyone names we’ve been hearing for months are the same names that are atop Jerry’s board.

It’s as if a Fan listening to Kiper, DJ, McShay, etc were drafting
(04-27-2020, 01:11 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Cowboys is dumb I’m sorry, but the ONLY reason it’s considered great is cuz #1 CD fell to them, but #2 Jerry just listens to the national media for his scouting reports, so everyone names we’ve been hearing for months are the same names that are atop Jerry’s board.

It’s as if a Fan listening to Kiper, DJ, McShay, etc were drafting

Concur.  Everything runs through that offensive line.  Zeke is an amazing RB but he's getting 350 touches a year.   Amari is a solid receiver but that team RUNS through that O-Line.  Dak is a middling QB who will never get them over the hump; although with Jones in NY/the QB Mess in Washington...SOMEONE has to win the NFC East.
(04-27-2020, 12:06 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]We're also graded the best in our division and 4th in the AFC. That's pretty good.

That's only really because we had damn near as many picks as the rest of the division combined. On a pick value basis I think the rest of the division did pretty well.
Yes, Ballard killed it, he's a top flight GM. Ravens (again) killed it too.

I don't know, teams see Dallas and Indy build these monster OLs and have success. Build the OL!!
(04-27-2020, 03:56 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, Ballard killed it, he's a top flight GM. Ravens (again) killed it too.

I don't know, teams see Dallas and Indy build these monster OLs and have success. Build the OL!!

Dave tried he's used high picks and/or big $ FA at every oline position. He just missed on several and inability to move on from clear misses is his biggest flaw.
(04-27-2020, 03:35 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2020, 12:06 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]We're also graded the best in our division and 4th in the AFC.  That's pretty good.

That's only really because we had damn near as many picks as the rest of the division combined. On a pick value basis I think the rest of the division did pretty well.

Texans and Titans had a pretty bad draft bar Titans snagging Fulton. Blacklock is good also
(04-27-2020, 05:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2020, 03:35 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]That's only really because we had damn near as many picks as the rest of the division combined. On a pick value basis I think the rest of the division did pretty well.

Texans and Titans had a pretty bad draft bar Titans snagging Fulton. Blacklock is good also

Yep if Chaisson was a steal, as many have said, because he was frequently mocked 17 and we got him at 20...how big of steals were Blacklock and Fulton in the 2nd round when they were often mocked to us at 20?
(04-27-2020, 05:23 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2020, 05:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Texans and Titans had a pretty bad draft bar Titans snagging Fulton. Blacklock is good also

Yep if Chaisson was a steal, as many have said, because he was frequently mocked 17 and we got him at 20...how big of steals were Blacklock and Fulton in the 2nd round when they were often mocked to us at 20?

Blacklock was never going at #20 in a million years in reality though. Fulton sure, but he was probably their only actually good pick after a horrific 1st rounder.  

They had bad drafts, worse ones than us even considering we had more of them to use and higher placements
That is a good find. The experts seem to think we had a great draft. The fans are hit and miss. As a guy that doesn’t watch college, I don’t have a clue other than seeing the consensus of the board and what the “experts” say. I personally haven’t read anything bad about our draft. Caldwell has brought in decent talent over the years. We haven’t been able to keep them all. I can’t solely put that on him. So, for that, I’m optimistic. Can’t say I’m optimistic for the season, but hopefully we’ve got some good ones or some that can develop and leave us later.
(04-27-2020, 01:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]

I honestly think Ballard crushed it this year within our division. Especially for a team that gave up it's 1st RD pick for Buckner who will pay dividends early for their defense. He goes into RD2 understanding that Rivers will need more than just T.Y Hilton to throw the football to and he snags Pittman at WR, Taylor at RB and he got a pretty good deal in Rivers heir apparent with Eason in RD4. 

Julian Blackmon at S is going to be pretty good. Don't be shocked if that kids up there on a weekly basis with Chase Young for DROY honors. I think that's an underrated pick for them. And he has CB instincts playing back there at S but will not hesitate to stick his nose in there and then some in the ground game. Patmon with his size and speed at WR could end up a steal for them in the 6th RD. 

Rivers is known for not being shy and giving guys a chance to go up and get it.
I do like what the Colts did but give me Shenault over Pittman

(04-27-2020, 05:36 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2020, 05:23 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Yep if Chaisson was a steal, as many have said, because he was frequently mocked 17 and we got him at 20...how big of steals were Blacklock and Fulton in the 2nd round when they were often mocked to us at 20?

Blacklock was never going at #20 in a million years in reality though. Fulton sure, but he was probably their only actually good pick after a horrific 1st rounder.  

They had bad drafts, worse ones than us even considering we had more of them to use and higher placements

Fulton was never cracking the first round either.  He went right about where he should have.
Pages: 1 2