Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Seasonal Flu - not Wuhan virus related
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I watched a video rant by Scott Adams. In it he said he talked to several doctors, none of whom had a patient, or who's hospital had a patient, who died of the seasonal flu. Not just this year, but any year. So he asked if any of his listeners know anyone who actually died from the flu. He points out that most people know at least one person who died from a drug OD, suicide, and gunshot. All of those are listed as less deaths per year than the flu.

Does anyone here know someone who died from the flu? I don't.
(05-06-2020, 03:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]I watched a video rant by Scott Adams. In it he said he talked to several doctors, none of whom had a patient, or who's hospital had a patient, who died of the seasonal flu. Not just this year, but any year. So he asked if any of his listeners know anyone who actually died from the flu. He points out that most people know at least one person who died from a drug OD, suicide, and gunshot. All of those are listed as less deaths per year than the flu.

If 50,000 people in the United States die of the seasonal flu each year, that's 1 in 7,000 people, so it shouldn't be surprising that one would not know someone who died of the flu.  

I do know a person who committed suicide, although everyone was told it was something else, but his close friends say it was suicide.  

I would suspect that a lot of flu deaths are elderly people whose obituaries say something like "...died after a brief illness."  When you're 95 years old, if you get sick, you die.  

But what point is he trying to make?
(05-06-2020, 03:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]I watched a video rant by Scott Adams. In it he said he talked to several doctors, none of whom had a patient, or who's hospital had a patient, who died of the seasonal flu. Not just this year, but any year. So he asked if any of his listeners know anyone who actually died from the flu. He points out that most people know at least one person who died from a drug OD, suicide, and gunshot. All of those are listed as less deaths per year than the flu.

I had a friend about 10 years ago die of the flu.  He was in his 40's and in good health, got the flu and was dead 3 days later.  Cause of death was high fever, which I believe caused issues with his organs.  He left behind a wife and two children.  It was a surprise and a terrible loss.

David
They died of a compromised immune system. Flu normally takes the very young and very old.
I suppose it isn't dishonest to list the deaths as flu-related, because flu was the catalyst that overwhelmed the weakened defenses.